Catman and other wind pros, a question

Stumpsitter

I've hunted the south Cumberland plateau all my life. It's hard hunting. The wind is difficult to "dope". I learned a long time ago you have to give something up hunting the mountains. The wind is never perfect, the thermals will frustrate you beyond belief. I've hunted a big gap that has 2 hollows that come together where the gap goes off the mountain. High ridge on the north side (and the best wind to hunt) . I come in the south side with the wind in my face. No joke , I have had the wind hitting me in the face and felt it hitting my legs going the opposite way at the same time & that's at 25'+ up a tree. I've watched milk weed do some crazy stuff in there. I've decided to totally back away from the gap this year and try to catch them coming to the south side and sacrifice the being able to see the other side.
I generally get as high as I can in the tree, be very anal about the scent on your clothes/scent control. I'm actually trying a ozonics unit this year hopefully this might be the answer to the nasty thermals. If I hunt the side of the mountain I always hunt the high side of the trail/ sign in the morning , low side in the evening. Next time your in in the stand watch the leaves on the trees below you when the sun starts to come up (quiver) . You can actually see the leaves shake as the woods start to warm up. The same thing will happen in the evening except you'll notice they were go down. Hope this helps. Good luck.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I envy you guys that have been able to get any kind of handle on air movements in hill and holler country. I gave up and just do my best keeping in mind the morning and evening currents. I just don't hunt enough to figure it out past that.

Latest posts