Which Binoculars??

TNCanoer

I am wanting to upgrade binoculars. I have an older pair of Nikon Trailblazer ATBs that will no longer focus like they used to. I am looking at the following:

Nikon Monarch 5

Vortex Diamondback

I looked at both this weekend. While the Nikons were a bit crisper and clearer I've been told the Nikon warranty is pretty much useless whereas if I drop and break the Vortex they will replace them no questions asked. Which one should I go with??

Thanks

LanceS4803

I've been happy with Vortex binos. Their Diamondbacks are the best value.
For the best in Vortex, their HD line rivals pretty much anyone, but you will pay for it!

JCDEERMAN

TNCanoer":12s5y8n0 said:
MickThompson":12s5y8n0 said:
What is the warranty on your current Nikons?

I'm not sure. I bought them several years ago.
May wanna try upgrading with Nikon's warranty first, unless they've already changed their policy. If they won't send you a new version of the same pair, go with Vortex - and tell them that

Andy S.

I'd definitely get RMA and send back to Nikon. I've done it several times over the years, and for the cost of shipping them to Nikon, I've received a brand new pair of binos in 10 or so business days. I've done this 4-5 times over last two decades, with same result each time.

With that said, if I were buying today, and was focused on warranty alone, I'd choose Vortex. Their warranty is hard to beat, all things considered.

tndave59

If limiting to those two go with Vortex. If not, check out Meopta Meopro binos. Call Cameraland NY, when bought mine I was looking at the two you were and called cameraland and ended up with the Meopta, glad I called them.

swd

I have an older pair of Vortex Crossfires that I really like. They have transitioned to being my truck binos since I upgraded to something a little higher end this spring. The Vortex stuff is really good. Everything else being equal, the Vortex warranty is the deal winner.

Rakkin6

I have the Vortex Diamondbacks and love them. But I have a pair of lower end Nikons that are pretty good. Have several Nikon and Vortex scopes and have no complaints about either. Where I deer hunt is shotgun only and I love the Nikon Slughunter scopes. Have one on my Benelli SBE2 and my Savage 212.

Bgoodman30

Just happened to look through Vanguards, Vortex Diamondbacks and Vortex Razor HDs this afternoon.

Honestly it was hard to tell the difference really but I give the Razor HDs the slight edge..

The Diamondbacks are definitely the best glass for the money. Been very happy with mine.

Jon54

I bought a pair of Vanguard from B&H Photo and paid just over $100 and was stunned at the quality. Vanguard has been in photography forever. These bingos have a lifetime warranty.

Frayser

tndave59":3fd836mq said:
If limiting to those two go with Vortex. If not, check out Meopta Meopro binos. Call Cameraland NY, when bought mine I was looking at the two you were and called cameraland and ended up with the Meopta, glad I called them.

+1 on the Meopta Meopros!!!

Crosshairy

I bought a pair of the Monarch 5's on sale at BPS about 5 years ago, and it's a good mid-tier set of glass. All that said, I've heard a lot of good things about Vortex as well. With Nikon moving away from rifle scopes, it makes me inclined to give my business to others.

Woodman

Had Nikon Monarch-X 10x45's that were OK and I used them for years, but they were bulky IMO & the lens covers were flimsy and broke off. Nikon would not replace them....then I looked at the Vortex Razor HD's and was really impressed. The Vortex Razor HD 10x42's were equal to the more pricey European brands that I compared them with. Bottom line I saved up and bought the Vortex Razor HD's a few years ago and have been very pleased with them. Great glass, very sturdy feeling & light weight. I recommend you check out the Vortex binos ..... great warranty and different pricing levels to fit most budgets.

Last edited:

Latest posts