Catoosa WMA Info

Num1bamafan12

Hey guys,

I won the lottery for a buck in Catoosa WMA this year but have never been. I've read some older posts about going into the dense areas vs the fields for finding deer but didn't know if that was still a good strategy. There are clearly buck out there or they wouldn't have this lottery every year right?

Also, any good tips on what to expect or need. I was planning on camping at one of the sites on the WMA. Any advice would be appreciated fellas.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
Good luck, they are there, but you have to get away from everyone and sit all day. Find a place that you feel comfortable with and prepare to sit. Also kill every hog you see.

Num1bamafan12

Good luck, they are there, but you have to get away from everyone and sit all day. Find a place that you feel comfortable with and prepare to sit. Also kill every hog you see.
Lol that was fun surprise to see on their website. If I don't leave with a buck, at least I'll be able to shoot at something.

Madbowh

I definitely find deeper walks in are better but I don't sit all day and so good. I sit till about 11 then back at 2, never even seen one in a field and sat in a lot of them. HUNT EDGES

Madbowh

Oh and do not shoot if it is not clearly 4 on
1 side tines1"long they kept a deer on me for a7/8" tine few years ago and got a warning they said if point is 1/2" or under they take gun and you get ticket read the reg book good don't mess with the game wardens in here. Tag before you drag

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I always hunt the genesis side. Seems like they manage it much better than the bicolor side. Many more food plots. If you like hunting clear cuts then I'd recommend Bicolor. Seems like that entire side has been stripped of timber over the last 15-20 years.

Num1bamafan12

I always hunt the genesis side. Seems like they manage it much better than the bicolor side. Many more food plots. If you like hunting clear cuts then I'd recommend Bicolor. Seems like that entire side has been stripped of timber over the last 15-20 years.
I feel like I know the answer to this but I was planning on using a tree climber. You think there are any trees worth a damn on the bicolor side? I'll have to really do some deep checking but I'm pretty sure I read that I'm only allowed to hunt bicolor.

Volbuck777

Hey guys,

I won the lottery for a buck in Catoosa WMA this year but have never been. I've read some older posts about going into the dense areas vs the fields for finding deer but didn't know if that was still a good strategy. There are clearly buck out there or they wouldn't have this lottery every year right?

Also, any good tips on what to expect or need. I was planning on camping at one of the sites on the WMA. Any advice would be appreciated fellas.
Good luck to you, but you should know it's hard hunting. Thought I'd tell you so you don't get your hopes up. It's a 1000 man quota and it's rare on each draw if 50 deer get shot. I hunted their this weekend and I killed 1 of only 9 deer shot for 2 days worth of hunting. There is some big bucks get killed but they are few and far between. It may not hurt to go down a couple days before your hunt and scout. By the way welcome to the site.

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
We are not trying to get you down or discouraged you. We just letting you know it won't be easy to hunt. Also if raining or very Windy, find an old road and walk and stalk. Do what you can to help your odds. Good luck and try looking at the area on Google maps. Gives you an idea

Ladys man

I will be there at the end of this month for the early muzzy hunt on bicolor again. Last year was my first time being there and was unsuccessful. I will second everything that's been said above. Most of the trucks dnt go far from camp and also get in early, let them push them to you.

Jmed

The place is huge. Like 30 miles across. Take the time to get out and look around. The place has whatever type of habitat you want..enjoy

Num1bamafan12

We are not trying to get you down or discouraged you. We just letting you know it won't be easy to hunt. Also if raining or very Windy, find an old road and walk and stalk. Do what you can to help your odds. Good luck and try looking at the area on Google maps. Gives you an idea
Oh you're not discouraging me. I enjoy a challenge. I'm just trying to gather as much information as I can before I get out there.

deerfever

I got some buddies up there now on the bow hunt. These guys go every year for the whole week and are stone cold killers when it comes to deer on that hunt. They have 0 and sightings are few and far between. Acorns are everywhere they said and it's hard to find and pattern the deer. The place is big and doesn't have a huge density of deer to begin with. They do kill a few good ones up there but they put so many people on the hunts that is bound to happen. Good luck on your hunt!

Willysman

Hunt there every year and agree with all the post. It is tough and only around 200 deer a year are killed for all the hunts. Population is not what it once was as you can tell a few years ago they reduced the quota from 1200 per side to 1000 per side. There are some big bucks there. My brother killed one a few years ago that went into B&C record book. 178 6/8ths. It is still a fun place to hunt so good luck and enjoy it.