Blood trail mistakes

rem270

@rem270 if I'm reading that correctly. It looks to be the deer is circling back? If that's the case I've been on a tracking job of marginal hit deer and they do the same thing. Circle back to where they were hit for some reason. Usually found piled up in a creek,ditch, or blow down when they die.
I'm hoping the smell or buzzards will lead it to him by the weekend. It's unfortunate to be found like that if he does. He is SICK over it.
Snapchat-1760406407.jpg

backyardtndeer

I'm hoping the smell or buzzards will lead it to him by the weekend. It's unfortunate to be found like that if he does. He is SICK over it.
View attachment 148968
Heck of a deer, hope he finds it.

Really the biggest mistake or maybe misfortune I have seen has been with muzzleloader hunting and not being able to see the deer for the smoke, to know the body language of the deer, exactly where the deer went. Twice my wife has had nice bucks she has shot with muzzleloader, and we had trouble knowing which way the deer went. I actually followed the blood trail of one of those the wrong way, because she didn't know where the deer went into the thick woods. By the time I figured out I was going the wrong way it had gotten late and the batteries on the lights were getting dim. Did find that deer later on, buzzards clued me in. Wife had walked with in probably 5 yards of the deer the morning after she shot him, and never saw him.

We use orange marking tape on the trail, I always go back and pick it up.

AT Hiker

I watched a video of some guys hunting AZ coues deer. One guy shot the deer and it looked like a complete pass thru. Walked up to the arrow and zero blood on it, searched about 20-30 yards up to where the deer ran and no blood. Some mountain bikers came up on them suddenly and spooked the hunters, thinking the bikers were drug runners. They got slightly distracted then a hunting partner who was sitting up on a ridge said he seen the deer run off and down into a drainage and back out the top. Dry desert floor, clean arrow and when they watched it back on the small scree they assumed the deer spun and the arrow deflected off the shoulder. They looked a little bit but with no blood and getting dark plus the hour hike back to the trail head they left.
Got back to camp late that night, watched the video on a bigger screen. Everything looked the same except when the deer disappeared behind a juniper you see blood just dump out on the desert floor. So, they head back out and a few hours later arrive to the shot sight. Walkup to the juniper and see the blood. Deer is dead less than 20 yards away. Come to find out the deer did turn but it sliced his throat, arrow was clean and he didn't bleed until he got behind that juniper and basically bled out instantly after that.

My take away;
  • never fully trust the video if that's your thing
  • contrary to the above the video saved them
  • never fully trust a buddy glassing from a different angle, its a different perspective altogether
  • if you get distracted, stop and reset
  • mentally they gave up and justified it by adding up all the random events and made it fit the outcome they had concluded
  • arrows dont tell the full story
  • blood trails you think should start immediately don't always
  • if one of you are color blind then let the one who can see blood start the track job. Yes, the shooter was color blind.

RockMcL

While in blind with my son, I watched his shot, buck mule kick, cut into brush and then I "saw" it cut left in the brush.

I saw the hit through my scope. Definitely heart hit, dead deer right...

Only waited for a cup after coffee and then hit the trail. Went to where last saw deer running but no blood. Started quartering and saw the buck running flat out looking totally fit. Had my son circle right so I could push the deer to him and he found his buck just inside the brush.

Apparently multiple bucks were on a hot doe and I just saw the wrong big body running in brush.

Ended in good news and lesson learned.
Rule 1 Don't shoot a deer. Shoot a deer heart, or lungs, or neck, or brain--- point being kill shot/know were you are shooting. OR DON'T SHOOT
Rule 2 If you don't find proper blood right away in direction you thought deer went go back to where shot and start over with an open mind.

If you lose blood sometimes it is as simple as the deer is going down hill, if it not spraying, the blood will build inside chest until something changes.

Circles as many pointed out are common. I recall tracking a buck step by step, blood by blood a full 100 yards only to find him dead in the tall grass 30' from where I shot him.

I have lost two deer that I recall. One at 16 year old and one interesting enough at 61. The one at 16 was because I was ignorant. The one at 61 was because I was stupid and shot my son's ML and I misjudged where it would hit at the range I shot. Coyotes got the last one another hunter got the first one.

We (family) usually track right away but we wait for kill shot or don't shoot. 99% of deer are gutted well within the hour.

Since I am writing a book, I will add that I recommend big holes. The only long track I have seen with family was a 5.56 62 grain hollowpoint. One lung and actually went through lower portion of heart. I stood last blood while my son worked ahead and found next. We gave that buck time but it ran a long way. We suspected since he was hurt competitor bucks pushed him...

RockMcL

I watched a video of some guys hunting AZ coues deer. One guy shot the deer and it looked like a complete pass thru. Walked up to the arrow and zero blood on it, searched about 20-30 yards up to where the deer ran and no blood. Some mountain bikers came up on them suddenly and spooked the hunters, thinking the bikers were drug runners. They got slightly distracted then a hunting partner who was sitting up on a ridge said he seen the deer run off and down into a drainage and back out the top. Dry desert floor, clean arrow and when they watched it back on the small scree they assumed the deer spun and the arrow deflected off the shoulder. They looked a little bit but with no blood and getting dark plus the hour hike back to the trail head they left.
Got back to camp late that night, watched the video on a bigger screen. Everything looked the same except when the deer disappeared behind a juniper you see blood just dump out on the desert floor. So, they head back out and a few hours later arrive to the shot sight. Walkup to the juniper and see the blood. Deer is dead less than 20 yards away. Come to find out the deer did turn but it sliced his throat, arrow was clean and he didn't bleed until he got behind that juniper and basically bled out instantly after that.

My take away;
  • never fully trust the video if that's your thing
  • contrary to the above the video saved them
  • never fully trust a buddy glassing from a different angle, its a different perspective altogether
  • if you get distracted, stop and reset
  • mentally they gave up and justified it by adding up all the random events and made it fit the outcome they had concluded
  • arrows dont tell the full story
  • blood trails you think should start immediately don't always
  • if one of you are color blind then let the one who can see blood start the track job. Yes, the shooter was color blind.
My grandson is color blind and I remember trying to teach him to blood trail and he just kept looking at me like I was speaking in tongues. This was on a blood "highway" by the way. A Sprayer...
Finally while I had my finger on blood he said "PopPop, all I see is brown leaf."

I knew he was color blind but just did not know blood was "hidden" from him.

killingtime 41

I made the terrible mistake about 3 years ago. Of thinking I had made a easy kill shot and didn't wait long enough. Found 2 tiny specks of blood so I know he was hit but no more blood. I should have backed out right then. But really expected to find him dead not very far away. Obviously the shot was not what I thought it was. And I looked with help and never found him. I was off work for 5 days and next morning it snowed 8 inches. I still looked for that buck for 3 different days. I was sick for a good while over that one. And I will not make that mistake again. Either better shooting or just back out and come back. But it was almost dark that's also what made me rush to find him.

Hduke86

Heck of a deer, hope he finds it.

Really the biggest mistake or maybe misfortune I have seen has been with muzzleloader hunting and not being able to see the deer for the smoke, to know the body language of the deer, exactly where the deer went. Twice my wife has had nice bucks she has shot with muzzleloader, and we had trouble knowing which way the deer went. I actually followed the blood trail of one of those the wrong way, because she didn't know where the deer went into the thick woods. By the time I figured out I was going the wrong way it had gotten late and the batteries on the lights were getting dim. Did find that deer later on, buzzards clued me in. Wife had walked with in probably 5 yards of the deer the morning after she shot him, and never saw him.

We use orange marking tape on the trail, I always go back and pick it up.
I remember those problems plenty. Gun goes off on a dead calm cold morning and seems like the smoke cloud was 20' round and just stayed there. Many times I would expect the deer to be laying dead when the smoke cleared but just like Houdini, they would be gone lol

tree_ghost

Not moving slow enough on a marginal shot deer with your weapon at the ready. Gut shot deer can live a while and are often so sick on the track that you can stalk up on them alive still. In that situation a kill shot could be made. If you bump that deer and the adrenaline kicks in your chances of recovery drop drastically.

Cheshire

Stemming from a story ya'll may or may not hear later:

Back in the day I was a better than average tracker.
Not bragging, just know that I left my house at 9:00 at night to help find a deer many many times.
I got to where, I could tell within the first 100 yards of a blood trail whether or not I was gonna find the deer.
Not one time did it go different than I "called" it in that first 100 yards.

Is there any mistake more common or more costly than getting on the blood trail too soon?
I absolutely can't think of anything that is worse.
Yes I have done it but learned quickly that is the absolute WORST thing you can do.

Others I have seen are:
1) Not sure exactly where the deer was standing.
2) Not sure of where I lost sight of the deer.
3) Too many "helpers" walking too fast and stomping out what might be the only pindrop of blood, or turned over leaf that would be your only clue as to which direction the deer went at a turn.
4) Trying to move too fast on the blood trail.
5) Not doing your job if you are assigned to stay behind the tracker and scan the area 50-100 yards all around you for a movement or bedded deer.
6) I "figure" he went this way...... 🤦‍♂️

What else?
Someone has probably already said this, but luminated nocks. Not only will you be able to find your arrow easier, but it's easier to tell where the point of impact is

FLTENNHUNTER1

Mistakes:

Taking marginal shots due to rack size.

Not marking where deer was shot. It is real easy to lose sight or forget where it was hit.

Not having reflective markers while tracking deer. Mark where your stand is before leaving it. Reflective markers can be seen ALONG ways even with a marginal flashlight.

Not using lighted nocks. Impossible to find in the dark without one. Blood on arrow or lack of blood, smell of arrow, color of hair on arrow all help determine where on the body the arrow hit.

A powerful search light can light up a deer's white belly from a LONG distance.

Taking marginal shots when it's raining. If it isn't a broadside chip shot I will not take it if it is raining or close to raining.

recurve60#

Stemming from a story ya'll may or may not hear later:

Back in the day I was a better than average tracker.
Not bragging, just know that I left my house at 9:00 at night to help find a deer many many times.
I got to where, I could tell within the first 100 yards of a blood trail whether or not I was gonna find the deer.
Not one time did it go different than I "called" it in that first 100 yards.

Is there any mistake more common or more costly than getting on the blood trail too soon?
I absolutely can't think of anything that is worse.
Yes I have done it but learned quickly that is the absolute WORST thing you can do.

Others I have seen are:
1) Not sure exactly where the deer was standing.
2) Not sure of where I lost sight of the deer.
3) Too many "helpers" walking too fast and stomping out what might be the only pindrop of blood, or turned over leaf that would be your only clue as to which direction the deer went at a turn.
4) Trying to move too fast on the blood trail.
5) Not doing your job if you are assigned to stay behind the tracker and scan the area 50-100 yards all around you for a movement or bedded deer.
6) I "figure" he went this way...... 🤦‍♂️

What else?
If you knew the end result in 100 yards, as I do as well, waiting wasnt going to change anything. A dead shot is dead quickly, a gut shot...leave for at least six hours, liver yeah wait a bit before tracking, maybe two hours. Other than that time doesnt matter, you aint gonna find it. I dont wait after a shot unless i know its liver or gutshot. Im talking bow hunting here.

recurve60#

Funny/scary story that I can tell since I believe the statue of limitations has since passed.

I was maybe 9-10 years old and was staying the weekend with my uncle and cousins. My uncle had some buddies over and they had too much to drink and asked us if we wanted to ride around and spotlight deer. Being kids with no idea that we would be breaking the law, we all agreed.

When we saw the first deer, I was instructed to hold the light while my uncle shot. He pulled the trigger and the deer fell over. When we got to the deer, I noticed my uncle had shot the deer in the eye. I asked my uncle why he shot it in the eye and his drunken response was "that's where you was holding the light". When my mom found out what we did, I was never allowed to stay over at their place again.

That same night, my cousin had his finger on the trigger when he pushed the safety forward on his rifle and he fired the rifle through the floor of the truck. My uncle was irate but I remember laughing uncontrollably when one of his buddies said "congratulations David, you just killed a nice 4x4."
Are you from Spencer?

Shooter77

2-Step Enabled
Hit deer that run after the shot but are about to croak often, OFTEN make a hard zig or zag before they fall. I don't know how many times I've been tracking a good blood trail that is is basically running straight seemingly just quit. Almost without exception looking for that hard turn picks up the trail again and/or the deer is laying right there.
Truth there...I shot a buck one AM that was behind my stand up on a ridge top. I got up there and didn't see any sign where I hit him. I seen a tree about size of quarter cut in half from my bullet and a few white hairs. I walked about another 10 yards and blood was every where. Tracked him about 75 yards around the ridge then blood stopped. I started doing circles and was blown away I couldn't find the deer. Then I decided to just set down and replay things. While I was sitting there, I looked down hill directly below where the blood stopped and about 40 yards away was the buck laying against a tree.

1663592505930.jpeg

1663592526051.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts