Blind draw ?

Stlbaseball1

I'm all for folks across the state having a chance and wanting to hunt ducks on public land but it really baffles me how many people put in for places that have no clue about them. I'm not taking about how many ducks they kill, but actually have no clue where they are, how to get there, what is needed to get there, water levels, etc.

Kritter Gitter

I'm all for folks across the state having a chance and wanting to hunt ducks on public land but it really baffles me how many people put in for places that have no clue about them. I'm not taking about how many ducks they kill, but actually have no clue where they are, how to get there, what is needed to get there, water levels, etc.
Ive never hunted it or Reelfoot in general. Thats why I was asking for advice, NOT flack!

TimberMan

Just about it in general. We have hunted Bogata quite a bit. Im just not familiar with Reelfoot.
Well the wind will be rough there and I hope you have enough boat to handle crossing it with a load. A ton of stumps that way. I wouldn't expect a ton of big ducks. You might catch some local mallards early on.

Pic IN the Casa

Why are so many people that don't even own boats drawing duck blinds
Last year a boatless guy drew a boat blind at Johnsons Creek in Cheatham. How do I know this?
His wife posted on a fb page asking if anyone knew anything about it. I talked to her and she said her husband put in for the draw and never duck hunted and didn't own a boat.
I guarantee he never even made it to the boat ramp to set his eyes on 'his' blind.

Kritter Gitter

Last year a boatless guy drew a boat blind at Johnsons Creek in Cheatham. How do I know this?
His wife posted on a fb page asking if anyone knew anything about it. I talked to her and she said her husband put in for the draw and never duck hunted and didn't own a boat.
I guarantee he never even made it to the boat ramp to set his eyes on 'his' blind.
Oh lord! We got everything, including a boat. We have just never hunted that lake and asking for any advice. Ive hunted since I was 13 so I aint a newbie!

JBell

I can see how it might throw someone at Johnson's. He may have not known you couldn't access it without crossing private ground. The group that drew blind 7 this year are in the same situation. Should be open for buisness if anyone needs a spot

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Oh lord! We got everything, including a boat. We have just never hunted that lake and asking for any advice. Ive hunted since I was 13 so I aint a newbie!
The best advice I can give you is to take a trip now and find the blind spot, and see how you need to access it and what kind of work you are looking at to build/repair/brush a blind there. The lake is full of stumps, lilly pads, and there may be debris from previous blinds around the spot that will need to be figured out. Check various boat launches around the area, some may be closer than others, or less used and thus easier to access. Bear in mind, that IF we get cold weather, certain parts of the lake freeze sooner than others and thicker than others. The water level is more subject to fluctuation due to it being a natural lake as opposed to man made. Build accordingly. You can look at the water rings on cypress trees to give you a hint of what the levels have been in the past, but right now, the lake is low(last report I saw anyhow, but that was prior to recent rains). If we get more rain, it'll come up some. Build with that in mind. With the water low, more stumps will be visible, but that also means more sitting just below the water surface that will be hard to see in the dark. WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET, and good luck.

rem270

Reelfoot Lake used to the a great place to hunt and I think the atmosphere and old tales are still there but duck hunting on Reelfoot is pretty terrible now. Granted you'll get in some ducks once in a while but it's not as often as it used to be. Also if you've never been on Reelfoot then I would go make some practice runs to your blind several times before the opener. It's a place that can get you hurt quickly if you don't know the area. Not sure where 34 is but if it's open water be prepared to stare at blinds 200 yards away from you at every angle and be ready to try and work the few ducks you will see with all the others around you trying to work them as well. I hate the open water hunting there having to stare at all the blinds around you all day long.

Levee Jumper

Reelfoot Lake used to the a great place to hunt and I think the atmosphere and old tales are still there but duck hunting on Reelfoot is pretty terrible now. Granted you'll get in some ducks once in a while but it's not as often as it used to be. Also if you've never been on Reelfoot then I would go make some practice runs to your blind several times before the opener. It's a place that can get you hurt quickly if you don't know the area. Not sure where 34 is but if it's open water be prepared to stare at blinds 200 yards away from you at every angle and be ready to try and work the few ducks you will see with all the others around you trying to work them as well. I hate the open water hunting there having to stare at all the blinds around you all day long.
They will stare at way more crappie fisherman than other duck blinds down there.

This picture was taken about 200 yards From RD34.

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 3.10.12 PM.png

Last edited:

Latest posts