Big Labs Versus Small Labs

Mike Belt

What's everyone's take on dog size? When I first got into labs I wanted the 100 pound dogs but soone realized I'd rather have the 60 pounders. They didn't take up s much room or eat as much and would retrive whatever dropped. The only drawback I ever saw with the smaller dogs was with crippled geese. I've seen some dogs intimidated by a goose flogging.

rukiddin

I have never owned a lab but I've had a 90lb chessie and 2 Boykin Spaniels. I'll take the Boykins over the big dogs anyday. I love my chesapeake but the boykins were from two completely different lines an both were incredible. Some dogs have brains but lack drive, some have drive but lack brains, the boykins had both. It mainly comes down to personal preference. There are exceptions, but I've noticed sometimes the bigger the dog, the smaller the brain. lol.

I will also add, I've hunted with friends who had those little 50-60lb female labs that were calm and were about as laid back as they could be and still have a heartbeat, until it came time to work and then they were all business.

WMAn

50-60 lbs with good long legs for carrying geese. Your point about crippled geese is sound but I think it has more to do with temperament than anything else.

Mike Gould in The Labrador Shooting Dog does a better job of explaining conformation in labs than anybody else.

lockandloaded

I like a 70-75 pound male for my hardcore situations. But I have watched tons of 55-60 pound females get the job done with ease. We hunt all sizes of dogs I think it's you jut need to know what your dog is capable of. But for me if I am having I break a lot of ice or go through 10 yards of real thick buck brush I am going to have a big strong 75 pound male. I have watched several young dogs encounter geese for the first time. It is some of the funniest things I have seen. My feelings on that is I think it all comes down to the basics of training and the ability to keep pushing the dog back until it picks it up and usually the dog will pick up every goose from then out but not before a good flogging if the goose isn't dead lol. I also have seen a dog or two really not want to pick up the goose (fear?goose size?)but pick it up because they know they are supposed to. That being said I own both or did 75 pound male and a 55pound female

nate17

I think you got to decide what your needs are.

If I was going to be doing a lot of goose hunting I would probably want a 80lb male.

I needed a dog that could live in the house and put quite a few miles on, so I went with a 60lb female.

Bullfrog

I've owned both and hunt over both. A 60 pounder will tote a goose all day long, as good or as well as a hundred pounder. I don't think you run as much risk with joints on a smaller hound and they don't take up as much room, so I'd personally have to go w the smaller one. Ford vs Chevy IMO

Hawk

Mike Belt said:
What's everyone's take on dog size? When I first got into labs I wanted the 100 pound dogs but soone realized I'd rather have the 60 pounders. They didn't take up s much room or eat as much and would retrive whatever dropped. The only drawback I ever saw with the smaller dogs was with crippled geese. I've seen some dogs intimidated by a goose flogging.

One with a great nose. Size does not matter to me as long as they got a good smeller.

Kevin

Mine is 55-60, and has not had a problem yet. Ice and all. As long as the dog has the want to, and the drive, they will be great.

Latest posts