Comments please on hang on stands.

Appleman

I've always used Summitt climbers for 20+ years. Thinking of adding a hang on stand to my land as another stand. Please post comments/stand recommendations or pros and cons using a hang on. Thanks!!

Vermin93

Depends on a number of things. Hang on stands range in price from $30 for low-end, Chinese-made steel stands to well over $200 for American-made, cast aluminum stands, with just about everything in between.

Do you intend to move it frequently or leave it out all season?
Are you worried about theft?
What do you intend to use to climb the tree - a tree ladder? climbing sticks? tree steps?
How much are you willing to spend for the hang on and whatever tree climbing solution you use?

If you have a budget then it's easier to make recommendations in your price range. Doesn't do any good to recommend a $250 Millennium 150 and a $110 set of Ameristep Rapid Rails if you've only got a $150 budget.

deerhunter10

for 150.00 you could be two ladder stands. I don't feel as safe in them as I do a climber or ladder stand. but we do have a few. if you do get them just don't cheap out and buy the screw in steps buy the ladder. will save you a whole lot of head aches.

Vermin93

The big thing in hang on stands these days is comfortable mesh seats that actually allow you to sit still much longer then you are able to with typical hang on stands that have cheap, uncomfortable cushion seats. These mesh seat stands were first popularized with the famously comfortable Millennium M100 hang on, and in the past year or two other similar stands have become available like the Millennium M25, the Millennium M50, the Gorilla King Kong Expedition HX and the new Big Game Prodigy.

If you really want a hang on for private land and your budget is $150, then you would be very hard pressed to beat this combination:

Millennium Steel Hang-On Treestand 24x30in (17lbs) M25 - $76.73

Millennium 20ft Stick Climber 5-4ft Sections (17lbs) M210 - $54.38

Millennium TreeStand M25 Hangon Stand

MUP

I abandoned my climber years ago for loc ons Appleman. I own my property, so I have kinda figured out over the years where the deer are likely moving, for the most part, and have set various loc on setups, to hunt various wind directions. Pros for me are the quiet entry and exit you can make, and also not have to lug a stand to and from every single time you go in and out. Cons would be that you are a little more limited in mobility, or on the spot set ups...but, I do still have a climber that I can use in a pinch if need be. ;)

bowriter

R.I.P.
For about 20-years, I was a total climber man. Then I started using a variety of hang-on stands and seldom used a climber again.

Advantges to a Climber:
1- Mobility.
2-Prevent theft
4-If you are real good, you can move the stand in minutes and be in the exactly right tree.

Disadvantges to a climber:
1-Weight when carrying
2-Noisey and time consuming even for the best users.

Advantages to a Hang-on:
1- Can place on almost any tree-I have some that hang level on leaning trees; can be placed above limbs in good cover.
2-Silent entry. Once the stand is placed, you can slip in quietly and be up the tree in seconds.

Disadvantages to hang-on:
1-You are locked into that tree once placed unless you take the time to move and re-hang.
2-If you leave in woods, easy to steal.

Today, 75% of my stands are ladders and 25% are fixed position or hang-on. In terms of killing deer, the ladders win by a huge majority but that is placement, not stand type. In terms of comfort, they are equal. I terms of silence of movement in the stand, equal.

That is my evaluation from the days before we had any stands of any kind except fallen cypress trees.

Poleaxe

I'll give you the best advice on em. I would rather want a hang on than to buy one. I wasn't to upset when I had my only one stolen before the season. I've never been as exhausted from putting up a stand. It made it a little easier using a line man's belt but I kept wondering when my arms were gonna give away and the stand fall on my head. I've put up 2 in the past and they were gonna be there FOR LIFE. I would checkout Craigslist and try and buy a used climber and some climbing sticks if you don't want the hassle of climbing. Some people love them and that's great but I hate them.

warpheagle

As an older hunter, I feel I have "evolved", or "worn down", which ever way you want to look at it. In my younger years, I always hunted from a climber. I could walk in a mile or 2 with stand on my back, no problem. As I got older, I started accumulating hang ons and stick ladders. Worked fine for a number of years, but as I've gotten even older, I am less steady than I used to be, and I've given away my hang ons to younger guys and started changing things to ladders, due to the sense of being safer and steadier. All 3 types can be used successfully if done carefully. JMO.

Bottom Hunter

I have used them for many years and stopped using anything else. Now, if I am hunting a field edge, then a ladder stand is okay, but in the woods, especially for archery, it's hang-ons only!

I hated climbers because I just felt so open with no limbs beneath me. With hang-ons, I can get above lower limbs which provides great cover.

I have had Gorilla stands for years and like them. I just use the standard climbing sticks (cheap) because I have never had one stolen. I can take one down and put it back up in like 30 minutes, so I would call that "portable". I can strap my stand on my back and carry three stick sections in each hand and go about anywhere I need to.

Another tip. If you are afraid of thieves where you hunt, then try this. Use those climbing sections that don't have to be linked together, but just strap on the tree. Rapid Rails or Stagger Steps. They are expensive, costing about 100 bucks per three foot section, but they can be brought in and put on the tree quickly. Just put as many on the tree as you need, set the stand up, then when you leave take the bottom section with you. I would do this if hunting on public land, but would never go to that expense on private land because you can buy a 20 foot climbing stick for what one section of these cost. I guess it is possible to take one of the climbing stick sections off, but I have never tried that.

IMO, ladder stands are too bulky and hard to set up alone. Climbing stands are too open for me, but hangons provide enough mobility, ease of setup/take down and concealment to work most anywhere....

good luck with your decision.

Winchester

Hang ons are a great tool that's needed in any serious hunters bag of tools! I recommend the climbing sticks that come in sections, as you can use as many as is needed per situation, and move these around the tree, over limbs, etc. where the one piece sticks have to basically go straight up the tree all in one piece, not as versatile. I also use a system called "treehopper" which is great on private property. Its basically an auger bit that fits any cordless drill, and 8 inch hardened pins that go in the holes you drill. I can install a hang on in 5 mins start to finish with this system and it weighs about a quarter of climbing sticks. I also use Loggy Bayou hang on stands that literally slide in a bracket that hangs on the tree. I can have a half dozen brackets hanging on a property with pins already installed in these trees ( I remove bottom 3 to keep people from stealing anything). I then can carry my 7 lb loggy and simply walk up the pins and drop my stand in the bracket and Im ready to hunt in less than a minute. Great system for these steep mtns here where a long walk is the norm. Makes me very mobile without losing time or making noise.

thetoolman

I sold my Summit Viper last year as it sat in the garage the entire season as it was my second season with the millenium M100. This year is my third season with the millenium and I have three receivers that I can hang in separate trees. I use two cheap sets of climbing sticks for permanent stand locations. I just take my stand and slide it into the receiver. Depending on the size of your property you can by the millenium receivers for $25-30 a piece and leave them in the tree and take your stand with you.

Definately the most comfortable stand I have ever hunted out of. I think the M150 is a little larger than the M100 but essentially the same stand.

The only thing I plan to add to my stand collection is either a Guidos Web or New Tribe Aero Hunter for public land setups.

Mike Belt

I love hang on stands but I haven't tried many types so I can't speak for them. Some of them look pretty good and I like the idea of the bracket systems allowing you to have several up in different locations and all you have to do is drop the stand into the brackets.. I have an Ole Man and several Non-Typicals. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more secure hang on stand than the Non-Typical. I can jump and stomp on any corner of mine while they're up and they don't budge. They also have shooting rails you can add. I also use the Rapid Rails. I buy a set of 4 and then add a couple of extra rails allowing me to get 25 feet...higher if I can use limbs along the way.

The downside to the set of 6 rails is that they aren't lightweight and they aren't cheap. The upside to them (or any set of separate step systems versus climbing ladder systems) is that you can go around limbs as need be on your way up and you can get up twisting or leaning trees without having to cut all the limbs out of the way to do so.

fairchaser

I use climbers and ladder stands exclusively. Seems like the accidents I have heard about recently involved loc ons where the strap broke or people fell while installing. I also like having a rail around me. I wonder how many hunters go to a new spot with their loc on and put it up in the dark and hunt that morning. None. But I do see the advantage with a loc on when you have no decent climbing trees in the perfect spot. Also the extra cover you get from limbs helps. I predict the next generation of climber will have the ability to safely detach and reattach to the tree to go around limbs. My recommendation for a loc on would be anything with a chain versus a nylon strap.

Latest posts