Cold weather gear

280longshot

TNReb":k4t29vj8 said:
280longshot":k4t29vj8 said:
I have a pair and have used them, but have found that putting them on once in your stand works better so don't wait until your feet start getting cold.
I good merino wool sock and 600-800 gram boot is generally what works best for me.
Using too much sock or a tight boot seems to make it worse, and once your feet start sweating, it's best to change socks.

I'll give it a whirl. I have good 100% merino socks and I've tried different sorts of boots...

When you use them, are you just slipping them on over your boot in our stand, or removing your boot and putting your feet in them?
I put them on over my boots.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DMD

TNReb":3lbgrj4a said:
280longshot":3lbgrj4a said:
I have a pair and have used them, but have found that putting them on once in your stand works better so don't wait until your feet start getting cold.
I good merino wool sock and 600-800 gram boot is generally what works best for me.
Using too much sock or a tight boot seems to make it worse, and once your feet start sweating, it's best to change socks.

I'll give it a whirl. I have good 100% merino socks and I've tried different sorts of boots...

When you use them, are you just slipping them on over your boot in our stand, or removing your boot and putting your feet in them?

I have used them both ways. The best way I have found to use them on really cold days is: Once I am on the stand, I take my boots off, slip the Arctic Covers over my socks and drop the BIG body warmer (like handwarmers, only bigger) down in the Arctic covers. It's kind of like having your feet next to the fireplace on a cold morning! :)

pullemfar

Polypro's work very well, not heavy, good moisture wicking properties and keeps you warm, dry fairly quickly. Can be had for pennies on the dollar at any surplus store or surplus website. I've been using it since I was introduced to it in the early 90's and will continue to use it. If it's not so cold out, I'll throw on a pair of our ECWCS silk weights (Ninja Suit) underneath multicam pants and hoodie/light jacket, and hump in some extra layers in my pack as mentioned above. Depending on the day, I'll pack Gortex (durable, cold and heavy wet days) or the frogg toggs polypro jacket and pants (real light weight, not so cold days, light rain days) in my pack. Yes the frogg toggs that look like paper, but hey they work. I use them for all my hunting and fishing, my wife uses them on her mail route, they just work. The silk weights are very good at wicking away moisture, dry quickly, don't shrink if washed in hot water, hold little to no odor, and can be had for a song at any surplus store or websites (Craigslist, Campbell yardsales, etc....)

If it didn't work, I would've bought whatever product was out there that does, but in all the places and conditions I've been in (Water, snow, sub 0 temps, sleet, freezing rain, mud, blah, blah, blah....) Korea being one of the worst for nasty unpredictable winter weather, the mil. issue stuff has worked great. I'm a sit all day in the stand kinda guy, Weather will not run me out of it, I'll continue to use it.

Latest posts