Cajun cane call

Iglow

I'll add pics in next posts. Call from cane and cedar from out place. No power tools needed or used.

Attachments

• IMG_3510.jpeg
    IMG_3510.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3509.jpeg
    IMG_3509.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 5

MickThompson

Is it a single or double reed? Ever use any woods besides cedar? I used to dabble j frames on the wood lathe and cedar sounded good but was quiet and you couldn't blow it very hard

Iglow

Is it a single or double reed? Ever use any woods besides cedar? I used to dabble j frames on the wood lathe and cedar sounded good but was quiet and you couldn't blow it very hard
It's the first one, single reed. I kinda went by a DR-85. It sounds pretty good but it's not very loud, kinda hard to move air through it. Weird for a single reed, can't overblow it and make it squeak or lock up. 🤷‍♂️ I'm gonna make some more and maybe try to make a jig for the soundboard.
I got the idea from a Dale Borderlon youtube vid where he shows how it's done with no power tools. His calls sound great. I'm gonna keep working at it.

OffHand85

make another, this time try to "petrify" the wood.
Get a mason jar and a brake bleeder pump, drill a hole in the mason jar lid, secure vacuum pump to suck the air out of the jar.
You'll need wood hardener, torch your wood and fine sand before, down to 800 grit minimum.
You can add dye or stains to get a color you like or go clear.
Put your parts to the call inside the jar, completely cover the wood with your hardener.
Secure lid, pump out the air, minimum 3 days in.
You'll replace the moisture in the wood with the hardener.
Fine sand and assemble your call, I like a turners finish for final coat, very thinly apply and fine sand, Amazon has extra fine sand paper to like 3,000 grit, and down to microns for high polish.
A lot of work but you'll find the tune you like. Very funn transforming the wood to something that will last forever!

Iglow

I made another one, I've never heard of the process you described, sounds interesting. I'm just making a few for something to do, I guess there's plenty of duck call makers in the world that know what they are doing, I'm just pittling.

Attachments

• IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    247 KB · Views: 16

MickThompson

Its been a while since I tried a Louisiana style but a jig works better if there's a set screw to keep the tone board from slipping in the jig.

You'll eat up your jig if you file it unless it's hardened

Iglow

Its been a while since I tried a Louisiana style but a jig works better if there's a set screw to keep the tone board from slipping in the jig.

You'll eat up your jig if you file it unless it's hardened
We're gonna file the blank flat before it goes in the jig and scrape it to shape with a pcs of glass, we're gonna fix the set screw next week, either drill and tap the jig itself or solder a nut above a hole?

OffHand85

I use petrifying for knife scales, it's also referred to as "stabilizing"
Cellulose moisture is replaced with epoxy basically. Making wood grain very hard, it can crack and split if you apply too much pressure in one area.

Latest posts