Close encounter stories

348Winchester

At the property I hunt in Scott County the local reds had taken to dumping deer carcasses in an area where there was already a longstanding dumping ground for all types of rubbish. A pack of wild dogs was roaming the area and had taken up residence in the dump to feed on the deer parts. I always parked at the dump and walked into the property. It was before dawn when I pulled up and got out with a single shot 270. A chorus of deep, menacing growls greeted me. I was nervous but walked in anyway. Upon returning to the truck at mid day the dogs were gone. I went home, ate lunch, and returned for the evening's hunt armed with the ol' Winchester 94 30-30. As soon as I get out of the truck one of the dogs comes out from under a mattress with his hackles raised. He found his doom. At the crack of the carbine dogs burst out in every direction! Now here is what John Moses designed this gun to do! With each shot a mongrel met its maker. There were eight of the varmints and seven died outright. The last one foolishly stopped about 50 yards away screened by brush. At the shot it yelped and twisted its body oddly before lighting out howling. Eight shots, seven outright kills, one questionable hit, and an empty rifle with smoke curling like a wisp from an open chamber.

rem270

Walking in one morning bow hunting, jumped up some deer not far from my stand. As I got to my stand I saw 2 sets of eyes running at me. It was 2 fawns and they literally ran right beside me where I could have reached out and touched them. Apparently I busted up the mama and fawns and they separated and the fawns came running to whatever was making noise. Even with a light on my hat they still ran right to me.

One year I was tagged out on my buck and decided to get down and walk to the back of my property. I smelt a cigarette and sure enough found where someone had walked down a lane behind me. I assume they seen me and turned and left. As I got to the back of my property I seen the guy on the other property about 250 yards. Just standing there on the creek which is the property line I had a doe come on the other side of the creek about 20 yards with her tongue hanging out. Right behind her was a buck in full rut chasing her. He stops and it literally sweating off of his coat with tongue hanging out. He looks at me and tries to take off running but he was so out of breath it was like he was running in slow motion. That was pretty neat.

Kirk

I was in my late teens. I was on some property I had not hunted very much. I was walking up an old logging road carrying my Bear Compound bow and had an arrow knocked, just in case. I had walked up the road for probably 1/4 mile when a covey of Quail exploded beside me. I never did find that arrow.

backyardtndeer

One of the closest I had was turkey hunting probably 20 years ago. I was sitting beside a cedar on a tree line. Had a herd of deer come through into the woods entering on both sides of me. Closest got probably within 5 feet of me. They had no clue I was there.

Closest standing was one morning during the rifle season after I got down from a stand. Checked a camera on my walk back. I was standing at the camera facing the tree. I heard something at the mineral site behind me. I slowly turned and a doe and young buck had walked in right behind me and were within less than 10 feet of me. That was probably 15 years ago

I have had a squirrel come up the side of the tree I was in and touch the top of my shoulder as it peaked around to see what the lump on the tree was.

RockMcL

The September Fawn and the "expert" hunter:
A wonderful friend and neighbor passed quite a few years back. We shared a long section of private road (private means the county refuses to maintain it...). My wife and I were driving by his place the first of September and stopped, still feeling the loss, looking over his always well groomed front yard which now was almost waist high grass.

As we sat talking about our friend, a doe stood up directly in front of his deck in a small circle of beat down grass. She was unaware of us but concerned us because she looked injured. We watched her birth a fawn. We sat mesmerized and honestly it was almost a spiritual, healing moment.

The doe became aware of us and agitated so we slowly drove away. This is the latest I have ever seen a new fawn and the only deer I have seen birthed.

The next week I was brush hogging what I'll call the top of my extended yard and got a funny feeling and stopped. Not sure what caught my attention but stopped the tractor got down and found the fawn, a male, laying right in my path. He was not about to move but appeared healthy. I backed out and cut a circle around him. Quess I earned some creds with the doe because she basically left her fawn in our care almost daily after that. Not treated like a pet but the guy was so small and winter was coming so we set out some corn and apple slices for him occasionally.

Fast forward to late December and I the "expert" hunter carefully and quietly made my way into the top of a steep ravine. I was quite sure I had successfully gotten in undetected. It had been a brutal winter and I remember having on ALL my layers, sitting with my back against a persimmon tree, with a cammo blanket over me feet to chest, and still shivering. Waiting for that big buck to come sneaking through the ravine, a trail the big guys used often.

I soon heard chasing that seemed to go around me in a circle always just out of sight. After a couple circles the September Fawn peaks over the ravine edge directly down wind of me and then rushes directly to me and literally drops at my feet. He is panting like crazy and pretty ragged looking. His winter coat did not seem to have had time to grow in fully and the little runt just looked terrible.

About that time a spike came rushing over the ridge and ran right down to us. The September Fawn all but crawled into my lap as the spike came in, now apparently chasing and bullying the only male small enough for him to bully. I thought I was going to have to shoot that crazy spike but it finally pulled up less than ten feet away realizing I was there. He literally stomped and bluffed, even with me there, causing the September Fawn to tremble even more.

The spike suddenly realized that his rage was about to get him killed and must have fell down three times before he got over the edge of the ravine, running flat out till I could no longer hear him. Not sure what County he stopped in.

The September Fawn moved a little further away from me but lay below my feet while both of us worked on getting control of our breathing. When "I" had recovered enough I got up, gathered my gear, slung my rifle and walked down to the house, now fully aware that every deer in the woods probably knew where I had been and was since I entered the woods. The September Fawn followed me for maybe 50 yards, probably making sure the spike wasn't still waiting for him, then he just turned and went on his way.

tellico4x4

Bow hunting elk in San Juans in early 90's I had a bull almost step on me. It had turned warm & most activity was at night. I knew where a big wallow was so thought I'd go spend the morning there. About 20 yards down hill from wallow a big spruce had blown over with root ball attached. The root ball was about 3' from a standing tree & that made a excellent spot to nestle into, especially with thermals moving downhill for 2-3 hours each morning. Nocked an arrow & leaned bow up against the roots.

Decided that I would bugle every thirty minutes to see what happens. First bugle at daylight & nothing. Second bugle and one answers way down in canyon too far to mess with. Third bugle & I immediately hear a limb break behind me. Then I can hear steps getting closer. Picked up my bow & now I can hear breathing slightly quartering behind my left shoulder & tree I'm sitting against. I've got my eyes rolled as hard to left as they'll go & I can bearly pick up an image above me. Bull was standing behind tree that I was against with his neck above my head & his head actually just past me.

I'm flat on my butt with bow in left hand, release hooked up to string & this bull is hovering over me. I expected to feel his slobber on my head at any second! He stands there for what seems like an eternity which was actually less than a minute. He finally takes 4-5 steps towards wallow and now is quartering hard away from me just looking for the bull that he'd heard bugle (me).

After 2-3 minutes of him just standing there another bull bugles up the mountain from us. He turns his head towards the sound which allows me to pull bow back. He's less than 10' away & because of such a steep quartering away angle I shoot him behind the right back rib, in which the arrow goes thru the entire chest cavity & out in front of left shoulder!

Bull tears out and runs into the wallow, spins around and runs back into the blown down tree I'm sitting against. He dies literally 30' from me! We'd carried a gigantic VHS recorder around for a week trying to get one on film & left it in camp that morning 🤣

Note: bull came in totally silent

tellico4x4

A wonderful friend and neighbor passed quite a few years back. We shared a long section of private road (private means the county refuses to maintain it...). My wife and I were driving by his place the first of September and stopped, still feeling the loss, looking over his always well groomed front yard which now was almost waist high grass.

As we sat talking about our friend, a doe stood up directly in front of his deck in a small circle of beat down grass. She was unaware of us but concerned us because she looked injured. We watched her birth a fawn. We sat mesmerized and honestly it was almost a spiritual, healing moment.

The doe became aware of us and agitated so we slowly drove away. This is the latest I have ever seen a new fawn and the only deer I have seen birthed.

The next week I was brush hogging what I'll call the top of my extended yard and got a funny feeling and stopped. Not sure what caught my attention but stopped the tractor got down and found the fawn, a male, laying right in my path. He was not about to move but appeared healthy. I backed out and cut a circle around him. Quess I earned some creds with the doe because she basically left her fawn in our care almost daily after that. Not treated like a pet but the guy was so small and winter was coming so we set out some corn and apple slices for him occasionally.

Fast forward to late December and I the "expert" hunter carefully and quietly made my way into the top of a steep ravine. I was quite sure I had successfully gotten in undetected. It had been a brutal winter and I remember having on ALL my layers, sitting with my back against a persimmon tree, with a cammo blanket over me feet to chest, and still shivering. Waiting for that big buck to come sneaking through the ravine, a trail the big guys used often.

I soon heard chasing that seemed to go around me in a circle always just out of sight. After a couple circles the September Fawn peaks over the ravine edge directly down wind of me and then rushes directly to me and literally drops at my feet. He is panting like crazy and pretty ragged looking. His winter coat did not seem to have had time to grow in fully and the little runt just looked terrible.

About that time a spike came rushing over the ridge and ran right down to us. The September Fawn all but crawled into my lap as the spike came in, now apparently chasing and bullying the only male small enough for him to bully. I thought I was going to have to shoot that crazy spike but it finally pulled up less than ten feet away realizing I was there. He literally stomped and bluffed, even with me there, causing the September Fawn to tremble even more.

The spike suddenly realized that his rage was about to get him killed and must have fell down three times before he got over the edge of the ravine, running flat out till I could no longer hear him. Not sure what County he stopped in.

The September Fawn moved a little further away from me but lay below my feet while both of us worked on getting control of our breathing. When "I" had recovered enough I got up, gathered my gear, slung my rifle and walked down to the house, now fully aware that every deer in the woods probably knew where I had been and was since I entered the woods. The September Fawn followed me for maybe 50 yards, probably making sure the spike wasn't still waiting for him, then he just turned and went on his way.
There's an awesome book titled "The September Fawn" that takes place in Florida swamps. Highly recommend!

dr

At the property I hunt in Scott County the local reds had taken to dumping deer carcasses in an area where there was already a longstanding dumping ground for all types of rubbish. A pack of wild dogs was roaming the area and had taken up residence in the dump to feed on the deer parts. I always parked at the dump and walked into the property. It was before dawn when I pulled up and got out with a single shot 270. A chorus of deep, menacing growls greeted me. I was nervous but walked in anyway. Upon returning to the truck at mid day the dogs were gone. I went home, ate lunch, and returned for the evening's hunt armed with the ol' Winchester 94 30-30. As soon as I get out of the truck one of the dogs comes out from under a mattress with his hackles raised. He found his doom. At the crack of the carbine dogs burst out in every direction! Now here is what John Moses designed this gun to do! With each shot a mongrel met its maker. There were eight of the varmints and seven died outright. The last one foolishly stopped about 50 yards away screened by brush. At the shot it yelped and twisted its body oddly before lighting out howling. Eight shots, seven outright kills, one questionable hit, and an empty rifle with smoke curling like a wisp from an open chamber.
I was walking to my stand on a bowhunt one morning. I heard something running up the logging road toward me. I thought it might be a deer, so I knocked an arrow. A pack of dogs topped the hill about 50 yards away. They slid to a stop, and the big black dog in the lead started growling and showing his teeth. I pulled my 9mm ,and pointed it at them. Fortunately they changed their mind, turned and ran.

Antler Daddy

Once a person decides to pass on younger bucks, I was amazed at all the new behavior that I got to watch...bucks making scrapes, gruniting, rubbing trees, etc.

At Milan Arsenal about 6 years ago, I had several bucks chaising and running all thorugh the woods around me for two hours while chasing a doe. On antoher day, I watched a smallish 7 go all around me sniffing and grunting in small gullies for 30 minites. That buck got less than 10 feet from me at one time. He had to smell me, but he just kept on grunting and searching.

LenS

Back in 2007, opening morning of rifle season, I shot a 3.5 year old 9-point. He was chasing a doe hot and heavy and I watched them circle my stand 3 times before I could get a shot. I pulled the trigger and he ran about 100 yards up the hill and died. As I walked up to him I noticed the hot doe standing right next to him. I got close and she refused to leave. Literally walked right up to the dead buck and the living doe before she slowly walked away. She kept looking back like she was wanting him to follow her. I guess the rut can make does act stupid too.

LenS

It's not a deer story, but I had a gobbler pick a fight with my truck a few years ago. I had shot a gobbler around 7:30 and was walking back to my truck, a white Ford-F150. As I get closer I hear gobbling. Then I notice a sound that sounded like acorns hitting a tin roof. I slip in and notice a gobbler flared up and pecking at the rear quarter panel of my truck. Only thing I can figure is he saw his reflection. He was so focused that I was standing at the front of my truck watching him and he didn't notice me for a few seconds.

fairchaser

That's a very cool story. It shows us all how really close we are to each other on some level. Thanks for sharing.

BSK

That is a SUPER COOL story! Thanks for posting.

I've heard other interspecies "friendships" like this between humans and wild animals. Very much intrigues me.

BSK

Not near as exciting as some of these but I was almost attacked by a hog a few years ago. He contracted a sudden and severe case of lead poisoning and fell at my feet. Was squeeling and thrashing like he had been shot or something....
Too funny. Back when I first acquired my hunting property it was over-run by feral dogs. But for some unknown reason, they all vanished due to a lead-poisoning induced mass extinction event. Very strange. ;)