Cheatham WMA newbie

NolyRiverrat

I was drawn for the 11/5-11/7 muzzleloader hunt. I've never been to Cheatham or hunted much public land really. What do I need to know before I go and what should I take with me? I have read that there was an EHD outbreak there some years back, has the herd recovered? Any and all information welcome and appreciated.

NolyRiverrat

I noticed that studying the topo map. I plan on going out there in a week or two to see how it is and scout. The manager out there seemed like a real smart a** when I called asking a few questions about the place.

TN Song Dog

Wear some quality comfortable hiking boots.

Scout on Google Maps for remote hardwood areas draws, ridges, saddles, etc. Skip the field areas near the roads, as thats where all the new folks all pile in on top of each other. Also skip the areas that look like good trails with parking areas. Good luck.

tahtah

This time of year, keep an eye open for copperheads and rattle snakes. Just be careful where you step or put your hands. Definitely spray your clothes good with permethrin. As mentioned, there are some steep hollers, so be prepared.

You mentioned calling the area manager with questions, but it didn't sound like you got the answers you were looking for. Are there specific questions, those familiar with Cheatham, might answer for you?

NolyRiverrat

Thank you. I had noticed from onX that there were a lot of roads in there and was wondering if I needed a four wheel drive or not, is there more than one entrance, and can you camp there or do I need to get a hotel?

NolyRiverrat

This time of year, keep an eye open for copperheads and rattle snakes. Just be careful where you step or put your hands. Definitely spray your clothes good with permethrin. As mentioned, there are some steep hollers, so be prepared.

You mentioned calling the area manager with questions, but it didn't sound like you got the answers you were looking for. Are there specific questions, those familiar with Cheatham, might answer for you?
If I do happen to shoot a buck and he runs to the bottom like they tend to do can I skin and quarter it to pack it out?

NolyRiverrat

T

Scout on Google Maps for remote hardwood areas draws, ridges, saddles, etc. Skip the field areas near the roads, as thats where all the new folks all pile in on top of each other. Also skip the areas that look like good trails with parking areas. Good lucT

Scout on Google Maps for remote hardwood areas draws, ridges, saddles, etc. Skip the field areas near the roads, as thats where all the new folks all pile in on top of each other. Also skip the areas that look like good trails with parking areas. Good luck.
Thank you. Is it mostly open hard woods at Cheatham?

tahtah

4 wheel drive isn't necessary for the roads through Cheatham. They are gravel and in decent shape.

Per quartering and packing out a deer, I assume that's the same as it would be anywhere else in the state. The only question would be whether or not you had to also pack out the hide and bones, etc. You're not allowed to dump a carcass on a WMA. That might be a specific question for someone at TWRA.

In the past, they have allowed you to use a 4 wheeler to retrieve a down deer. You just need to call and let them know that you're doing that and where on the WMA. Again, most of the ravines are very steep and there are a lot of places you can't get to with a 4 wheeler. A good long rope comes in handy. I started using a Jet Sled a few years ago and it really helps.

tahtah

Cheatham has open hardwoods, impenetrable scrub brush, overgrown new growth where it's been timbered, a handful of small fields where they rotate corn (which they leave standing), clover, etc. They've cut most of the pines in the past year and there are several freshly cleared areas where those have been timbered.

Per camping, I live in Nashville and have never camped there. But I know they allow camping close by the ranger's home. There are no facilities. It's basically a couple of small fields. People will be there in campers and tents. I'm not sure if you have to register or anything.

NolyRiverrat

Cheatham has open hardwoods, impenetrable scrub brush, overgrown new growth where it's been timbered, a handful of small fields where they rotate corn (which they leave standing), clover, etc. They've cut most of the pines in the past year and there are several freshly cleared areas where those have been timbered.

Per camping, I live in Nashville and have never camped there. But I know they allow camping close by the ranger's home. There are no facilities. It's basically a couple of small fields. People will be there in campers and tents. I'm not sure if you have to register or anything.
Thank you that's what I wanted to know.

philsanchez76

Yup camping is free and first come first serve in the few fields right before you get to the rangers residence. No electric or water. And try to find some access that is NOT along the one main road that goes through the WMA if you can. There are usually 3 trucks at every single pullout along the whole road. And deer don't even come anywhere near those green fields in daylight.

FTP

FTP

The place is managed by... well let's just say...
The WMA has gone downhill tremendously since the former guy retired. The new guy sure does not give the TWRA the image they would like.

Latest posts