Beat a dead horse, then kick it some more....

catman529

I didn't even finish reading it. The guy is a stuck up you know what. I love my compound, and have no interest in hunting with a crossbow, but I am not against them at all, and if you want to use one, please do. It's just another type of bow, and the main thing is that it doesn't crack like a rifle or shoot 300 yards and it won't ruin archery-only season. I don't think the deer would see a difference in it so it wouldn't mess up my hunting with a compound.

Why is the guy so selfish as to not want to share the woods with crossbow hunters? Really I don't think crossbows are messing up his hunting, so it seems like he really is an elitist who thinks he is better. Hope he misses a 180 class buck with his compound this fall...

mike243

I hope he stays healthy & never has to use a crossbow in order to still bow hunt,without them alot of folks would set out bow season me included

WRbowhunter

What I hope is that maybe those that don't bowhunt will get a crossbow. Then maybe will convert to a compound. I saw a lot of crossbow hunters when they first became "legal" but not so much any more. Just don't think they are as much fun to shoot. And as far as being an elitist well maybe but what's wrong with that. You have a sport that you don't want watered down. The same can be held true for any sport. Look at Golf trying to outlaw the long putter. But at the same time I know a lot of folks that think Compounds have watered down Archery with all the speed, needing a release, magnified sights etc. Its all relative.

BSK

catman529 said:
Why is the guy so selfish as to not want to share the woods with crossbow hunters?

I've been asking the same thing about any special weapon season and have not read a solid answer yet, besides selfishness that is...

redheadshooter

I have no problems with crossbows or crossbow hunters. I don't like the fact that people get a crossbow so they don't have to practice throughout the year. So its not the crossbow, it's the laziness that I don't care for. Not saying those who shoot crossbows are lazy, but if you chose a crossbow strictly because you don't want to have to practice every now and then, maybe you should reconsider bowhunting in my opinion.

woodsman87

redheadshooter said:
I have no problems with crossbows or crossbow hunters. I don't like the fact that people get a crossbow so they don't have to practice throughout the year. So its not the crossbow, it's the laziness that I don't care for. Not saying those who shoot crossbows are lazy, but if you chose a crossbow strictly because you don't want to have to practice every now and then, maybe you should reconsider bowhunting in my opinion.

I agree with this.

Crossbows aren't for me, but do not care who or who don't use one. I will not use one unless I become physically unable to hunt with regular bows.
I am not sure about this, but for along time in Alabama you had to have handicap documentation to use crossbows during regular bow season. It may not be that way anymore, not sure.

Football Hunter

BSK said:
catman529 said:
Why is the guy so selfish as to not want to share the woods with crossbow hunters?

I've been asking the same thing about any special weapon season and have not read a solid answer yet, besides selfishness that is...
I dont care if someone uses a crossbow in bow season,I tried it,dont like em.

I bet TWRA would answer tradition as an answer to "special seasons".On another note,Im thinking you are for an all weapons season.Dont you think that would lead to more hunters in the woods,for a longer time,and to a drastic decrease in daylight buck movement?

Winchester

woodsman87 said:
redheadshooter said:

I agree with this.

Crossbows aren't for me, but do not care who or who don't use one. I will not use one unless I become physically unable to hunt with regular bows.
I am not sure about this, but for along time in Alabama you had to have handicap documentation to use crossbows during regular bow season. It may not be that way anymore, not sure.

I agree, doesnt really bother me if people choose the xbow route, but in reality I was fine with them being limited to those forced to use them for physical reasons!
Selfish is WAY off base, different seasons are and have always been, for those who choose to buy the equipment, learn how to use it, and enjoy another season. Take MZ season for instance, I currently shoot a smokeless mz because its legal and the most effective weapon allowed during that season. I wouldnt have any problem however if TN went to a PRIMITIVE only weapon allowed during MZ season. I would simply get the equipment allowed and learn how to use it. I sure wouldnt call people selfish just because they were willing to learn something new and use it to their advantage!EVERYTHING in life is NOT all about making things easy for everybody who wants to participate! Nothing wrong with hard work and trying to achieve goals that everyone isnt interested in trying to achieve. This subject reminds me of the Dumbing down of America, why would we purposely remove Bow hunting and all that comes with it because gun hunting is EASIER and EVERYBODY can do it??? Just my opinion anyway!

Hollar Hunter

redheadshooter said:

Reckon the same thing could be said for people with scopes on their rifle? Shoot them once or twice year and their on target instead of having to practice and learn iron sights...

Football Hunter

Hollar Hunter said:
redheadshooter said:

Reckon the same thing could be said for people with scopes on their rifle? Shoot them once or twice year and their on target instead of having to practice and learn iron sights...
Good point

redheadshooter

Hollar Hunter said:
redheadshooter said:

I agree. I hunt with iron sights on a couple guns and a scope on a couple. Heck Relentless on here is better with iron sights than a scope. But, I don't think deer hunting in general should be made more difficult. They are hard enough to kill as it is. Also, a scoped rifle gives you a much higher chance at a more ethical shot than iron sights. Crossbows aren't more ethical than an upright IMO.

cecil30-30

I hunted with a compound for 5 seasons,killed 6 deer with it,I enjoyed it,but man it seemed like I was constantly tuneing and tinkering with it to keep it shoot good,and then there was the constant year round practice.I don't like all the tinkering and tuneing and all the practice.I sold it and got a crossbow and haven't looked back.Yes they are bulky and loud but man its so much simpler.

I don't/never have archery hunted for the "challenge".I started archery hunting so I could have more chances at antlerless deer,(Unit B hunter),so when there is a opportunity that will allow me to kill a deer more easily and legally,Im going to switch to that route.And guess what,a crossbow sure does make it easier to kill a deer.I don't have to practice year round,I don't have to constantly tune the bow,I don't have to stand up in the stand to shoot it,and I don't have to worry about drawing it back.Ah,life is good.

cecil30-30

redheadshooter said:
Hollar Hunter said:
redheadshooter said:

I agree. I hunt with iron sights on a couple guns and a scope on a couple. Heck Relentless on here is better with iron sights than a scope. But, I don't think deer hunting in general should be made more difficult. They are hard enough to kill as it is. Also, a scoped rifle gives you a much higher chance at a more ethical shot than iron sights. Crossbows aren't more ethical than an upright IMO.
And a upright bow isn't any more ethical than a crossbow. And if you say they are,i'll call you a eliteist bowhunter! :D

bowriter

R.I.P.
Crossbows are the devil's spawn. Noone should be allowed to use one. They should be totally illegal in all circumstances and those who have them should ship them directly to me.

Let this be the final word on this ridiculous subject of who can piss the farthest, an upright member or a crossmember.

catman529

WRbowhunter said:
What I hope is that maybe those that don't bowhunt will get a crossbow. Then maybe will convert to a compound. I saw a lot of crossbow hunters when they first became "legal" but not so much any more. Just don't think they are as much fun to shoot. And as far as being an elitist well maybe but what's wrong with that. You have a sport that you don't want watered down. The same can be held true for any sport. Look at Golf trying to outlaw the long putter. But at the same time I know a lot of folks that think Compounds have watered down Archery with all the speed, needing a release, magnified sights etc. Its all relative.
it's not a sport to me at all, I'm not trying to score, compete or win, it's a passion and hobby and I enjoy every minute in the woods chasing whitetail deer and putting meat in the freezer

redheadshooter

[/quote] And a upright bow isn't any more ethical than a crossbow. And if you say they are,i'll call you a eliteist bowhunter! :D [/quote]

Never once did I say that or anything like that buddy. I think it is an even playing field when it comes to ethical or not. Close to the same fps, somewhat close in kinetic energy. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying crossbows ruin archery season nor am I saying that I think anybody is wrong by hunting with one.

And I have never once complained about somebody saying I was elite! :D hahahaha

TLRanger

maybe TN should go to only crossbow season WITH A ONE BUCK LIMIT for the whole year! :D

I do not hunt with a crossbow but I never have seen anything wrong with anybody using one if they want to in any open season.

Latest posts