Cheatham WMA newbie

TNWhit3tail

The place is managed by... well let's just say...
The WMA has gone downhill tremendously since the former guy retired. The new guy sure does not give the TWRA the image they would like.
Yea Randy Cromer was awesome. I haven't personally spoken to the new guy before but I haven't heard good things.

Antler Daddy

Do you remember who posted that? I helped a guy pull a nice deer out during muzzleloader last year wondering if its the same deer.

Clmens

Thanks! It is indeed the same deer. Absolute stud

notgreg

I'd second the recommendations for using permethrin and taking some care to avoid snakes if you plan to scout it any time soon. I made the mistake of scouting it last summer without permethrin-treated clothes (just Deet) and left with a small army of seed ticks and chiggers. As for snakes, I saw two copperheads in one of the ridge-bottom creeks last week. Just part of being in the woods here, but worth keeping in the front of your mind.

Fatboy99

I second many the thoughts above… emphasis on no 4 wheelers allowed off of roads, no quartering allowed, maybe with permission but I can't verify that. It's is some brutal rugged land, took 3 guys on the edge of heart attacks 2.5hrs to get this guy below out of a hollow so I wouldn't shoot just any deer, it better be worth all the work it may take. There are some good stands of white oaks, so scout. At 20,000 plus acres you can spend many years learning this place. Good luck!
56329E4A-1E99-4107-AD7D-870B47C895CA.jpeg

NolyRiverrat

Yup camping is free and first come first serve in the few fields right before you get to the rangers residence. No electric or water. And try to find some access that is NOT along the one main road that goes through the WMA if you can. There are usually 3 trucks at every single pullout along the whole road. And deer don't even come anywhere near those green fields in daylight.
Do you know if the secondary roads will be open?

NolyRiverrat

I'd second the recommendations for using permethrin and taking some care to avoid snakes if you plan to scout it any time soon. I made the mistake of scouting it last summer without permethrin-treated clothes (just Deet) and left with a small army of seed ticks and chiggers. As for snakes, I saw two copperheads in one of the ridge-bottom creeks last week. Just part of being in the woods here, but worth keeping in the front of your mind.
I will definitely be doing that and thanks for the heads up.

It's 20 mins from my house and never really go there anymore. It's good that it's now quota only but it's very tough hunting. Never not been walked in on our there it's pretty crazy, even had some guy park directly behind my truck at a gate lol! I def wouldn't be driving from any long distance to hunt it that's for sure!! The new guy is Eric he has been there for a few yrs now, seems like a decent guy and always replies to my messages.

FTP

It's 20 mins from my house and never really go there anymore. It's good that it's now quota only but it's very tough hunting. Never not been walked in on our there it's pretty crazy, even had some guy park directly behind my truck at a gate lol! I def wouldn't be driving from any long distance to hunt it that's for sure!! The new guy is Eric he has been there for a few yrs now, seems like a decent guy and always replies to my messages.
No! It is terrible that there are quotas!!! There was no need for them in the first place. If you know the place well and it's history, especially since the blue tongue outbreak of 2007, it is FAR from being over hunted or pressured, and for those of us who only have the WMA to hunt... well it sucks big Joe Biden peckers. My season has been seriously restricted to when I can go... so for anyone who is in favor of quotas... the middle finger to ya!!!!!!

banditboy96

He is definitely not a people person is all I can say.
Me and 2 buddy's was drawn for the same hunt and I had some questions about scouting. So I called and left a voicemail and no return call a week later, so I called the Nashville office and asked them who to contact and they told me the same number I had already called. I gave him another call and he acted like i was a bother and a waste of time most definitely not a people person at all.

No! It is terrible that there are quotas!!! There was no need for them in the first place. If you know the place well and it's history, especially since the blue tongue outbreak of 2007, it is FAR from being over hunted or pressured, and for those of us who only have the WMA to hunt... well it sucks big Joe Biden peckers. My season has been seriously restricted to when I can go... so for anyone who is in favor of quotas... the middle finger to ya!!!!!!
There is loads of public land in middle Tennessee, just go somewhere else LOL! Or apply for a hunt LOL!
Oh and I'm absolutely in favor of Cheatham going quota only!! It was a joke before they changed it last year. I reported 2 corn piles on that property 2 yrs ago. I was always getting walked in on by assholes that didn't give a yugo. Had a guy climb a tree 50 yards from me and then cuss me out cause I was in "his" spot. Hopefully the draw hunts weed out the trash!

Latest posts