boat and dam

tellico4x4

Back in August when it was hotter than blue blazes the catfish bite was pretty good below Wheeler Dam. Twelve year old grandson & I would fish from daylight until about 10:00. One day leaving we helped a couple of older gentlemen whose transmission gave out on ramp pulling boat out. They had fished there for decades & gave us a few tips, one was their favorite spot against the powerhouse where one of turbines discharges. Next trip grandson started in on me about going there. I wasn't comfortable about it but after two hours of slow fishing I gave in. They were running a couple turbines about 150-200 yards from where we were which created a backwash. We tied off to the "DANGER" sign as the guys had told us & first 3-4 casts grandson made back in the hole yielded a fish each time. I didn't fish as I was nervous as could be and had my hands full trying to keep the backwash from pushing boat back into the hole. After 15-20 minutes of beating motor cowling against the concrete I told him we had to get out of there. I'll never try that again as it scared the crap out of me the whole time.

Last edited:

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Back in August when it was hotter than blue blazes the catfish bite was pretty good below Wheeler Dam. Twelve year old grandson & I would fish from daylight until about 10:00. One day leaving we helped a couple of older gentlemen whose transmission gave out on ramp pulling boat out. They had fished there for decades & gave us a few tips, one was their favorite spot against the powerhouse where one of turbines discharges. Next trip grandson started in on me about going there. I wasn't comfortable about it but after two hours of slow fishing I gave in. They were running a couple turbines about 150-200 yards from where we were which created a backwash where we were. We tied off to the "DANGER" sign as the guys had told us & first 3-4 casts grandson made back in the hole yielded a fish each time. I didn't fish as I was nervous as could be and had my hands full trying to keep the backwash from pushing boat back into the hole. After 15-20 minutes of beating motor cowling against the concrete I told him we had to get out of there. I'll never try that again as it scared the crap out of me the whole time we were there.
That would be a big nope for me.
Glad ya'll got out of there.
Rivers scare me.

Dbllunger

Back in August when it was hotter than blue blazes the catfish bite was pretty good below Wheeler Dam. Twelve year old grandson & I would fish from daylight until about 10:00. One day leaving we helped a couple of older gentlemen whose transmission gave out on ramp pulling boat out. They had fished there for decades & gave us a few tips, one was their favorite spot against the powerhouse where one of turbines discharges. Next trip grandson started in on me about going there. I wasn't comfortable about it but after two hours of slow fishing I gave in. They were running a couple turbines about 150-200 yards from where we were which created a backwash. We tied off to the "DANGER" sign as the guys had told us & first 3-4 casts grandson made back in the hole yielded a fish each time. I didn't fish as I was nervous as could be and had my hands full trying to keep the backwash from pushing boat back into the hole. After 15-20 minutes of beating motor cowling against the concrete I told him we had to get out of there. I'll never try that again as it scared the crap out of me the whole time.
I have fished that water many times over the last 15 years and it is no joke. That water is definitely for experienced fishermen only. We don't catfish but we pull up to within 25-30 yards of the generator holes and drift back downriver with the current. I see the catfishermen tie up exactly where you are talking about all the time. That is big water and demands respect and you better make sure your motor is working in tip top fashion. I'll probably be down there in about two weeks to chase smallies, hybrid, whites and rockfish. I love fishing that water more than anywhere else. Sounds like you know exactly what you were doing and stayed safe. I assume ya'll normally anchor up somewhere down below the power lines. Seems that is where most of the catfishermen stay. We always have to keep our head on a swivel so that we don't drift into one of them. That place can be magical in the spring and fall.

tellico4x4

I have fished that water many times over the last 15 years and it is no joke. That water is definitely for experienced fishermen only. We don't catfish but we pull up to within 25-30 yards of the generator holes and drift back downriver with the current. I see the catfishermen tie up exactly where you are talking about all the time. That is big water and demands respect and you better make sure your motor is working in tip top fashion. I'll probably be down there in about two weeks to chase smallies, hybrid, whites and rockfish. I love fishing that water more than anywhere else. Sounds like you know exactly what you were doing and stayed safe. I assume ya'll normally anchor up somewhere down below the power lines. Seems that is where most of the catfishermen stay. We always have to keep our head on a swivel so that we don't drift into one of them. That place can be magical in the spring and fall.
Yep, live about 20 minutes from Wheeler & Wilson. Have fished them for years, love small mouth in the fall. Actually quit freshwater fishing for about 20 years & bought another boat couple years ago because of grandson .

Smo

Does anyone still catfish tied too the rings on Wilson Dam?
When snagging was legal, we would catch blues two at a time fairly regular.

I always liked jug fishing in the "hole" discharge.

agelessssone

Does anyone still catfish tied too the rings on Wilson Dam?
When snagging was legal, we would catch blues two at a time fairly regular.

I always liked jug fishing in the "hole" discharge.
Jugging is illegal within 1000 yds if a dam in Tennessee.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927_153018_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_153018_Google.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 24

Gravey

Sad deal. I remember fishing Priest with my grandfather growing up and we never went down toward the dam but for some reason had. They started sounding the sirens and he started pulling on the rope to start the motor and it would not start. Don't recall how long he pulled but it finally started and we got out of there before they started generating. The next week my uncle, his son, bought him a new Bass Tracker.

Last edited:

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Sad deal. I remember fishing Priest with my grandfather growing up and we never went down toward the dam but for some reason had. They started sounding the sirens and he started pulling on the rope to start the motor and it would not start. Don't recall how long he pulled but it finally started and we got out of there before they started generating. The next week my uncle, his son, bought him a new Bass Tracker.
I'm going to let my kids know that I had trouble getting my motor started last week; see which one buys me a new boat first.

Last edited:

woodsman04

I know this exact feeling. Been up in a hole there.

Latest posts