Another broad-head question

RidgeRunner13

I'm running Easton Axis 5mm shafts with a 4 vane fletch and 100 grain tips. I went to check broad-head accuracy today and man was I surprised and confused. I bought some G5 Striker X broad-heads to try this year. Screwed one on and it's hitting 6-8 inches to the right. I tried it another couple of times and the same result. I grabbed an old Muzzy MX3 and it hit right with my field tips. I grabbed a Magnus Stinger and it hit right with my field tips too. I know if a bow is tuned correctly then fixed blades shouldn't be an issue. I've shot fix blades for 15 years with no issues. But this is a first for me. Is the 4 blade broad-head with the 4 vane working against themselves? What have y'all seen with something like this?

Ski

Idiosyncrasies. Could be tough to pin down. What I do when I get a new pack of heads is I shoot every head on every arrow at every distance. When I get a head and arrow combo that consistently hits with field tips at every distance then I leave it be. I sharpen the blades and put the arrow in my quiver. I continue until my quiver is full of arrows that fly perfect. That way I have confidence in every single arrow and have zero fear of something weird happening when I shoot at an animal.

Might also try twisting the nock a few degrees at a time and see if that changes flight. Might be able to nock tune like that. It surprising how often it works.

CrossVolle

Just to expand a little more. If you are intent on shooting the G5s, it's late in the process, but I would strip the fletches off every arrow and go thru the nock tune process again again with a field tip.

The concept of a 4 blade with 4 fletch is perplexing because intuition tells us that should stabilize the flight of that arrow. But I've beat my head against a wall more than most and I've learned one thing: drag does weird things to arrow flight and it is hard to predict one way or another.

RidgeRunner13

Hard to pin that down. But if you have heads hitting with the field tips then i would say it answers the what you should shoot question pretty decisively.
I agree with you. I ordered some Magnus and I have some left over replacement blades for the three usable MX3 heads that I have left.

I was just curious what was up with the G5 heads. I've shot numerous fixed blades heads out of this bow and my previous one with zero issues. This is just the first time that I've seen one not hit with the field points. After season I will probably grab a shaft and look into the knock tuning that yall are talking about. I just found that two different styles of fix blade hit perfect (with the same arrow for all three heads), but the one was 8 inches out.

Remi

Have you paper tuned and bare shaft tuned?

After paper tuning to a bullet hole I walk back bareshaft tuned to 30yds.

this was bareshaft, broadhead and fieldpoint at 30yds. Right now I've shot 4-5 different broadheads and they all fly right with my field points.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    630.2 KB · Views: 30

CrossVolle

this was bareshaft, broadhead and fieldpoint at 30yds. Right now I've shot 4-5 different broadheads and they all fly right with my field points.
Next time if you really wanna get weird, make sure everyone is outta the way and strap a broadhead on that bare shaft 😂😂.

RidgeRunner13

I did paper tune it, but I did not do a bare shaft tune. I'll probably do that after season.

RidgeRunner13

I appreciate everyone's input. Especially on nock tuning. I went and nock tuned 4 magnus heads and two striker x heads. I shot a doe last night with a striker x and lemme tell you, for a fix blade it leaves a pretty good hole. I have been going over my bow also. When the stings were installed earlier this year, I'm not sure the tech got it quite right. We did paper tune, but I have one cam slightly out of tune and both mods are starting to cut the serving on my cable. I say starting. One has cut through and the other is starting to get there. I was hoping to bow hunt in November but looks like I'll be busting out the smoke pole and rifle again this year. This is my last weekend that I'm able to hunt archery so I'm trying to limp her along.

SinningSaint33

I appreciate everyone's input. Especially on nock tuning. I went and nock tuned 4 magnus heads and two striker x heads. I shot a doe last night with a striker x and lemme tell you, for a fix blade it leaves a pretty good hole. I have been going over my bow also. When the stings were installed earlier this year, I'm not sure the tech got it quite right. We did paper tune, but I have one cam slightly out of tune and both mods are starting to cut the serving on my cable. I say starting. One has cut through and the other is starting to get there. I was hoping to bow hunt in November but looks like I'll be busting out the smoke pole and rifle again this year. This is my last weekend that I'm able to hunt archery so I'm trying to limp her along.
Strings are cheap. Get a portable press for cheap too and replace the strings and cables yourself. It's actually super easy to do.

tree_ghost

Just to expand a little more. If you are intent on shooting the G5s, it's late in the process, but I would strip the fletches off every arrow and go thru the nock tune process again again with a field tip.

The concept of a 4 blade with 4 fletch is perplexing because intuition tells us that should stabilize the flight of that arrow. But I've beat my head against a wall more than most and I've learned one thing: drag does weird things to arrow flight and it is hard to predict one way or another.
I am not a fan of 4 fletch arrows at all because of this…I carry 4 arrows with three fletching and 1 "drunken" 3 fletch for windy days.

tree_ghost

Strings are cheap. Get a portable press for cheap too and replace the strings and cables yourself. It's actually super easy to do.
If your a serious bowhunter you need your own press. There any many different options out there depending on budget. Me personally, there's no way on Gods green earth id let someone else tune my bow!

RidgeRunner13

If your a serious bowhunter you need your own press. There any many different options out there depending on budget. Me personally, there's no way on Gods green earth id let someone else tune my bow!
I used to be. I still have my old cable press for my outback. This is the first year I've gotten back into archery hunting in 5+ years. I'll get all the tools again. It comes back with time.

SinningSaint33

I was nervous about it at first, but that little portable press is the best investment I've made. Eventually I might get a table mounted press and draw board.

Latest posts