Camden / DR-85 call

Iglow

We were talking in the blind and one guy started talked about Camden and the Haydel DR-85 being the preferred call? Do y'all Camden guys have any pics?
Seems like I've seen some and they were wrapped in black electrical tape?

Last edited:

cbhunter

We were talking in the blind and one guy started talked about Camden and the Haydel DR-85 being the preferred call? Do y'all Camden guys have any pics?
Seems like I've seen some and they were wrapped in black electrical tape?
From my understanding they are prone to cracking after lots of use, then they wrap them.

Iglow

I have seen thousands die to the sound of a DR85. Nothing to do with how much a call costs. Ever heard the saying, "it's not the arrow it's the Indian."
Boy ain't that the truth, I heard them talking about $1500.00 shotguns and how to keep them working… they even said they keep them over a little heater between shooting at dux🤔🙄.
I paid $225.00 plus shipping for the 20ga Mossberg 500 I used all weekend and thru rain and snow and ice it never failed to go 💥💥💥.

Spurhunter

The 2 best meat callers I've ever hunted with blew the DR-85 exclusively. Calling in tandem they could make ducks do things they didn't want to do. It was amazing to watch. One of them died of cancer 5 or 6 years ago. All that said, I can't stand a DR-85 for me personally. It's definitely the indian and not the arrow.

Displaced_Vol

There was another thread about calls on here a week or two ago. I said for the money a Dr-85 can't be beat. Of course I have a problem and buy too many duck calls but that Haydel usually gets it done day in & day out.
JJ Lares is my current new favorite.

Dodge Man

I have seen thousands die to the sound of a DR85. Nothing to do with how much a call costs. Ever heard the saying, "it's not the arrow it's the Indian."
That really means nothing, I have seen the worst callers in history kill limits on some days. I have seen championship calls Zero multiple days in a row. I would not attribute either one to the quality of the call they used. I know great callers that use top dollar calls and have a few cheap ones on their lanyard as well. I don't know a single great caller that uses nothing but cheap calls.

Westtnduckhtr

I agree with some of what you say as I and others I know in addition to my RNT DC, Originals and NOS have a DR85 my lanyard. But we/they still blow the DR some of the time. I even blow my Scobey metal reed for a different sound. I also see and have hunted with many that only blow one call that they have perfected and become to use the analogy, the Indian. Those have been, Lares Hybrid, Glen Scobey, DR85, Alvin Taylor, RNT DC, RNT Mondo and Foiles Straight Meat. One of the best Indians has just one call, Glen Scobey on his tarred decoy line laynard. I have seen for years him call in ducks, like a trance. He is a older Reelfoot guide. All about what you have confidence in and your ability to read ducks.

Bgoodman30

That really means nothing, I have seen the worst callers in history kill limits on some days. I have seen championship calls Zero multiple days in a row. I would not attribute either one to the quality of the call they used. I know great callers that use top dollar calls and have a few cheap ones on their lanyard as well. I don't know a single great caller that uses nothing but cheap calls.

I know several never entered any contests of course. Blow the same poly calls usually Haydels or Primos and can work the snot out of them...

TAFKAP

A DR-85 in the right hands is a for sure meat whistle.

You know a good meat whistle when you see one, don't you? LOL

I couldn't help myself. I picture Andrew Dice Clay going EYYYYOHHHHH when I typed that.
andrew dice clay hickory dickory dock GIF

Bgoodman30

You know a good meat whistle when you see one, don't you? LOL

I couldn't help myself. I picture Andrew Dice Clay going EYYYYOHHHHH when I typed that.
andrew dice clay hickory dickory dock GIF

Ha! If you can't take a little duck blind (forum) ribbing we can't be friends..

Latest posts