cleaning between shots-bullet recommendation

cecil30-30

This past weekend i was trying to find out which bullet shoots the best out of my cva kodiak,but i am not sure as to if i should clean my barrel between shots.If i should clean it between shots,should i clean my breech plug too?I am trying the 270 gr powerbelts and the 300 gr hornady sst sabot.So far the powerbelts are doing the best,but i am hearing mixed reviews about them.Any other bullet i should try before this weekend.This is my first year muzzleloader hunting and im kinda paranoid on to which bullet to use.

DuckBuster

In my omega. i run a TC t17 pre-saturated cleaning patch down followed by a dry patch then i take one dry patch and lightly use bore butter run it down and load it.. fire away... worked best for me..

Goat-roper

"Cecil" It doesn't take a lot of work, wet a patch with water, or what a lot of us do, spit of it, roll it around your mouth, when it gets moist, swab it down the barrel. You are not trying to lubricate the barrel, or trying to get it mirror clean, you are just trying to get some of the left over residue out of the barrel. After you swab, there is no need to run a dry patch, or lub or anything else....go ahead and reload and shoot.

jakeway

If you greesed your breech plug properly when you installed it, you shouldn't have to take it out and clean it more than once or twice a year, depending on how much you shoot. I clean mine if I shoot 20 or more shots in a session.

I use the cleaner-burning Muzzleloader-designed primers, which leave less crud on the face of the plug.

TennBuck

i spent $100 one week on powder, caps and bullets. i have a cva optima pro. i cleaned after every shot and got terrible groups. when i decided to try it without cleaning, my first shot was always 3" high, the next 3 had a .75" pattern at 50 yards. to make a long story short, in doing this i got away from them DA**ED ole powerbelts. i fell in love with hornady xp 240 grains. i could cover a 3 shot pattern with my thumb at 100. i couldn't believe it. it's like shooting my rifle.

Latest posts