Cheatham WMA newbie

Slockmaster1

I was over there scouting ahhh prob a month ago. I vaguely remember seeing something right before the twra station on the right that said camping. I wanna say it was a small sign in a field. Idk if that means during season or what it means. But to me it just looked like a pop a tent place.

TboneD

We we're under the same impression but last year we saw campers just past the archery range so Camping appears to be allowed
I was over there scouting ahhh prob a month ago. I vaguely remember seeing something right before the twra station on the right that said camping. I wanna say it was a small sign in a field. Idk if that means during season or what it means. But to me it just looked like a pop a tent place.
If y'all are gonna camp I'd be sure to camp close to any "Camping Area" sign you see, even if you see any campers parked close to the manager's residence and equipment. I made the mistake a few years ago of pitching my tent at the suggestion of an old timer back there and Tummins really chewed us out that evening when he caught us back at camp.

I politely pointed out that there were no "camping area" signs anywhere to be found but that didn't matter to him. He told me the guys camping by me had permission because they were keeping an eye on his equipment. To be fair, for whatever reason he did seem to have a change of heart. I was surprised but he changed his mind and told us we could camp there that night but would have to move our camp in the mornin.

Last edited:

tanasirivertea

I noticed that studying the topo map. I plan on going out there in a week or two to see how it is and scout. The manager out there seemed like a real smart a** when I called asking a few questions about the place.
I've met him before. He gets a lot of inquiries because its kinda close to Nashville and gets a lot of pressure. One of the best bucks I've ever seen was bedded down with a doe on Oct 30th during a quota hunt. Just avoid all the obvious stuff like food plots and corn, etc. Find those oaks/staging areas

FTP

I've met him before. He gets a lot of inquiries because its kinda close to Nashville and gets a lot of pressure. One of the best bucks I've ever seen was bedded down with a doe on Oct 30th during a quota hunt. Just avoid all the obvious stuff like food plots and corn, etc. Find those oaks/staging areas
Are you saying this WMA get a lot of pressure?

tanasirivertea

No I'm asking a question.
Oh yeah I stated that it gets a lot of pressure. I've summer scouted there a couple times before I hunted in 2016 for first time there. Saw zero people. The spots I had picked out were gobbled up and I got there at 430am. I was unaware of the campers. There were lots of hunters that first day. Saw a guy rolling out at lunchtime with a nice buck on his atv. The next two days rained and I saw zero people! Thats also when I saw one of the biggest bucks ever on public. Laying under an evergreen tree with a doe.

FTP

Oh yeah I stated that it gets a lot of pressure. I've summer scouted there a couple times before I hunted in 2016 for first time there. Saw zero people. The spots I had picked out were gobbled up and I got there at 430am. I was unaware of the campers. There were lots of hunters that first day. Saw a guy rolling out at lunchtime with a nice buck on his atv. The next two days rained and I saw zero people! Thats also when I saw one of the biggest bucks ever on public. Laying under an evergreen tree with a doe.
Yeah I was trying to figure out the same about your pressure comment, whether you were being sarcastic. The WMA for sure does not get a lot of pressure, especially as close as it is to Nashville.

philsanchez76

Yeah I was trying to figure out the same about your pressure comment, whether you were being sarcastic. The WMA for sure does not get a lot of pressure, especially as close as it is to Nashville.
Cheatham gets short concentrated bursts of pressure due to the way the quotas are set up. Archery season is pretty low pressure. But once those mZ and gun hunts start, there are 8 trucks at every pull off and camping site is loaded full. But by Sunday afternoon, it's a ghost town again.

ftdh

Do I understand it correctly at Cheatham, the first two hunts (Nov 11-18 and Nov 19-26) are by permit only and you have to have drawn a permit. Starting on Nov 27 thru Jan1 - anyone can hunt that has a proper hunting license/big game tag? Just trying to clarify. Thanks!

zb1994

Do I understand it correctly at Cheatham, the first two hunts (Nov 11-18 and Nov 19-26) are by permit only and you have to have drawn a permit. Starting on Nov 27 thru Jan1 - anyone can hunt that has a proper hunting license/big game tag? Just trying to clarify. Thanks!
Yes that's correct. If you wanted to do one of the permit hunts the application period was in July.

Latest posts