Labs

Mud Creek

Ok guys I have plenty of experience dealing with rabbit dogs but zero dealing with retrievers. What are some good signs to look for in a retriever be it bloodlines, training methods, signs that you have a good pup with potential as opposed to a dud that will be a headache to deal with? What age do you expect them to turn on and be ready for real hunting experience? Will it matter if theres not a older started dog to help show them the ropes? Don't mean to ask so many questions and I know this will sound funny to some but in the last year I've come to really respect and appreciate a good working retriever. They can be some pretty amazing dogs when trained properly it seems. Thanks in advance

BlackEagle1

You don't need another dog to show a pup if he is trained. Most of them seem to show interest in fetching from the start, or at least the ones I have seen make it do. Bloodlines are a solid base, but it's not everything if your just after a working dog. I'll have a pup starting his first season this year at 14 months.

Jon54

Buy from a well respected breeder who raises hunting dogs. We bought our pup from Sporting Life Kennels in Oxford MS because I wanted a British Lab. He is way smarter than any pet we've ever owned

CBU93

What is the absolute latest to attempt to train for hunting?

I have inherited a 10 month old yellow lab that will play fetch all day long on ground or in water...VERY high strung male with no real obedience and in need of fixing. Can this dog be worked with without paying out the nose for another trainer?

I know little if anything about training a lab although would love to have one to hunt with (hunted with a few, but not many).

tickweed

I took a 2 yr old chelsie, family pet, they moved. I took my time, from no training, to a HRCH title in 15 months. one of the best retrievers I have ever had. Had drive unequaled.

BIGB

I would find a buy a dog that has been started or finished by a pro trainer. a lot of time a pup will not make it as a trial dog and will be sold as a meat dog. if you are just wanting to hunt this will be more than enough dog for you.

flyinpro

Agree with Jon, buy from a breeder that raises hunting dogs or even also does trials. My CornFlake Maggie came from a guy who did trials primarily, but also hunted two of the 6 dogs he owned. Training was easier than I thought & she's not a champion but she gets the birds out of the grass for me.

Mike Belt

A good bloodline and a good health record from parents are a couple of things to aim for in buying a lab. That doesn't mean anything less won't make a fine hunting companion. They train fairly easy usually because they have the retrieving drive naturally instilled. One of the main things to strive for is obedience. A dog you can't control is no fun at all; not for you and not for anyone else you may be hunting with and especially if they have a dog along on the hunt as well. Be consistent in working with them. Repetition instills your desires and what the dog is and isn't allowed to do.

Latest posts