Climbing stands

Dkizer18

I know some guys who use climbing stands more as a lock on stand with good success. I have a couple tree lounge stands sitting around that I hate to carry into the woods but love hunting out of. I was thinking about converting these to more of a lock on stand and put some climbing sticks to get in them. I am gonna put these in a pine thicket where it is very hard to climb the old fashioned way. Have any of you every used a tree lounge for this type of purpose and left them hanging for a few months? Any advice or things to watch for would be appreciated.

Kevin

just be super careful. Make sure it is SECURE to the tree. You don't want to be trying to climb over into it and that thing come loose.

deerhunter10

it can be done and not a bad way to hunt out of them. but as kevin said be careful I would definitely suggest a life line. I know we used to have one set up before we put a ladder stand up and when you stepped into it would slip a little til it bit back in the tree again.

Nhill

Yes, I don't know about the tree lounge, but I know that other climbers are liable to tilt and fall if there is a lot of pressure on one side without the pressure of a butt in the seat.

gator-n-buck

Locks-on are the # 1 dangerous stands used by hunters. More treestand accidents happen on lock-ons then climbers. This is due to yearly inspections or the first step on and off the platform.

I would not attempt this and I have owned a tree lounge.

Poleaxe

I have 4 climbers I leave at the bottom of the tree and lock around the tree between sits. I just walk to the tree and climb. It would be just as quick to hook ur bow and pack on the rope and climb up than climbing the ladder and much safer too. Its so dang hard securing the sticks to the tree. I also drape camo blind material over the stand at the base of the tree to hide it, and use it as a blind when I get to the top.

BHC

I do this and it works awesome, the reason I started was because even the quietest climb can be really noisy! And I hate breaking a sweat before I get in my stand after trying so hard to be scent free! Like others said just be careful stepping on and off, I've never had a problem... Put a screw in peg about three foot above the stand to grab by hand so all your wait is on the climbing sticks and the peg above and slowly transfer it over to make sure the stand has a bite on the tree... I've never had a issue but be careful as w anything...

Latest posts