Buying a boat question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
May be fixing to buy a used boat.
The guy selling it said I need to go by the courthouse and get a bill of sale so we can fill it out.

Will it matter if I get it from the courthouse in the county I live in or can I get it where the boat is or does it matter?

I know that is a silly question but I have never owned a boat and don't know how all this works.

mike243

be advised you will pay 10% tax on it when you register it.if the bill of sale is too low they will want to go by blue book value,then you get to pay twra for a yearly fee also

rutnstrut2

You can do a bill of sale all it has to say is vin # how much and both of you sign it the u take it to court house but they r right if it is to low they will further research it and make both of u sign a differant form they send to ur house to make sure they get the same story from both the seller and buyer but I usually go 25 percent below what I got it for and evrything is alright

Kirk

I have bought a boat and sold a boat in the past two years. In both cases I printed off a bill of sale from the internet. I filled it out, both parties signed it.

Bill of Sale Template

You have to include the hull number which is printed on the rear of the hull. (On most boats.)

You will have to list the registration number on the bow of the boat.

The engine number is usually imprinted on the motor and location varies by MFG.

Once you have the boat taxed, then the you have to register it with TWRA.

As for the money and tax end of it. Boat pricing is not a science by any means. Prices will vary greatly on a boat based on who is selling it, where it is located and how close it is to water. So look it up on Blue Book or NADA and get a fair value for it in mind. If you walk in there with a bill of sale for 1/2 the value they will research it.

I bought my 20' Stratos from a guy that needed to sell it due to medical bills. I paid $9,500 for a boat that booked at 14,500. When I went in to register it, I knew they were going to raise thier eyebrows. THEY DIDN"T. They just collected their tax and registerd the boat. Who knows how they will react.

InfoMan

And when you buy or sell a boat don't pass along the registration card. On the back of the card it says the seller has 15 days to mail the card back in and say he has sold the boat. Gets it out of your name so you are no longer responsible for what it does.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I haven't looked it up to see what the book value is but I am sure it is going to be a few thousand dollars more than I am paying for it.

That is gonna suck too.

Grizzly Johnson

RUGER said:
I haven't looked it up to see what the book value is but I am sure it is going to be a few thousand dollars more than I am paying for it.

That is gonna suck too.

That shouldn't matter about that little amount.... if there were a huge difference then they might look into it..... but hey... you bought a fixer upper right ;) :whistle:

infoman jr.

I bought a boat last year from a private party. All I did was print a bill of sale off the internet, signed it and had the seller sign and have it notorized. My bill of sale included the hull, trailer, and motor number in addition to describing any extra equipment included...electronics and trolling motor. That way there is no question as to what is being sold.

Most of the clerks won't know what a boat is worth. I wouldn't worry about having to pay for the book value. Enjoy!

Latest posts