Bang-flop at 640 yards

megalomaniac

Thought you guys might enjoy this:

I came back up to TN for a couple of days hunting and a little more doe thinning. Passed up 5 yearling bucks and some big does early in the morning, but at 9 am, a group of 6 does came out on the back hillside. Ranged 640 yards. Custom 300RUM, 28" lilja barrel built by Kirby Allen. Nightforce NXS 8-32x scope. 200 gr Accubond at 3280 fps MV. Negligible wind, 28 clicks up on the drop chart from 300 yard zero. Picked out a medium-sized doe who was feeding calmly. Squeezed the trigger, half a second later the doe collapses in a heap. A second later the sound of the bullet impact reaches me. When I got to her, found a perfect centerpunched shoulder shot. I've killed several from 400-600 yards, but this is my longest to date.

I shot from the shed with the metal roof in the center of the picture in the background
longdoe.jpg

7mm08

Impressive..
I watched a show the other day and they were taking elk out @875yards with a 7mmMag, and tricked out scope. Looked up the price of the gun and scope they were pushing and it was $9000 and a six month waiting list.

Uncle Sam teach you how to do that?

megalomaniac

LOL, Tim!

Not a shooting bench, but almost as good. I actually set up prone on the ground in front of the shed with a shooting mat, bipod, and rear beanbags. Just about have to... the rig weighs over 17 lbs!

TiminTN

I knew it wasnt a kneeling hi-power thing. I knew it was a prepared planned event.
I have made many shots off the ground and Harris bi-pod out in the plains of New Mexico.
Great steady way to get things done!
However done it takes much practice, great equipment to attempt such a feat.

Again GREAT SHOT!!!

megalomaniac

Thanks guys!

Mr. Big, the Allen Mag is MUCH bigger! Based off the .408 chey-tac case, it can fling the 300 grain 338 cal bullets around 3300 fps. No need for a 300 Allen Mag, as you just can't get 30 cal bullets with the BC's the 338's have. Personally, I just don't have the experience or confidence to shoot beyond 800 yards- and that's just what the Allen Mags are designed to do. IMO, it's hard to beat the regular 300 RUM for the ranges I shoot.

You might just be surprised how affordable one of the customs can be though... I bought the rifle lightly used with Redding competition dies (worth $200 alone) and 2 boxes of Accubonds for $1200! There are deals on custom rigs to be had for sure if you keep your eyes open. The scope I also picked up very lightly used at substantial savings. The only thing I would have done differently if I had built it myself would be substituting a McMillan A5 stock for the HS stock on it, and would have gone with a 30 inch tube.

Tikkabuck

Great shot,Kirbys a really good guy and an excellent gunsmith,seems to run in the family,now he's got his brother Kory playing with a few rifles.

Whelen Man

R.I.P.
Good deal man. I hope everyone on here realizes just what it takes to pull off this kind of shot. I know you don't take it lightly and it takes a lot of preparation. Congratulations! That's better than a buck at close range to me.