Help with binoculars.

Nsghunter

I heven't had a pair since i was a kid and don't have a clue where to start.

1. Are there any binos that better with glasses?

2. How much did you pay for a decent set.

3. What's the difference in a $50 dollar set and $300

I am looking to spend around $50. If i can get a decent set.

tailchaser

I have always had cheap bushnell thought they were good enough but one time I was at Cades Cove right at dark, seen 2 big bucks but with my bushnell couldn't see them very good a guy pulled up and had a pair of leopold and it was as different as night and day could see the deer perfect.

stik

you get what you pay for in optics for the most part. Nikons(and some others) have adjustable eyecups to accommodate glasses.

deerhunter10

stik said:
you get what you pay for in optics for the most part.

x2 with optics I always say buy the best you can afford there is a huge difference between a 50 dollar pair and a 300 dollar pair. for one the 50 dollar pair for the most part is not going to be put together that well they will break much easier then a 300 dollar pair. the glass is the biggest thing. night and day difference between a cheap tasco pair or something along those lines compared to my leupold majoves. I would recommend going ahead and buy a quality pair instead of buy a cheap pair. I know for me atleast binos are very important in the way I hunt. if you go to bass pro and just compare them in the store you will see but you will really see the difference in the field right at first or last light.

Bowdacious

I have a pair of leupold Yosemite that are pretty dang clear. I don't know about the Nikon action but I'm sure they are great quality.

PillsburyDoughboy

tailchaser said:
I have always had cheap bushnell thought they were good enough but one time I was at Cades Cove right at dark, seen 2 big bucks but with my bushnell couldn't see them very good a guy pulled up and had a pair of leopold and it was as different as night and day could see the deer perfect.

This.

You get what you pay for with Binoculars.

Lots of good glass out there in the $150 range. Nothing I have found in the $99 and under range was worth $1.

mike243

Bowdacious said:
I have a pair of leupold Yosemite that are pretty dang clear. I don't know about the Nikon action but I'm sure they are great quality.
I have these on a chest harness,they are a little large for stalk hunting but for setting in a blind or tree stand they are hard to beat imo. I had a pair of Nikon 7x28 on the harness & left them out in a storm, ruined them so went bigger but not sure they suit my hunting style as well

bbuck14

Like others have said "you get what you pay for in optics." With that being said get the best pair you can afford. It's not going to do you any good to get a cheap pair only to have them replaced year after year or more. 20 yrs ago I bit the bullet and bought a pair of $650 Kahles at the time. To this day they are as clear as the day I bought them. I leave them in the truck year round even in the summer which is not recommended. But the point is they're still in great shape. I was buying the cheap pairs every year or two. After while I could had already bought a really good pair and been done with it! Good luck in your search.

TheLBLman

Bowdacious said:
I have a pair of leupold Yosemite that are pretty dang clear.
FOR THE MONEY, you probably cannot beat the quality of the Leupold Yosemite series. These are around $100.

The Yosemites are the old-style porro-prism, which usually means you get better quality relative to what you pay. Porro-prism's only disadvantage is they tend to be larger and heavier (which is not much issue with these Yosemite 6x30 or 8x30 configurations.

Personally, I prefer porros simply because they provide a greater depth of field (more stuff in focus when you're scanning). My "go-to" binoculars are a pair of 8x30 porros (different brand, but similar in size/wt to those Leupold's). But when you get up to the 50mm objectives and larger with higher magnifications, they can be too big and heavy to be practical.

Leupold Yosemite 8x30 = $99 on sale now at Cabela's
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104217480

tree_ghost

I have recently purchased the bushnell trophy 10x42 roof prism binos. These are water proof and fog proof. I paid $130 for them and they are nice optics. I liked them better than the Nikon and Leopold as far as the glass is concerned. The lens covers suck though. My wife just got the redfield rebel 8x42 roof prism binos and paid $110 for them. Great glass water proof binos and overall just built better than my bushnells. Not to mention they have a lifetime warranty. If i had to buy again I'd go with the redfields for myself.

deerhunter10

tree_ghost said:
I have recently purchased the bushnell trophy 10x42 roof prism binos. These are water proof and fog proof. I paid $130 for them and they are nice optics. I liked them better than the Nikon and Leopold as far as the glass is concerned. The lens covers suck though. My wife just got the redfield rebel 8x42 roof prism binos and paid $110 for them. Great glass water proof binos and overall just built better than my bushnells. Not to mention they have a lifetime warranty. If i had to buy again I'd go with the redfields for myself.

leupold makes redfield..

stik

tree_ghost said:

I had a pair of those bushnells and dropped them from about waist high. they were toast!!

RageBow

If I may.. I bought a $15 pair of Bushnells from Walmart. I can not peak into the farmers house 800 yards in front of me, but I can identify beards and sex of Turkeys from a long distance.

Just saying, if you want cheap and effective.

deerhunter10

RageBow said:
If I may.. I bought a $15 pair of Bushnells from Walmart. I can not peak into the farmers house 800 yards in front of me, but I can identify beards and sex of Turkeys from a long distance.

Just saying, if you want cheap and effective.

not saying what you have is not good. but with optics more then anything you get what you pay for. cheap glass compared to midrange to expensive optics there is absolutely no comparison. plus the quality of the over all binos or scope is better.

Latest posts