broad heads and field tips

southernhunter

any suggestions on what type of broad head yall use ? 2,3 or 4 blade. weight ? i am guessing the weight of practice points need to match the broad heads ?

FOX FIRE

Your correct about match'n the weight of field points & your hunt'n broadheads, go'n heavy is kind of the rule with trad bows.

With a compound you have plenty of horse power from the cams that makes the speed (the limbs barely move when drawn), this (speed) lets you shoot a light weight arrow/broadhead combo and still get penetration .

With a long bow or recurve bow the limbs do all the work and shoot much slower, so to achieve penetration a heavy arrow/BH is needed to soak up the energy from the limbs, once the arrow hits the deer all that energy is stored in the weight & gives it penetraion.

Imagine a kid gets in moms little Honda civic, knocks it outta gear & it rolls down the drive hits the garage door, it makes a dent in the metal door, the kid gets in dads full sized Dodge crew cab diesel, knocks it outta gear & it smashes thru the door & kills the clothes dryer...the weight of the truck gave it the extra penatration.

I think I said that right, maybe some one has can explain it better.

eddie c

FOX FIRE said:
Your correct about match'n the weight of field points & your hunt'n broadheads, go'n heavy is kind of the rule with trad bows.

With a compound you have plenty of horse power from the cams that makes the speed (the limbs barely move when drawn), this (speed) lets you shoot a light weight arrow/broadhead combo and still get penetration .

With a long bow or recurve bow the limbs do all the work and shoot much slower, so to achieve penetration a heavy arrow/BH is needed to soak up the energy from the limbs, once the arrow hits the deer all that energy is stored in the weight & gives it penetraion.

Imagine a kid gets in moms little Honda civic, knocks it outta gear & it rolls down the drive hits the garage door, it makes a dent in the metal door, the kid gets in dads full sized Dodge crew cab diesel, knocks it outta gear & it smashes thru the door & kills the clothes dryer...the weight of the truck gave it the extra penatration.

I think I said that right, maybe some one has can explain it better.

well said.

my field points, small game(stumping) heads and broadheads all weigh the same. I take a couple of SG heads with me while deer hunting. I may take a practice shot out of the stand when leaving, shoot at a squirrel or stump shoot on the way out just to keep in practice.

FOX FIRE

Usually have a mixed bag of arrows when I'm hunt'n, keep a couple with field points, judo or a dull broadhead, never can tell what'll show up, at the least shoot your way back to the truck for fun.

MMHunter

Squirrel with a bow can be fun. Always keep some field points on hand for those type of shots.

Latest posts