Rain Gear 2022

UCStandSitter

Looking for the holy grail of rain gear fellas. Been on this quest for months and haven't found a good solution yet.

I do realize I am being VERY picky here because I want adequate rain protection and complete silence. Obviously, I'll have to give a bit on one or the other, that's why I say "adequate" rain protection. I can deal with some moisture to favor the silence side.

What works for you? Sitka is off the table. That stuff is LOUD. They do a lot of stuff right but rain gear ain't one of em.

EDIT:
Articulated sleeves are a plus. Bowhunting need

Last edited:

BSK

I've tried several different types of raingear and I've finally had to admit, if it isn't Goretex, don't bother. It won't keep you dry. And I've tried everybody's knock-off breathable waterproof barrier. None work except Goretex.

Last edited:

East TN Bowhunter

If you want 100% dry and somewhat quiet go with Goretex. I have the Cabelas MT050 pack rain jacket and that thing is light and will keep you dry in the worst down pours. Otherwise just wear something like a tech fleece columbia jacket and be light rain resistant and super quiet. But any down pour you are soaked. Ive tried it all except Kuiu and Sitka.

UCStandSitter

I really wish I could go try these things on, stand in the rain for half an hour and walk around a bit. It would really stink to drop over $500 only to find out something doesn't meet my needs. I know there isn't a perfect solution here but, I'd love to find something that would at least cover me 75%. I may just stick with my old Marmot green rain jacket. It's a bit loud but not too prone to wet out. I feel like it stands out like a sore thumb in the tree though. Especially after the canopy has dropped and I'm sitting there like a green ball. Know for a fact it got me busted in late November last year. Buck looked right at me from 50 yds, turned around and high tailed it out of there.

TheLBLman

About the only good alternative for bowhunting may be to just wear wool base layers, accept the fact.you're going to be wet. I often wear a wool base under Cabela's Microtex (as a 1st outer layer). Microtex isn't waterproof, but it doesn't absorb much moisture, and it's very quick drying.

I use the MT50 for heavy rains.
At least when it's steadily raining, including everything still dripping after it quits, absolute quietness of the clothing is not as critical when bowhunting.

Also, wear a large waterproof "hat" rather than a "cap". A large hat will keep a lot of rain from running down your neck/back.

UCStandSitter

About the only good alternative for bowhunting may be to just wear wool base layers, accept the fact.you're going to be wet. I often wear a wool base under Cabela's Microtex (as a 1st outer layer). Microtex isn't waterproof, but it doesn't absorb much moisture, and it's very quick drying.

I use the MT50 for heavy rains.
At least when it's steadily raining, including everything still dripping after it quits, absolute quietness of the clothing is not as critical when bowhunting.

Also, wear a large waterproof "hat" rather than a "cap". A large hat will keep a lot of rain from running down your neck/back.
But I'm so sweet, I might melt. :)

JCDEERMAN

Just remember, you can get away with more sound than you think when it is raining. Totally get where you're coming from, as I always choose silence over everything else. But if your really wanting comfort, I've found that the gear will be a little more noisy. But again, if it's raining, you can get away with a little more.

East TN Bowhunter

This is the only rainsuit I've tried that really works. They are expensive though.
I finally broke down lasy year and got one. My Dad had a 100mph goretex jacket and thats how i saw first hand that Goretex is no joke. We would crappie fish in steady rains for 3-4 hours and he would be dry as a bone. They make a little noise but to me if im careful while in stand im not going to get busted barely moving around by the noise of it. Now if you stalking on the ground and moving a lot it might be a little noisy but ive heard way worse.

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
This is the way i see it. If its raining enough that you actually need rain gear then sound isnt nearly as important as most think. The reason being, just sit and listen when its just drizzling a little. Its pretty tough to hear anything that isnt just obvious, That being said, I love my sitka rain gear as well as the old cabelas whitetail stuff i had for many years.
I got a sitka rain jacket last year and i love it as its good at keeping me dry and fairly quiet

UCStandSitter

This is the way i see it. If its raining enough that you actually need rain gear then sound isnt nearly as important as most think. The reason being, just sit and listen when its just drizzling a little. Its pretty tough to hear anything that isnt just obvious, That being said, I love my sitka rain gear as well as the old cabelas whitetail stuff i had for many years.
I got a sitka rain jacket last year and i love it as its good at keeping me dry and fairly quiet
Which model from Sitka?

Hduke86

Looking for the holy grail of rain gear fellas. Been on this quest for months and haven't found a good solution yet.

I do realize I am being VERY picky here because I want adequate rain protection and complete silence. Obviously, I'll have to give a bit on one or the other, that's why I say "adequate" rain protection. I can deal with some moisture to favor the silence side.

What works for you? Sitka is off the table. That stuff is LOUD. They do a lot of stuff right but rain gear ain't one of em.

EDIT:
Articulated sleeves are a plus. Bowhunting need
Here's an alternative that I settled on and it's not expensive. I get the lightest weight frogg toggs from Walmart and I put them on and then I have some of the paper thin cheapest camo and I put on over it. It does great with not making noise and doesn't cost hardly anything.

UCStandSitter

Here's an alternative that I settled on and it's not expensive. I get the lightest weight frogg toggs from Walmart and I put them on and then I have some of the paper thin cheapest camo and I put on over it. It does great with not making noise and doesn't cost hardly anything.
How are the sleeves? Work for bowhunting or bulky?

Latest posts