Cold Weather Clothing Survey

Jarred525

Hi All. Purchasing for my dad new cold weather clothing for his birthday. Definitely going to get it in Realtree AP HD. Any advice as to what I should get him? Interested in what has worked for you all. So many choices... If you can send me web links to cabelas or something like that, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

RYno

Get coveralls for the ole man.. Man they are warm and comfortable. If not them an insulated overall with a jacket.. he will apreciate it i promice

1shot1kill

roadracer

I never noticed it got cold enough down here to were "true" cold weather gear but then again I am a dam yankee. Best stuff to me is wool, quiet, low bur factor, available in camo now and easy to layer up for the big temp swings you get down here.

TennBuck

stay away from cotton. cotton stays wet.

*1st layer is the tight sports wear from walmart. 3X cheaper than under armour and works the same
*2nd Cabela's MTP Hunt Series Tech Silk Weight top&bottom
*3rd cabelas microtex top&bottom. if its cold i wear a gamehide top and bottom.

if he's not walking far and hes just gonna sit. try coveralls.

i got a gamehide jacket and bibs i wear when its really cold

the key is to wear non-cotton and layers.

it's easier to get cool as it warms up, than it is to get warm as it cools down. thats why layering is important.

JMHO

LCU

Jarred525 said:
Hi All. Purchasing for my dad new cold weather clothing for his birthday. Definitely going to get it in Realtree AP HD. Any advice as to what I should get him? Interested in what has worked for you all. So many choices... If you can send me web links to cabelas or something like that, it would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

You may want to consider Under Armour Cold top,bottom, socks, head,and glove liners.
The base layer is the most important to wick away misoture from the skin.

skynimrod

p033630hz11.jpg

I really like these pants I got last year for dry cold weather.
Warm , quiet, not an arm and a leg to purchase. Definitely go with the wind sheer upgrade.
For the money Wool/Fleece blend is hard to beat I believe as long as it is not pouring down raining.

archer19

got a full set of the legacy fleece with the windshear. Not a true cold weather setup but with a base layer of fleece under it they perform very, very well. the windshear is plain awesome. highly recommend the legacy series for moderate cold, down to around 30 degrees.

FULLDRAWXX75

Take it from a guy that has hunted in the cold most of his life................Layers.

The best part of the hunting season here in NY starts when the temps drop in the low 30's as high for the day. This past week the temps have not gotten above mid 20's as a high.

Over the yrs I have tried every combo you can think of, I have come up with a really good combo of layers that work for my for weather down into the 3o's before reaching for the coat or jacket.

I start out with a base layer of silk undershirt and boxers(or polypro boxers), next layer Cabela's mid weigh thermo underwear, next is a duo-fold shirt with the sleeves cut off and a pair of sweat pants and camo fatigues.

The add on and off layers from there are a polartec fleece pullover, a wind shear shirt and a blaze orange chamios guide shirt from Cabela's.

On my feet, polypro sock liners and a pair of knee high wool socks.

I know it sounds like alot of clothing, but it actually isn't, all thin layers.

I prefer seperate fleece and wind shear shirt because I can remove the fleece and still keep the wind shear if needed.

If the temps drop below the 20's I am good for 2-3 hrs with this combo, but after that................I am reaching for my parka & bibs if on stand all day. I normally do a 3 hr sit in the morning, then still hunt the remainder of the day, so the above combo is good.

FDXX75

Latest posts