Best way to trap a coyote getting into the chickens

'borohunter

So... chicken population has been affected badly. Had 30 chickens and now down to 14. We noticed a chicken gone and then another and then a massacre one evening with a number of chickens killed and left dead. The chickens are now gated in the evenings. I have the culprit on video - a younger coyote but clearly a coyote. Is there a good way to trap a coyote that has chicken on the brain? I considered a live trap at the entrance to the run. I also have some rubber jawed leg hold traps. Best lure or set up's? Never trapped and would appreciate any suggestions or push in the right direction.

I have tried to call it in but never see during the day.

Thanks.

TnHoss

The RJ traps should do it, bed it real solid and use pieces of a dead chicken for bait. Place it near or right at the entrance and funnel him down to a narrow path leading up to the trap. May not be a bad idea to place more than 1 trap near the entrance.

TnHoss

He'll be back. Yotes have a large home range and he knows he has had easy pickens at your place. They usually come back around every 2 weeks or so but also depends on the yote.

TN Song Dog

TnHoss":3rpa9boe said:
He'll be back. Yotes have a large home range and he knows he has had easy pickens at your place. They usually come back around every 2 weeks or so but also depends on the yote.
^^This^^.... Hoss knows what he's talking about. Might have best luck trapping away from the killing area on outskirts of property. Try standard dirt hole and flat sets. Look for fence crawls or tracks showing travel routes. Also beware, chickens are curious and will inspect traps and bait. They may get caught with light pan tension.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

'borohunter

Appreciate it. Have a live trap I can set in the entrance to the chicken run and considered but have to move to let the chickens out. I do have the back of the property a couple hundred yards away I may try a set and see if they're more comfortable with coming through there. I appreciate any/all help.

TnHoss

This is just my experience but live traps and yotes are a waste of time. They are already paranoid as all get out and the chances of getting one in a live trap are about the same as winning the lottery meaning it can be done but few and far between.If you can find trails they're using then I would recommend snares especially if you can find crawl unders on a fence row.

FTG-05

Do what I did: Put a large dog run totally encompassing your chicken coop/run and then install a good guard dog, like mine a Lab/Great Prynees mix.

I've had my chicken coop door open 24/7/365 for +2 years.

Had my chicken run door open for about one year. No chickens lost from whatever. Lost one possum and two racoons inside the dog run but outside the chicken run since then. Total GOS = 0.

See the big dog inside the dog house? Yep, chicken-killer repellent.

tYk1KDo.jpg

Latest posts