Basketball annoys me

DMD

Don't get me wrong, I love basketball - but, the sport annoys me at the same time. The game is decided too much by refs (whether good calls or bad calls). My rant is not because of any particular game - just general observations. A few points:

Fouling out - Basketball is the only sport where you come to watch the best players on your team play - but the best players are REGULARLY either, benched, foul out for the rest of the game, or hampered from playing their best for fear of fouling out when they have multiple fouls on them already. This is particularly annoying because many times their fouls are ticky tack or phantom fouls and the team you come to watch can't play to their full capacity because of a phantom foul. I'd really like to see something done about this - I want to watch the BEST PLAYERS PLAYING THEIR BEST, not a team playing without their best players OR a team playing with one or two players who can't play defense because of fouls. So much of the strategy, game plan, game outcome comes down to fouls and fouling.

My second pet peeve about BB:

It's the only game (I know of) where you get an advantage by purposely and continually breaking the rules at the end of the game (i.e. fouling). And even though EVERYONE in the world knows you are purposely fouling, you are never called for an "Intentional Foul" at the end of the game, even though you are intentionally fouling players to stop the clock over and over. I know intentional fouls sometimes happen strategically in other sports - but not over and over in so many games. In football, if you "foul" at the end of the game, there is a run off of time. I know basketball has been like this forever - but, it's ridiculous that so many games end with stupid fouls and free throws imo.

Just my rant for today. Carry on.

DMD

My dad used to referee high school and college basketball. He always said as the ref you don't want to be the center of attention and influence the outcome of the game but he also said if you don't want refs to call fouls then don't foul or change the rules on what fouls are.
I agree 100%. Fouls are fouls. I just think the rules should be changed to eliminate fouling out. I'm probably the only person in the world who feels that way. I think there are other ways to enforce the rules as opposed to fouling best players out.

DMD

Sounds like "street ball" would be something you would enjoy. The only way of fouling out of "street ball" is the rival gang does a drive-by
Nah...I don't want street ball. I just think there should be another answer to fouling out. Maybe - penalty box like hockey. Or maybe if you have five fouls and foul again, opposing player gets 3 free throws. Something to discourage fouling but not take players out of the entire rest of the game. JMO.

redblood

Nah...I don't want street ball. I just think there should be another answer to fouling out. Maybe - penalty box like hockey. Or maybe if you have five fouls and foul again, opposing player gets 3 free throws. Something to discourage fouling but not take players out of the entire rest of the game. JMO.
star players usually are smarter than to foul out. that what hatchet men are for

Gravey

I agree 100%. Fouls are fouls. I just think the rules should be changed to eliminate fouling out. I'm probably the only person in the world who feels that way. I think there are other ways to enforce the rules as opposed to fouling best players out.
Get rid of the referees and like we used to say growing up playing on "dunk goals" no blood no foul. 👍 Nobody would foul out then. 🤣

Latest posts