Binoculars?

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
What's the best for the money...I prefer Nikon or Leupold in brand

PillsburyDoughboy

Leupold. Nikon warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. First hand here !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AllOutdoors

PillsburyDoughboy":1n80l3o2 said:
AllOutdoors":1n80l3o2 said:

I own a pair of 8x42 Minox and for what I paid for them open box.... I can't complain,

Mine are 10x42 and besides my weapon of choice, they are my most important piece of gear.

PillsburyDoughboy

AllOutdoors":jxrivy7x said:
PillsburyDoughboy":jxrivy7x said:
AllOutdoors":jxrivy7x said:

I own a pair of 8x42 Minox and for what I paid for them open box.... I can't complain,

Mine are 10x42 and besides my weapon of choice, they are my most important piece of gear.

I just got a pair of Weaver 8x30 that weigh just 18oz where the Minox weigh 28 Oz. the weight is noticible while the clarity and field of view is very similar. I think for the majority of hunting I do the Weavers should be sufficient,
The weavers were just 80 on Amazon and I consider them a very good deal. May not be the best Binos I have but they are nice and light and very clear and bright

Vermin93

Totally depends on what price range you are talking about. Amazon sells binos for as cheap as $6, as expensive as $8000, and just about everywhere in between. Gotta know what price range to know which brands and models are in play.

TNRifleman

I have owned Nikon Monarchs, Zeiss Conquest HD's, Vortex Diamondbacks and Vortex Vipers. All in 10x42. I couldn't tell any difference between the Zeiss and the Vipers except for the price. The best bang for the buck in my opinion are the Diamondbacks because performance is not that much less than the Vipers and they can be found on sale for under $200.

smalljawbasser

I would recommend going to a store to handle some. Not so much to compare glass, cause store conditions stink for that. But the way binoculars work from one brand to the next can be very different. Focus wheel, diopter adjustments, ergonomics, eyecups, etc are all very important. For instance, Nikon glass to me is pretty good. But the focus wheel and diopter adjustments I didn't care for.

I will say, that no matter what anybody tells you, alpha glass is called alpha for a reason. If you are patient and watch 24hrcampfire and longrangehunting.com, you can find alpha glass below $1000 in nice used shape. I have a pair of swaro 8x30's I gave $500 for that are awesome. Before that, I had a pair of Leica 10x40 ultra vids I gave $700 for.

IMO, used swaro/Leica is the best bang for the buck.

kornbread

2-Step Enabled
I've looked through Nikon monarchs and like them.... I was just trying to see what everyone's preference was to see if something came up that I was unaware of in the binocular market... The budget is in the $200 range... Give or take a little

PillsburyDoughboy

kornbread":20vlrdil said:
I've looked through Nikon monarchs and like them.... I was just trying to see what everyone's preference was to see if something came up that I was unaware of in the binocular market... The budget is in the $200 range... Give or take a little

This!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DT46YO ... ref=plSrch

I recently purchased a pair of these and was astonished to find how well they stacked up against my 8x42 McKinley. They are extreamly bright and offer a very wide field of view. A dusk I can see well way past legal shooting light to determine if it's a buck or a doe . I've been able to pick up deer bedded down in thickets with them by finding antler tips sticking out or ears that stand out. The clarity is just that refined . They are extreamly light to. For most eastern woods hunting I see me packing these for most of my hunting .

And Leupolds warranty is as bullet proof as they come. Never a issue with them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

PillsburyDoughboy

6 months ago I was sold on the fact u needed a 42mm obj for proper hunting Binoculars . These current crops of 8x30 and 8x32 have me totally rethinking that . Other than for long periods of glassing I can not really see the advantages of the 8x42 vs the 8x32 . Ck the specks then test them in the field and see if you do not agree as well .

PillsburyDoughboy

I get asked a lot about ED glass. Do I need it?

I think in general if u can afford it and u are planning a western hunt where the hours of glassing are going to be long there might be some advantage in buying a pair.

I own two pair . One is Ziess 8x42 and the other is Leupold 10x42 . They are wonderful don't get me wrong . But as far as a big game hunter goes I'm not sure the average bear is going to really see much difference or gain much out of a set of ED Binos.

Now if you are doubling them for birdwAtching that's another subject.

PillsburyDoughboy

Today on the stand I am using my Weaver 8x34. NOT my most exciting pair of Binos but probably the best sleeper Bino on the Market . At 18 OZ it rides on a chest harness all day long and you don't even know it's there . For quick ID of game and General glassing of the Forrest floor they are wonderful . I don't find them quite as forgiving as the 8x32 Leupolds but these set me back $80 . You can go to Wally World and make a $80 mistake or get these and have urself a nice set of Binos .

PillsburyDoughboy

BTW if you DON"T have one of the Spuds for your Bino's Scopes or Eyeglasses you should.

Probably one of the best and cheapest devices I have ever used in the fields. So simple and so genius I do not know why I did not think of it about a gazillion years ago and capitalize on it. Its basically a micro fiber cloth that tucks conveniently and out of the way in a neoprene case with a plastic snap that attaches to your pack or harness.

Every Binocular Strap of mine carries one of these as well as my day packs and fanny packs. No more rubbing my good optics or eye glasses on the tail of my dirty shirts.

Get two or three. You will be happy you did.

Crooked Horn is the original
http://www.amazon.com/Crooked-Horn-Outf ... ular+spuds

They can be had much cheaper though.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-Innovation ... ular+spuds

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

DntBrnDPig

I bought some Vortex a couple years ago. I broke them messing around and called them about it. It was completely my fault and I told them that - but they replaced them at no cost. I've switched my optics - scopes and binos - to Vortex. I can be rough on gear and their warranty is the best.

Mike Belt

I've been carrying my Swarovski binocs for the past 14 or 15 years. I won't leave home without them. My post here is not about what brand but rather a tip on whatever you carry. I'm rough on equipment. I sometimes travel through really thick stuff and a lot of my equipment gets tangled in the fray. From time to time I lose an eye cup or break the rubber strap holding the eye guards, etc. I make sure before the season starts I have spare parts in the truck in case this happens. It beats ordering a part as needed and having a "crippled" pair of binocs while waiting.

david k.

I bought a pair of Swarovski SLC 7x30 back in 1993 and never go hunting without them.

Since the season is almost over my advice would be to take your time. Go to Bass Pro / Cabela's / Academy, etc and look through several brands, read lots of reviews and then buy the best pair of bino's you can afford. If you buy right, you will only buy once and will never regret the $$ you'll spend on good glass.

TN1BUCK

I have owned a pair of Alaskan Guide 10x42's for the last 25 years loved them. They failed this year my fault cleaned with something I shouldn't have used. Cabela's sent me a gift card for the full price. Shopping for the new ones now, is Swarovski worth the money? Which grade or model? Like the 10x42 power to weight.Using the new red fields now not bad for the price on sale 99.00.

Latest posts