Hunt'n Gear

SwoleyGuacamole

Hey everyone,

As I get a step closer and closer to getting myself out hunting, I had a question about gear. Being that I have served and have some of my old OCP/ some BDU pattern stuff, does wearing that to a hunt make a difference than maybe someone who just walked out of a bass pro catalog? Do I really need to go buy hundreds of shmeckles worth of gear when an OCP/ BDU pattern uniform would break up a silhouette just the same in a woodland setting? Ive read a few places a ghillie suit, Walmart camo, certain colors, etc. works wonders, others say that it'll work for deer and elk but not for turkey.

Im still acquiring knowledge and the further I dive into it the more questions I tend to have.

SwoleyGuacamole

I've killed deer in khaki cargo shorts, flip flops and a blue shirt … hunt the wind and be still
So obviously with every other hobby, certain things are pushed to generate money. This one just trying to get new hunters to spend money on expensive things that aren't needed and have far less expensive alternatives.

Rabbitkil

So obviously with every other hobby, certain things are pushed to generate money. This one just trying to get new hunters to spend money on expensive things that aren't needed and have far less expensive alternatives.
That's how I view it, do I kill record book bucks? No but I see plenty of deer. Does all the gimmicks give an advantage? Possibly who knows

UCStandSitter

Comfort is the thing with me. I can kill deer in street clothes (gun, not as likely with a bow) but will I be as comfortable in the saddle/stand… Do you need the best and priciest? Nope. Walmart and issued gear will work fine to get started. The more you hunt the more you'll know what you want to change. No need to go buy a big kit day one. I'm in the process of upgrading my full kit but I'm also not just starting out. I've used a lil bit of everything over the years and again, it simply boils down to comfort.

WTNBowHunter

We are all guilty of buying stuff that looks cool to us but it's all about the wind and minimizing your movement if your drawing a bow or aiming your rifle. Was telling a buddy the other day that the dumbest hunting slogan I've ever heard was "forget the wind just hunt". Not sure what it says about me but I feel for it and bought a scent blocker bug lite suit 20+ years ago and just knew I was going to kill the biggest deer in the forest 😂

SwoleyGuacamole

We are all guilty of buying stuff that looks cool to us but it's all about the wind and minimizing your movement if your drawing a bow or aiming your rifle. Was telling a buddy the other day that the dumbest hunting slogan I've ever heard was "forget the wind just hunt". Not sure what it says about me but I feel for it and bought a scent blocker bug lite suit 20+ years ago and just knew I was going to kill the biggest deer in the forest 😂
that's another thing, how would I worry about my scent? Ive heard a few say don't take a shower for a day before hunting, others say you can just don't use anything with a smell to it.That water helps dilute your natural smell.

Willysman

Doesn't make any difference if you're wearing sitka or walmart camo. Hunted for years before they really started making camo. I still don't wear camo for deer hunting. Pair of green pants and red and black shirt. Be still, play the wind. All this stuff is to get your money so the camo makers can hunt all over the country on your money.

Hookem

Since dear are mostly color blind, just need a pattern to break up your profile. In the South green or brown, in the North with snow or no leaves lighter colors. When it is cold something really warm and when it is warm or hot something cool that reduces sweating and is comfortable. Obviously wear orange per state law when required. If deer can't spot you in that awful orange then they can't tell what pattern you are wearing.

WTNBowHunter

that's another thing, how would I worry about my scent? Ive heard a few say don't take a shower for a day before hunting, others say you can just don't use anything with a smell to it.That water helps dilute your natural smell.
I still take a scent free shower, wash my clothes in the scent free detergent, chose my stand based on wind direction and how I can approach the stand with minimizing disturbance but I just got away from the carbon lined clothing systems. No matter what you do you'll rarely beat the nose of a whitetail. If anyone can make a pill you take to make you smell invisible they'd be printing money

dogsled

2-Step Enabled
I store my hunting clothes with cedar blocks, there are cedars all over where I hunt. I also buy the scent blocker sprays at the end of the season when they go on sale and treat my stuff with it. But as others have said you have to play the wind. I have had deer some right up on me when the wind was in my face and have also had them blow 40 yards away when they are downwind.

Rancocas

You have received plenty of good advise here, but I will add my own two cents anyway.

I have seen a drug sniffing dog detect one kilo of cocaine that was wrapped in plastic and hidden at the bottom of a truck load of onions. Deer noses are just as good, if not better than a dog's.

Old Daniel Boone, Jim Bridger, Shadrack Browning, and other market hunters of the old days didn't use cover scents; heck, I bet they often went for months between a bath. If anything they smelled of wood smoke and lots of rank sweat. I'm not saying that cover scents and all that stuff don't help. Maybe they do. Maybe they don't. The main thing to remember is to always hunt into the wind.

As for camo; I've read that birds can see colors, therefor camo for turkey and waterfowl. But it is certainly not necessary for deer. My usual deer hunting clothing is blue jeans and a surplus army green field jacket. That depends on the weather, of course. With that, I've been a moderately successful deer hunter for over 60 years. The main thing is to keep still, or if you have to move then move very very slowly.

Of course blaze orange is required for big game whenever hunting with a firearm. What is the point of wearing camo when you have to light up the woods like a neon sign? Yeah, yeah, I know the blaze orange is supposed to just look like a shade of gray to a deer since they can't see colors as we can. 50 years ago we didn't have the blaze orange requirement. Most big game hunters of those days wore red jackets just for our own safety. Blaze orange is better. The deer don't care.

Probably most guys now days go up in a tree, but you don't have to. Ground blinds work fine if you keep the prevailing wind in mind. Piling up brush and logs doesn't cost you anything except sweat.

Don't fall for all the commercial hype! And don't pay any attention to fashion. Just get a good gun, a good knife, wear what clothes you already have and a blaze orange vest and hat, be mindful of the wind, and keep quiet. If your eyesight is good you don't need a scope. Forget those 400 yard shots. That's not hunting, that's sniping. Nor do you need a $200 knife. Most of those old market hunters just carried a common butcher knife. My uncle, who was a much better hunter than most men I know, only carried a non-descript, 3 inch blade sheath knife of unknown manufacture. But, it has good steel, holds an edge well, and is sharp as a razor. He field dressed, skinned, and butchered many a buck with that little knife.

Just my opinion. Have fun.

Latest posts