Beginners call

Reemus Buckshot

I would like to start working on my calling. I went into the bp yesterday and had no clue where to start. Can anyone tell menwhats a good call to start practicin with?

CBU93

Look for another thread here with the same intent started by Spit...

The best one is one of your buddies you hunt with :D

Seriously, calling is way overrated IMO...if you want to really get serious about killing ducks, you need to study more on: weather affects on the birds in your area, scouting, and decoy sets...calling just get the birds attention to come into your decoy set, IF it is in the right place and set up, positioned with the wind to your advantage, while ducks are in or coming into your area...see a theme here???

JohnnyBond

Find a call you like and can blow and practice

For me I started with a single reed mallard tone.... real to easy to call with..... Get the basics down

I now use the white eagle games calls with the metal reeds ...... made in Memphis ...... just my preference

CBU93 said it right..... Calling is a very small part but overcalling can make your day from bad to worse......

It real hard not to call at ducks that are working..... That�s one of my biggest problems too........ I prefer to have them finish in the decoys ...it does not always happen though..... Especially with late season, local, or call shy ducks

Also go watch and listen to ducks work a spot...... I learned a lot this year by doing this one day ....... unfortunately my season was a pretty much a total loss due to lack of water and ducks ...... working on that for next year also .......

Chaneylake

you must also learn to watch the "wing tips" of the ducks you are calling

many times a higher pitched call will overpower a lower pitched call

I never call softly, nor have I ever heard a hen on the water quack softly, so think about this one

JohnnyBond

Chaneylake said:
you must also learn to watch the "wing tips" of the ducks you are calling

many times a higher pitched call will overpower a lower pitched call

I never call softly, nor have I ever heard a hen on the water quack softly, so think about this one
I hunted several years with Chaneylake and learned a lot from him ..... he does know ducks ....... that is all carry on

RNT

I'd probably pick up a call made by Rich-N-Tone. Honestly, I would buy a Haydel DR-85 and keep it in your truck.

For me, I would much rather hold a call in my hand than my gun. Ain't nothin like settin down a pile of greenbeans in the decoys with a call.

Cache

2-Step Enabled
Good starter call as rnt said is the dr-85, primos wench, or buck gardner mallard magic. All easy to blow and easy to make them sound like a duck pick up a buck Gardner instructional cd to help teach tongue placement and how to blow air properly. There really is nothing like breaking a group of 20+ mallards back and watching them just fall right in you'll be hooked for life!

Latest posts