cold weather clothing

thetoolman

I have the RedHead CWS that I have had for the past 10 seasons, it is bulky but I don't get cold. My feet do, but nothing I have done seems to change that. If I were buying right now a whole new system it would consist of Merino Wool, Down, and Windproof clothing.

DaveB

I wear ECWS long john top and bottom, 100% wool socks, blue jeans, camo pants, long sleeve compression shirt, camo shirt, neck gaiter, warm hat, vest jacket, gloves with warmers.

Got caught in Los Angeles Nat'l forest at 4800 feet in a nasty storm. Got my tail severely whipped on a Colorado hunt that went bad and got worse from there. Never ever be caught out in bad weather. You can die fast.

Pic IN the Casa

Merino wool under layers. Fleece and/or wool sweaters (merino).

Here's you a bargain tip: Stop in a Goodwill from time to time. I've found 100% wool sweaters on the serious cheap. Some I leave in tact some I cut sleeves off to cut down on the bulk while layering.
You can find regular camo there too.

I also found a Drake waterfowl jacket really cheap there once and that thing is as warm as momma's hugs.

botta

Couple pair marino socks. 2000 gram boots. Insulated bibs. Heated Bosch jacket (with extra batteries) and large oversized outer jacket. Gloves/ hats .

280longshot

thetoolman said:
I have the RedHead CWS that I have had for the past 10 seasons, it is bulky but I don't get cold. My feet do, but nothing I have done seems to change that. If I were buying right now a whole new system it would consist of Merino Wool, Down, and Windproof clothing.

I have the Redhead CWS also and you aren't getting cold but you sure can't walk far.

Brisco Darlin

usally one pair wool socks, UA base, fleece pullover, wool shirt, fleece vest and a carhart coat, toboggan, glomitts. if it gets down below 20, i'll wear woolrich wool overalls.

thetoolman

280longshot said:
thetoolman said:

I have the Redhead CWS also and you aren't getting cold but you sure can't walk far.

You aint kidding. I have been out when it was 3 degrees when I left the truck, never had a problem getting cold, but I carry my coat if I have to walk any distance.

I am starting to slowly upgrade my clothing to get a little less bulk and more maneuverability.

weatherby man

Try putting on cotton socks with your boots for the walk in and after they get a little chilly change into some wool or heavier wicking socks. My feet were getting too warm early and sweating on the way in and then damp feet never get warm without a fire. So I did this several times and it has me keeping my feet fine.

Mark71211

I went goose huntung today and it was 20 plus snowing its butt off. I must say that the one piece of clothing that I say kept me warm was a wool sweater. It cost me about $200 about 12 years ago and was well worth the money.

TboneD

weatherby man":1jjfvyyg said:
Try putting on cotton socks with your boots for the walk in and after they get a little chilly change into some wool or heavier wicking socks. My feet were getting too warm early and sweating on the way in and then damp feet never get warm without a fire. So I did this several times and it has me keeping my feet fine.

Maybe your boots have TOO much insulation or maybe they're not completely drying out between hunts. In any case, although wool, socks included, still insulates fairly when damp, the best tip there is to keep feet warm on a metal treestand is to use some kind of pad on the part where you rest your boots. I bought the Summit one, cut it in half to reduce the weight, and haven't worn my heaviest insulated hunting boots for at least two seasons now.

TboneD

thetoolman":2pmzqxx5 said:
280longshot said:
thetoolman said:

You aint kidding. I have been out when it was 3 degrees when I left the truck, never had a problem getting cold, but I carry my coat if I have to walk any distance.

I am starting to slowly upgrade my clothing to get a little less bulk and more maneuverability.

I'm not a big guy, but I've got a parka that actually makes my Summit Viper feel cramped. This week I ordered a pair of Smart Wool bottoms and last night I ordered a fleece jacket with a wind breaking liner. A down jacket to wear under a water/wind proof shell is on the list, but you better not get it wet. Bass Pro Shop's CWS has been discontinued, and for good reason. Not only was it very bulky, but if you get within an inch of the smallest briar you've got a tear. Kudos to Bass Pro Shop, though. I had the CWS bibs and they gave me my money back after getting briar tears two trips in a row.

Benbocat1

At one time early on, I didn't have much money to spend. I wore my parka that I wore everyday and long handle underwear under my jeans. I bought a pair of mesh camo to wear over them. Worked great. My second generation of clothing was heavy duty clothing from Cabella's. It worked also but was bulky. Two years ago, I went to Walmart and bought a light weight wind resistent scent control jacket in Mossy Oak. It is not insulated but has a tight knit second layer and matching pants good for cool mornings.t. I shopped around and bought two light down jackets one sized one size larger than the other for real cold mornings. I've hunted over 40 years. I bought the Russell stretch long handle underwear that stretches at Walmart also. I bought two pair and it is great...two pair for the coldest mornings. I now have the best hunting clothes ever. I did buy two pair of light weight camo pants for warm weather archery at Bass Pro. The Russell underwea wicks away moisture.

redlegs07

I've got my system. I wear it all when real cold or wear up to what I need. Going to merino base layers when I find a deal but I'll be honest the Rocky fleece works. I buy it at Walmart on clearance when I can.

Rocky Fleece base layer shirt
Core4element Assault Shirt
Browning Hells Canyon hoodie
Browning Hells Canyon Nitro Jacket

Rocky fleece bottoms
Columbia stealth shot pants
Browning Hells Canyon Nitro Bibs

Costco merino wool socks
Hot hands boot warmers
Irish setter 800g boots
Arctic Shield boot covers.

orange hunting cap
Fleece hood/face cover thing if needed

Thin, green, Army surplus wool gloves
Or
Redhead insulated gloves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

280longshot

I really swear by the fleece neck gator. I generally dont wear it walking to the stand. I settle down and when I start cooling off I put it on. Makes a world of difference.

r'ville a-bolt

mendl 400 gram ultra lite boots one thin pair of polyester socks with a toe warmer on top of foot then wool sock over that. As far as my feet I changed to these boots over a pair of Rocky Bear claw 1000 gram and my feet stayed much warmer with a lower gram with the exact same sock setup. I layer in thermals bottoms and top then fleece pants with a pair of camo cargo style thin pants. upper body thermal then long sleeve camo tee and a camo fleece. Now this year my wonderful wife outfitted me in a Gore-Tex MT050 rain suit the light weight one this suit acted as my final layer and made a huge difference along with the new boots this was my most comfortable year hunting cold days and I never put my heavy bibs on.

FishnFed

check out the post a few down entitled "body heater suit". I have never used one, but like I stated in my reply, a guy who is practically a professional hunter I know, has one and swears by it.

Latest posts