Boating question

agelessssone

Yes. A canoe with ANY propulsion other than paddles will have to be registered and numbered just like an $80,000 fishing boat.
And, legally, the operator over age 12, has to have a boating certification.
I seriously doubt they would ever be checked and/or cited though.

scn

Actually, no he would not need it for the canoe with the trolling motor:

a) Except as provided in subsection (b), it is unlawful for any person born after January 1, 1989, to operate any vessel subject to registration on any waters of this state unless the operator:
(1) Has successfully completed a monitored National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boating safety examination administered by the agency or an approved representative of the agency; and
(2) Has received a certificate from the Tennessee wildlife resources agency as evidence of successful completion of a monitored NASBLA-approved boating safety examination administered by the agency or an approved representative of the agency; or
(3) Is accompanied on the vessel by, and is under the direct supervision of a person who:
(A) Is eighteen (18) years of age or older and is certified as provided in subdivisions (a)(1) and (2); or
(B) Was born on or before January 1, 1989.
(b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(1) Nonresidents of Tennessee. Nonresidents of Tennessee shall show proof of successful completion of an approved NASBLA course;
(2) Vessels powered by engines of eight and one-half (8.5) horsepower or less;
(3) Persons with operator licenses issued by the United States coast guard; or
(4) Operators of sailboats when under sail alone.

When I started reading, I assumed he would need it. But, subsection b(2) would seem to negate the need with a trolling motor.

TNTreeman

Actually, no he would not need it for the canoe with the trolling motor:

a) Except as provided in subsection (b), it is unlawful for any person born after January 1, 1989, to operate any vessel subject to registration on any waters of this state unless the operator:
(1) Has successfully completed a monitored National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) approved boating safety examination administered by the agency or an approved representative of the agency; and
(2) Has received a certificate from the Tennessee wildlife resources agency as evidence of successful completion of a monitored NASBLA-approved boating safety examination administered by the agency or an approved representative of the agency; or
(3) Is accompanied on the vessel by, and is under the direct supervision of a person who:
(A) Is eighteen (18) years of age or older and is certified as provided in subdivisions (a)(1) and (2); or
(B) Was born on or before January 1, 1989.
(b) Subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(1) Nonresidents of Tennessee. Nonresidents of Tennessee shall show proof of successful completion of an approved NASBLA course;
(2) Vessels powered by engines of eight and one-half (8.5) horsepower or less;
(3) Persons with operator licenses issued by the United States coast guard; or
(4) Operators of sailboats when under sail alone.

When I started reading, I assumed he would need it. But, subsection b(2) would seem to negate the need with a trolling motor.
Can he use said canoe and motor to retrieve coon dogs from neighbors property without permission? 😜

scn

Can he use said canoe and motor to retrieve coon dogs from neighbors property without permission? 😜
I honestly do try not to show my azz on here. It has proven to be easier since I relegated the brown water consumption to fishing celebrations. But, unfortunately, on occasion, my inner redneck comes busting out. It probably wasn't the first time in my dealings with Hogguide on here.

TNTreeman

I honestly do try not to show my azz on here. It has proven to be easier since I relegated the brown water consumption to fishing celebrations. But, unfortunately, on occasion, my inner redneck comes busting out. It probably wasn't the first time in my dealings with Hogguide on here.
I don't recall you ever being offensive on here, you simply answer questions from time to time. That was all just funny . It doesn't look like you're in any danger of losing that $100.

TRIGGER

Thank you for your help. As always your generosity is greatly appreciated.

WTM

But, it is a really good course, and if he is going to be spending time on the water, it will be worth his time to take the course and get certified.
we had to take it 3 different times in school for a 6 weeks grade each time along with hunters safety. that was a little over 40 years ago. very good course.

East TN Bowhunter

If he does need to take the course, make sure he knows the material front to back like he is saying his ABCs. I had to take it 2 or 3 different times to pass it. I was 15 when I took it back in 2005 so I am not sure if it is still as hard as it was back then. The first time I did not study, the second time I studied for an hour or more and the third time I studied for a few hours every night for atleast a week or so.

WTM

If he does need to take the course, make sure he knows the material front to back like he is saying his ABCs. I had to take it 2 or 3 different times to pass it. I was 15 when I took it back in 2005 so I am not sure if it is still as hard as it was back then. The first time I did not study, the second time I studied for an hour or more and the third time I studied for a few hours every night for atleast a week or so.
yep. a wee bit more difficult than the hunters safety with all the bouys, lights, etc. even had questions on sailboats.

Latest posts