Camo for my Tikka stock

Cannonball1

I didn't care for the black synthetic look on my Tikka stock so I added a little color to it. I think it turned out good for my first time doing this style of finish.
IMG_4544.jpeg

IMG_4546.jpeg

Cannonball1

What did it do to your group size?

Just kidding 🤣 Looks very professional. 👍
You should tell the story about the process.

It didn't change the groups any but the camo definitely has it's perks…I was at the range today and there were a couple cute young blonds on the bench next to mine. They were shooting an AR-15 and a Ruger 10/22. They kept looking over at me smiling and I was wondering what was going on. The next thing I know they are both standing right next to my bench so I asked if I could help them with something. The one girl told me that her and her friend had been admiring my weapon and really liked what they saw. The other girl then asked if I would mind if they both gave it a go for a few minutes. I told them absolutely and then was extremely disappointed when they grabbed my Tikka and ammo off the bench and started sending rounds down range. I'll admit that's not what I thought they wanted but at my age it might have put me in cardiac arrest so it worked out for the best. I hope my story helps anyone who is thinking of painting their firearm. Now if you will please excuse me, I need to call my broker and pick up a few shares of Sherwin-Williams.

Cannonball1

How much would you charge to do mine?
I wish you were closer and I would just show you how I did it. It's honestly not that hard and I'll be glad to walk you through the process if you want to try it. PM me if you want to talk over the phone and I'll give you my cell number. The only way I would feel comfortable charging anyone for this would be after I see how mine holds up after deer season. I expect it to do fine but I want to know for sure that my method will hold up to normal wear and tear.

peytoncreekhunter

I wish you were closer and I would just show you how I did it. It's honestly not that hard and I'll be glad to walk you through the process if you want to try it. PM me if you want to talk over the phone and I'll give you my cell number. The only way I would feel comfortable charging anyone for this would be after I see how mine holds up after deer season. I expect it to do fine but I want to know for sure that my method will hold up to normal wear and tear.

Did you use a sponge to get that pattern?

Lt.Dan

I definitely like what you did. I'm sure I could handle it. I'm guessing that you used stencils? What type of paint?

Cannonball1

I definitely like what you did. I'm sure I could handle it. I'm guessing that you used stencils? What type of paint?
I used craft sponges from Walmart. They were in the hobby section. I also used Rust-Oleum camo paint in black, army green and sand. I washed the stock down with dawn and hot water, then lightly scratched it up with a green Scotch Brite. I used denatured alcohol for a final wipe down and taped off the inside of the stock where I didn't want any paint. I used the flat black as my base and did three coatings of that. After it was good and dry, I sponged on the green and sand. I just sprayed those two colors on some small paper plates and lightly dipped the sponge in the paint. You will need some cardboard to blot the sponges each time you dip them, they will have too much paint on them to apply directly to the stock without it being a big blob of paint. I would practice on some cardboard first, it just takes a very light touch after most of the paint is blotted off the sponge. The color you want to show up best needs to be applied last. After you get the colors on, let it dry for 2-3 days. Then apply a matte clear coat that works on plastics. I used about five VERY thin coats of the clear on mine. I put a picture of the paint and sponges below, good luck and let me know how it turns out.
IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0904.png

Lt.Dan

I used craft sponges from Walmart. They were in the hobby section. I also used Rust-Oleum camo paint in black, army green and sand. I washed the stock down with dawn and hot water, then lightly scratched it up with a green Scotch Brite. I used denatured alcohol for a final wipe down and taped off the inside of the stock where I didn't want any paint. I used the flat black as my base and did three coatings of that. After it was good and dry, I sponged on the green and sand. I just sprayed those two colors on some small paper plates and lightly dipped the sponge in the paint. You will need some cardboard to blot the sponges each time you dip them, they will have too much paint on them to apply directly to the stock without it being a big blob of paint. I would practice on some cardboard first, it just takes a very light touch after most of the paint is blotted off the sponge. The color you want to show up best needs to be applied last. After you get the colors on, let it dry for 2-3 days. Then apply a matte clear coat that works on plastics. I used about five VERY thin coats of the clear on mine. I put a picture of the paint and sponges below, good luck and let me know how it turns out.
View attachment 187862
View attachment 187863
Thanks for the instruction. Now to find the time before hunting season.

Latest posts