Best Cellular Camera?

.300 WSM

Very good analysis, but keep in mind there is more to compare than just the up-front cost of the cam.

For me, I'm getting a better overall value with the Browning cell cams than my Reveal Tactacams.
Do you have to purchase a cell plan for each camera? Please explain that for me… much appreciated

TheLBLman

Do you have to purchase a cell plan for each camera?
Each brand (such as TactaCam or Browning) will have their own cell "plan".
You may put multiple cell cams on a single "plan", but only the same brand on any branded plan.

This is similar to your having say 3 or 4 cell phones on the same cell plan with a particular phone carrier such as Verizon.

You will typically get a better value per pic and/or per month per cam via using more cams on a single plan.

Some plans have "sweet spot" breakpoints where if you have several cams, huge discount, but try adding a single additional cam, you may pay more for that 1 extra than the last 2 or 3 added.

There are lots of plan options.
Some allow you to upload video clips, some don't.
Some allow HD uploads included in the plan; others charge you extra per HD upload.

It's every bit as complicated as trying to compare the price/value aspect of using Verizon or AT&T for your personal cell phones. In fact, with cell cams, you will typically have to choose to either use Verizon or AT&T towers, although you only pay your cell cam's proprietary cell plan (not Verizon or AT&T).

Cell cam "plans" are totally separate from anything you may be doing with your personal cell phones.

Madbowh

Tractor supply 2 for$100 year round stealth cams I've had good luck with I hunt a lot of wma and if something happen to it or stolen not a big loss. I've also been watching Richard's sporting goods the past 2 years and been picking them up and wildgames for$25a piece and was verysurprised at the quality of pictures. Mainly around holidays Richard's has them on sale. Overall these cameras do its job and no issues. I start putting them out right after 4th of July with energize batteries and don't have to change them all year. My cameras are out 6 months a year

Madbowh

Also tractor supply has a card reader usb and c port in one for 9.99 take the card from the camera and check it on my phone and put it right back. This makes checking them easier for me I have a lot of cameras

13pt

I can help some with the high end cell camera review. I'm a Reconyx fanatic and currently own 18 of them. I still even have one that used the C size batteries which is likely 15-20 years old...though they finally developed a kit to convert that older model to AA lithium. The reason I have 18 is I have 4 separate properties I hunt, and when used strategically trail cameras are a game changer. I've often said if they outlaw game cameras I'd probably have to retire from hunting...lol...but seriously 🤔 . The reason I use only Reconyx came from a couple of years of extensive side-by-side testing with most other well known models several years ago. The difference in missed pictures with the competition was just not acceptable. Why even put out a trail camera if you're going miss some activity, which could be the very buck you've been waiting to see. Their tag line, "See what you've been missing" couldn't be more accurate. Now, having said that, I realize technology has evolved considerably since my test sessions, but I'm sticking with what I know will never fail me. Ok, so now you know why I use only Reconyx and have 18 of them. Earlier this year I purchased their cell camera. Now, I absolutely do not plan to replace my non-cell cameras with cell cameras, and many have already stated my same reasons why. I have a unique need for a top end cell camera. One need is I have evidence someone has been sneaking into the back side of my trophy bass pond and fishing...probably at night. Hopefully they aren't reading this, but that camera is active right now at the backside of my pond. I can see the pond from my house, but it's wooded around two sides, so trespassers are likely coming in at night. I have it set to take only night time pictures to keep my billing usage down. Another need is we live at a dead end road, so when we leave for vacation I put the camera on the driveway. A third need comes around at deer season. I have one of the properties where I have exclusive permission that I suspect the neighbor is sneaking in on occasion to check my food plot. It's a ways off and I generally only hunt their a few days out of the season...and he knows it and lives right there. So, this year I'll be spying the likely entry point with my Reconyx cell camera. This means I'll probably be buying one more. I don't plan to use them to replace how I use trail cameras on my scrapes, trails, etc, but for the needs I just mentioned they are necessary. The things I like about the Reconyx, other than you don't miss a thing, are...1) I can turn off the cell plan for up to 6 months of the year basically making it dormant with no monthly fee...2) I can modify all camera settings from my cell phone...3) the battery life so far has been excellent with over 10,000 pictures during my testing period and no noticeable battery drain on the Energizer lithiums...4) Reconyx customer service has always been top notch over my 15+ years of experience with them. Obviously the drawback is the price tag, but like everything else, you generally get what you pay for. For what's it worth, Reconyx cameras hold their resale value incredibly well. You can buy another brand for $150 and use it for 2-3 years and be lucky to get $50 for it if you sell. The cameras I paid $450 for 5-10 years ago I can still sell for $250-$300 no problem. So, you may be paying more, but you'll retain much more value with a much better camera, so really how much difference are we talking to have the peace of mind "I'm not missing a thing"!

JCDEERMAN

Worth mentioning too, each cellular camera can be used as an ordinary trail camera if you do not want to purchase a data plan to transmit photos to the app. Food for thought.
When the Spypoints all came out and went down to $100 or slightly under that, I thought about doing just that, in the event I ever wanted to turn the service on. But first, I wanted reviews from others of how the camera worked - glad I didn't go that route. However, I have definitely kept this thought in my back pocket and will use this approach for other wallet-friendly cameras with the cellular option (Moultrie Delta types, etc....).

TheLBLman

Worth mentioning too, each cellular camera can be used as an ordinary trail camera if you do not want to purchase a data plan to transmit photos to the app. Food for thought.
Yes, this is a big deal, and maybe everyone wasn't aware.
Ongoing, I plan to use my two Tactacams as just regular trail cams, as I'm very happy with their image quality, and they're a good cam for using over salt licks.

Andy S.

I just replaced my 12 AA Energizer Lithium batteries ($16) in my Tactacam Reveal (Gen 1) yesterday evening. Here are some stats for those interested:

Deployed Monday November 2, 2020
Batteries died Sunday June 6, 2021
Duration in field: 217 days (scrapes, frigid cold February, turkeys, salt lick)
32GB card used, 22.4GB of storage used, no photos overwritten on SD card
Settings were 12MP, 3 shot burst, flash setting on high (all can be changed from the app)
10,299 pics taken, A LOT at night (more battery drain when using flash at night)
3,433 pics transmitted to my Reveal app on my phone
Average of 475 pics transmitted to app per month (assume 30 day month)
Average of 15.82 pics transmitted to app per day

If you chose to pay monthly, you can pay $8/month for 500 photo data plan. $8/month = $96/annually. If you pay for a year up front, that cost is $85 for 500 pics per month, so you save $11 over the year. Not worth it IMO if you think you will turn camera on/off throughout the year like many choose to do.

Assume 2 sets of lithium batteries at $16 a set are needed for a calendar year, and you have $32 invested.

After initial sunk cost of $125 for camera and $10 for SD card, a rough estimate to run this camera for 12 months is $96 + $32 = $128 for the year. There are some locations I hunt that I literally have to spend $25 gas to drive 120 miles to/from one time, PLUS 4-6 hours of my time are tied up in that one excursion. As I have stated before, my time is worth more than my money at this point in my life. Cellular cams definitely have a place for many outdoorsmen who are extremely busy with careers and life in general, which is a lot of us I suspect.

TheLBLman

There are some locations I hunt that I literally have to spend $25 gas to drive 120 miles to/from one time, PLUS 4-6 hours of my time are tied up in that one excursion. As I have stated before, my time is worth more than my money at this point in my life. Cellular cams definitely have a place for many outdoorsmen who are extremely busy with careers and life in general, which is a lot of us I suspect.
Excellent, Andy.

Just want to be sure I'm not overlooking something on some potential software updates. When your Tactacams are set to snap 3 pics per triggering event, how many of those do you get to see remotely? Mine will only send 1 of every 3, and that has been one of the differences making me prefer the Brownings (send all however set).

Just to be clear to those less familiar with cell cams, all 3 pics get recorded to the SD card. But if all of what is taken doesn't transmit, the benefits of utilizing the cell feature is somewhat negated.

Andy S.

All Tactacam Reveals (Gen 1 and X) only transmit ONE photo per triggering event. For me, it's the second photo in a three shot burst. All three are written to the SD card for retrieval if you see something that catches your eye.

Ahuntin1

Thanks for the great feedback. I am temtped to try out a few reconyx since I have 4 that seem to run forever, but some of the ones in the $400 range seem great too and I can buy more for the same amount.

TheLBLman

LBLMan - can you change settings where the Browning only transmits ONE of the three? Is that an option with your cameras?
Andy, I could be overlooking (since I want 100% of what's taken transmitted), but I believe it's an all or nothing with Browning. This is much less issue with Browning than with Tactacam because of the greater options.

With Browning, I commonly set the cell cam for 1 or 2 pics with much shorter duration between events, like as little as 1 second. In a matter of seconds, can get more than 3 pics, 100% transmitted. At night, I typically change the settings to take 1 or 2 in 1 minute intervals, compared to 3 or 4 pics per triggering (in daytime) with 10 second intervals.

As to those settings, time of year has much to do with what I want, as well as the location. Right now, I'm less interested in nighttime pics, and more interested in daytime (mainly for wildlife other than deer). Once the bucks' antlers are farther along, will become more interested in nighttime pics.

JCDEERMAN

Thanks for the great feedback. I am temtped to try out a few reconyx since I have 4 that seem to run forever, but some of the ones in the $400 range seem great too and I can buy more for the same amount.
My oldest Reconyx is 14 years old. Sent it back just this past year for the first time due to daytime pics being blurry (lens would fog up). Cost $55 for the repair and when I opened the box the camera was in they sent back to me, there was a really nice Reconyx hat they threw in for free. Can NOT beat that for customer service. The $400 Reconyx cams are definitely in my microscope, with Browning cams being the next contender - IMO.

I hate to keep bringing up non-cell cameras into the mix here, as the thread wasn't asking about non-cell cameras. Just thought it is a vital point of discussion for comparison to data plan costs.

wobblegobble

I own both tacacam and spypoint link micros...The tacacam is reliable but the daylight pics are very pixelated when you zoom in and the night pics look good however the red glow is TREMENDOUS! The spypoint pix are better imo....you can zoom in and tell ore detail and the night pic use only 4 tiny leds. The spypoint however are very finicky on brand of battery and SD card...Spypoint takes reading and comprehension, a lost art, in America lol. If you have tacacam reveals...try to zoom in. I think both Brands plans are the best of the cellular cameras.

TheLBLman

It's nice we're getting so many choices and competition among brands now in the cellular trail cam market.

Few of us have the time, inclination, and/or need to complete a very accurate scientifically valid comparison of the different choices, in part because some who do share their results.

Here is what Trail Cam Pro has posted regarding just a couple the before mentioned cell cams:

TactaCam Reveal
(2020 Model)
The up-front purchase price for this model has been running around $100.

If you want all their details, just click on the above link, but here is what they say about battery life:
If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, the Tactacam Reveal would last 2.7 months in the field on a set of 12 AA Lithium Batteries. This is below average for a camera that uses 12 batteries.

Browning Defender Scout Pro (2020 Model)
The up-front purchase price for this model has been running around $200.

If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, the Browning Pro Scout would last 10.5 months in the field on a set of 8 AA Lithium Batteries.

Keep in mind these two comparisons are for the 2020 models, and both these and most brands now have updated 2021 models becoming available (but there are no 3rd party comparisons yet for the latest models).

The general expectation is that all (or most) brands will improve functionality and reliability with their 2021 models and updates. There was a significant leap from 2019 to 2020 with most brands/models of cell cams.

Last edited:

Andy S.

LBLman - In regards to their quote about battery life: "If this camera were to take 15-day and 15-night pictures every 24 hours, the Tactacam Reveal would last 2.7 months in the field on a set of 12 AA Lithium Batteries. This is below average for a camera that uses 12 batteries."

Interesting enough, my battery life has been more than double what they published above for the Tactacam Reveal Gen 1 model, and more than double while taking 50% MORE photos in a 24 hour period than what they referenced (my 45 pics a day compared to their 30) as their measuring stick. Hmmmmmm...........

TheLBLman

Andy, I can say similar regarding the Brownings vs. their reports.
Part of the issue has to do with nighttime pics vs. daytime pics, as well as so many variables in cam settings.

Daytime pics use very little battery power compared to nighttime.
I believe they're just trying to provide a scientifically valid comparison,
i.e. 15 daytime + 15 nighttime pics every 24 hrs.