Boating Peeve

Crow Terminator

This right here. I get it...I don't own the ramp. But I also don't have much patience with people any more. What they people are doing in the pic
20221022_190829.jpg
is...blocking the boat ramp and standing there talking while slowly stowing their gear and kayaks. When I kayak fish, I never use the ramps. But here lately I've noticed boaters doing the same thing. Load the boat on the trailer, pull the boat up out of the water...then stop on the ramp to secure straps and gear. I always pull mine to the staging area...undo straps and get ready to launch. When I back mine down the ramp, all I have to do is unhook the front winch hook and into the boat I go. Coming back in...I drive it on the trailer, hook the front hook and winch it up...pull the boat out and up to the staging area again to do my final securing and then hit the road.

Kirk

Boat ramps always get my blood up. My favorite is the big ski boats and Wake Boats that back 1/2 way down the ramp and then start loading the boat with supplies, skis, and coolers. Then make 4 or 5 attempts to finish backing down ramp.

megalomaniac

What does that have to do with boat ramp etiquette?
Not sure why, but it seems the new yuppies with the $5000 kayaks have the same amount of common sense as the jet skiers.

Not meaning to be assholes, but just are because they haven't been taught proper boating etiquette launching or on the water itself.

But that just may be where I fish in MS and it's not like that in TN

Crappieaddict

This right here. I get it...I don't own the ramp. But I also don't have much patience with people any more. What they people are doing in the picView attachment 153374 is...blocking the boat ramp and standing there talking while slowly stowing their gear and kayaks. When I kayak fish, I never use the ramps. But here lately I've noticed boaters doing the same thing. Load the boat on the trailer, pull the boat up out of the water...then stop on the ramp to secure straps and gear. I always pull mine to the staging area...undo straps and get ready to launch. When I back mine down the ramp, all I have to do is unhook the front winch hook and into the boat I go. Coming back in...I drive it on the trailer, hook the front hook and winch it up...pull the boat out and up to the staging area again to do my final securing and then hit the road.
That's my approach exactly. It ain't Rocket Science!

Sam Davis

2 fellows in a pontoon had the ramp blocked 20 minutes last Friday when I was going to load. One of them was going through everything on the boat. I wanted to tell him go ahead and break out the grill and start supper. I thought not worth it.
On the kayak issue. Are they supposed to stay out of the middle of creek channels ? I have had a few sitting in the middle of a couple. I slowed down and idled by them they had plenty of room to stay out of the way if they would have. I had to stay where I was because anywhere else was to shallow to run unless I was using the trolling motor.

megalomaniac

2 fellows in a pontoon had the ramp blocked 20 minutes last Friday when I was going to load. One of them was going through everything on the boat. I wanted to tell him go ahead and break out the grill and start supper. I thought not worth it.
On the kayak issue. Are they supposed to stay out of the middle of creek channels ? I have had a few sitting in the middle of a couple. I slowed down and idled by them they had plenty of room to stay out of the way if they would have. I had to stay where I was because anywhere else was to shallow to run unless I was using the trolling motor.
Noone should ever park in the middle of a channel, no matter the size boat. Had a couple parked 1/3 of the way anchored up fishing in the middle of a bayou yesterday. They thought we were idiots for riding over their fishing spot as we were motoring back to the launch.

THE DUKE

This is what I see on priest alot makes me pissed.

kaizen leader

This right here. I get it...I don't own the ramp. But I also don't have much patience with people any more. What they people are doing in the picView attachment 153374 is...blocking the boat ramp and standing there talking while slowly stowing their gear and kayaks. When I kayak fish, I never use the ramps. But here lately I've noticed boaters doing the same thing. Load the boat on the trailer, pull the boat up out of the water...then stop on the ramp to secure straps and gear. I always pull mine to the staging area...undo straps and get ready to launch. When I back mine down the ramp, all I have to do is unhook the front winch hook and into the boat I go. Coming back in...I drive it on the trailer, hook the front hook and winch it up...pull the boat out and up to the staging area again to do my final securing and then hit the road.
Heck I've had people on Percy Priest launch their boat, drive it to
This right here. I get it...I don't own the ramp. But I also don't have much patience with people any more. What they people are doing in the picView attachment 153374 is...blocking the boat ramp and standing there talking while slowly stowing their gear and kayaks. When I kayak fish, I never use the ramps. But here lately I've noticed boaters doing the same thing. Load the boat on the trailer, pull the boat up out of the water...then stop on the ramp to secure straps and gear. I always pull mine to the staging area...undo straps and get ready to launch. When I back mine down the ramp, all I have to do is unhook the front winch hook and into the boat I go. Coming back in...I drive it on the trailer, hook the front hook and winch it up...pull the boat out and up to the staging area again to do my final securing and then hit the road
Heck on Percy Priest at Fate Sanders I've had them back the boat in, climb in the boat, take the boat to the marina, walk back to their vehicle, and drive out. At least the ramp is wide enough for two. That's another story. Come on.

Spurhunter

I don't encounter many yakkers, but apparently you have to have an IQ under 50 to buy a jet ski, ski boat, or wake boat. I think these people's mamas didn't hug them enough and they need constant attention. There's enough water to go around, but they can't resist getting close to fishermen. I really love the 25 speakers blasting the F bomb for miles on the water when people are trying to fish with their kids. Luckily, the upper end of Sardis has a lot of standing timber that keeps the morons away and you can fish up there without being bombarded with attention prostitutes.

agelessssone

Heck I've had people on Percy Priest launch their boat, drive it to

Heck on Percy Priest at Fate Sanders I've had them back the boat in, climb in the boat, take the boat to the marina, walk back to their vehicle, and drive out. At least the ramp is wide enough for two. That's another story. Come on.
That is common for guide Brian Carper.
I've seen him leave his trailer on the ramp while he BS's with people at the marina.

Crow Terminator

I don't encounter many yakkers, but apparently you have to have an IQ under 50 to buy a jet ski, ski boat, or wake boat. I think these people's mamas didn't hug them enough and they need constant attention. There's enough water to go around, but they can't resist getting close to fishermen. I really love the 25 speakers blasting the F bomb for miles on the water when people are trying to fish with their kids. Luckily, the upper end of Sardis has a lot of standing timber that keeps the morons away and you can fish up there without being bombarded with attention prostitutes.
Yep. I've came to the conclusion that they believe their antics are spectator worthy...thus they seek out an audience. In reality, it's like that scene from Jurassic Park "Nobody cares....see, Nobody cares!!".

jlanecr500

We deal with them all the time. They feel entitled to the use of that ramp for as long as it takes. I got pretty aggravated one evening when they kept dragging their feet loading their boat, I backed my boat right down to their front bumper. Boy, that lit their candles.

We Always stop in a staging area to put up the top, Load equipment, and make everything ready so as to basically back down the ramp and pull out with an empty trailer.

Sako

There are some great videos on YouTube about antics at the boat ramps... especially some down in the Miami area... There are some incredibly stupid people in the world... and to add to that there are some incredibly inconsiderate people as well... the worst are the stupid inconsiderate people...

gasman

I loathe the ones who back down the middle of a two lane ramp....
Had this happen to me Saturday. I was below the dam at Pickwick at the State Park ramp. Guy in a big jacked up F250 backed down the center of the ramp while his kid (12-13 yr old) was in boat trying to trailer it. Took them better part of 15 minutes to load. I was waiting at the top. Took me 4 minutes to back down, get out of truck, get in boat, load it and pull up to the parking area to stow all of my gear. I Hate it when folks take up a ramp like tha.

Latest posts