Boating Law/Sound Signaling device

Dbllunger

Quick background: In Florida last week I was pulled over in my boat on St. Joseph Bay with my wife and mother in law in the boat. I was taking them for a little sight seeing boat ride to the state park. Life jackets were in order but I had left my boat registration in my wallet back at the rental house. Officer asked if I was fishing. I responded no but had fished that morning. Asked for fishing license and once again I had to tell him it was in my wallet with the registration back at the house. They asked if I had a whistle or some noise device on board and I told them no and I wasn't aware I was supposed to. Well the entire encounter was pleasant with the two officers and they let me off with a warning on everything as I guess they could tell I wasn't really a hardened criminal.

So I got to wondering, do we have to have a noisemaking device on our boats in Tennessee. I looked up the regs on the tn.gov website and must say I am confused. I have a 16 foot boat and can't tell if I need one or not. I will get a whistle or something either way because I think it's a good idea.

Can someone please explain? Here is what the regs say:

Vessels less than 39 feet 4 inches (12 meters) are not specifically required to carry a whistle, horn or bell but they must have some means of making an "efficient sound signal."Vessels over 39 feet 4 inches (12 meters) are required to carry a bell and a powered whistle or horn.

It reads to me like you don't need it but you need it if you are under 39 feet 4 inches.

woodyard

I can't say on the device in TN. I have a horn in both boats.I am surprised they didn'tcheck To see if you had signal flares. When my son lived down there and fished the salt water he kept the air horn and flares in the boat and I think I remember reading they were required. Also a whistle or device for kayaks were required.

CritterGitter

you do in fact have to have a sound signaling device in Tennessee. I got a air horn at Academy, they also have whistles I don't know if that was suffice or not. To be safe I went with the air horn. There is a website with the list of things you need and it does depend on the size of your boat. Throwable life jacket, fire extinguisher and those have expiration dates so you have to keep them up to par

Latest posts