Cold weather gear

Jon54

Now that it's about to get hot again, I'm planning for the cold?

As I get older, I'm less able to stay warm. My current gear is bulky and is difficult to move around quietly and even makes mounting my rifle difficult. Suggestions? I know there's a lot of new technology out there.

TNRifleman

Layers is the key. Good merino base layer followed by a mid weight merino or possibly a "super yarn" type fabric with a wind proof outer layer works well for me. Keep you ears, neck and feet warm and the rest of your body generally follows suit.

fairchaser

The under armor stuff is expensive but well worth the cost. Lightweight but warm, breathes but waterproof.

tree_ghost

fairchaser":2rd6gp96 said:
The under armor stuff is expensive but well worth the cost. Lightweight but warm, breathes but waterproof.

X2 or if you keep a look out on some of the forums you can find very gently used Sitka or Firstlite or something in that class for roughly half the price it is new. I can't afford to purchase that stuff from a store but I have a good collection put together now for cents on the dollar. Good camo is a lifetime investment IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNRifleman

I have switched everything over to Kuiu. It is pricey but it is outstanding and the fit is awesome. It is more of an athletic fit but has the right length in the arms and torso for someone over 6' tall.

LanceS4803

TNRifleman":3sd108lv said:
I have switched everything over to Kuiu. It is pricey but it is outstanding and the fit is awesome. It is more of an athletic fit but has the right length in the arms and torso for someone over 6' tall.

Same here.
It's expensive, but they have frequent sales (Memorial sale going on right now).
I am considering it an investment, as in the last set of cold weather gear I'll ever have to buy.

Mike Belt

As with many things, you get what you pay for. Cold weather hunting clothes fall into that category. You spend all kinds of time and money and energy into hunting but if you get cold you're miserable and your hunts are generally cut short. Quality hunting clothes are usually expensive on the front end but less expensive over the long haul and they work, they cut down on the bulk of multi layering, and they last for seasons to come. It would behoove anyone in the market for cold weather gear to consider that before buying.

String Music

Two layers of merino base layers, some type of down insulation, then an outer layer that is wind proof. Plenty of hot hands for super cold mornings.

I too use KUIU for my base and mid layers and love it.

String Music

Arctic Shield makes excellent outer layers. Their jackets and bibs are thin but very warm. I'd look into them. Also, Cabela's makes high-quality clothing and you can usually catch their stuff on sale, especially this time of year. The MTO50 and Wooltimate gear is hard to beat.

scn

RandyinTN":1ow3jlbv said:
Try to make sure you don't develop a sweat going to your stand.

x2

If you are walking any distance into your stand, a big backpack can be the most essential thing in keeping you warm on stand. If you sweat, once you get on stand your body will be expending a bunch of btu's in evaporating that moisture in your clothing. The evaporation process cools in the winter just like it does for you in the summer.

So, as Randy posted, the key is to not break a heavy sweat walking in. You can do it by allowing some extra time for your walk in and going slow enough that you don't sweat. But, the easiest method for me is to carry in the majority of my clothes and dress at the bottom of the stand. Even in extreme cold, on most of my walks in I'll have one thin layer of merino on top during the walk. You start off cold, but it doesn't take very long for that one layer to be more than enough as you are walking.

DMD

scn":256ksjig said:
RandyinTN":256ksjig said:
Try to make sure you don't develop a sweat going to your stand.

x2

If you are walking any distance into your stand, a big backpack can be the most essential thing in keeping you warm on stand. If you sweat, once you get on stand your body will be expending a bunch of btu's in evaporating that moisture in your clothing. The evaporation process cools in the winter just like it does for you in the summer.

So, as Randy posted, the key is to not break a heavy sweat walking in. You can do it by allowing some extra time for your walk in and going slow enough that you don't sweat. But, the easiest method for me is to carry in the majority of my clothes and dress at the bottom of the stand. Even in extreme cold, on most of my walks in I'll have one thin layer of merino on top during the walk. You start off cold, but it doesn't take very long for that one layer to be more than enough as you are walking.

I concur with this 100%! Great post.

Mr.Bro

I agree with the Browning Hydro Fleece. My 15 year old Browning over my light weight Under Armor will take care of 45 degrees and light rain. Over that I can put on my Browning Hells Canyon bibs and coat and be comfortable in below freezing temps all day. Only trouble is I'm pretty sure they don't make the Hydro Fleece anymore.

TNReb

I bought quality merino wool base layers last year and it helped tremendously. I have still never found anything that can even come close to keeping my feet warm though, and that's the reason I can't stay on stand very long on those bone chilling mornings. I'd pay top dollar for something that actually worked.

ruger7mag

2-Step Enabled
TNReb":3lpdghdf said:
I bought quality merino wool base layers last year and it helped tremendously. I have still never found anything that can even come close to keeping my feet warm though, and that's the reason I can't stay on stand very long on those bone chilling mornings. I'd pay top dollar for something that actually worked.

Have you tried Arctic Shield boot covers? They really do work.

TNReb

ruger7mag":blufne9y said:
TNReb":blufne9y said:

Have you tried Arctic Shield boot covers? They really do work.

I haven't. I've read a lot of negatives about them. I may give them a try this year.

280longshot

I have a pair and have used them, but have found that putting them on once in your stand works better so don't wait until your feet start getting cold.
I good merino wool sock and 600-800 gram boot is generally what works best for me.
Using too much sock or a tight boot seems to make it worse, and once your feet start sweating, it's best to change socks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TNReb

280longshot":neg8dv18 said:
I have a pair and have used them, but have found that putting them on once in your stand works better so don't wait until your feet start getting cold.
I good merino wool sock and 600-800 gram boot is generally what works best for me.
Using too much sock or a tight boot seems to make it worse, and once your feet start sweating, it's best to change socks.

I'll give it a whirl. I have good 100% merino socks and I've tried different sorts of boots...

When you use them, are you just slipping them on over your boot in our stand, or removing your boot and putting your feet in them?

Latest posts