Food Plots Average plant date

NChunt1

I live in the Chattanooga valley and we planted all our plots around the second week of September last year and though they did amazing I think they matured a little early. All my cereal grains got Pretty stemmed out by the middle to end of October. I was thinking we may shift towards the last two weeks of September with all our fall plantings depending on rain of course, to try and have a young fresh growth come in good
the end of October first of November. Whats everyones thoughts on that ? And when do you guys plan of having your seeds in the soil.
Thanks

Jcalder

I'm in cookeville and it won't hurt my feelings to plant the first weekend in October. I've always tried to do Labor Day but the last 2 years have proved that's too early. 2nd weekend in October should be good as well

BSK

I prefer mine in early. September and October are normally our driest months. I want my plantings to have a good root network before any severe dry spells. I planted first two weeks of August last year and had the best plots I've ever planted, but then we got lucky with lots of rain in August. And I've never had a problem with wheat getting stemmy before spring.

Thelonegoose

I always plant the second weekend of October. It coincides with the bow season opener and the second opener for doves, so it allows for a little hunting whenever I get done planting. I have toyed around with the last weekend of September, but we will see what the weather does. I usually do 1-2 "throw and mow" fields on labor day weekend.

BSK

This is how tall my plots were by mid-September last year.

Attachments

• Buck2001g.jpg
    Buck2001g.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 63

BSK

That looks like buckwheat. I couldn't get my deer to even look at it a few years ago when I planted it
That's a cover planting of buckwheat mixed into my fall planting. The buckwheat takes browse pressure off the fall crops until the first freeze.

JCDEERMAN

Yes, fall planting. A mixture of buckwheat (20 lbs/acre), wheat, Austrian Winter Peas and Crimson Clover. Planted right about August 9.
I know yours were fall. Was wondering about NChunt1's where the deer didn't touch - whether it was summer or fall they didn't like it.

Have you seen a difference in that though? Do you see deer preferring it more in the summer versus fall or vice versa? Food sources change and so do their likings/needs. I'd imagine they would get a lot of water from eating buckwheat during the summer.

megalomaniac

This is how tall my plots were by mid-September last year.
what percent do you think of the 20lbs per acre you planted actually germinated?

Reason I ask, at that rate I'd actually be a bit worried it would actually shade out my desired fall planting.

I will probably add some buckwheat to my fall planting, but I was thinking around 5lbs per acre (but mine will be drilled).

I added 5lbs per acre buckwheat to my summer blend, and the stuff is everywhere in my plots... every single seed must have germinated.

DoubleRidge

Yes, fall planting. A mixture of buckwheat (20 lbs/acre), wheat, Austrian Winter Peas and Crimson Clover. Planted right about August 9.

Along the same lines....we planted our buckwheat May 27th and it's doing great....so in early to mid August I'm wanting to sow fall blend directly into the buckwheat....then bush hog....should I be concerned that the reseeding effect is going to shade out our fall blend? ...I'm fine with buckwheat coming back....but I'm hoping our fall blend has a chance.

BSK

I know yours were fall. Was wondering about NChunt1's where the deer didn't touch - whether it was summer or fall they didn't like it.

Have you seen a difference in that though? Do you see deer preferring it more in the summer versus fall or vice versa? Food sources change and so do their likings/needs. I'd imagine they would get a lot of water from eating buckwheat during the summer.
Absolutely a big difference. I don't know why, but the deer virtually ignored the buckwheat I mixed into my spring/summer planting (planted last week of April and first week of May). They went right for the soybeans instead. On the other hand, deer go crazy over the same buckwheat in my fall planting (usually planted in August).

BSK

what percent do you think of the 20lbs per acre you planted actually germinated?

Reason I ask, at that rate I'd actually be a bit worried it would actually shade out my desired fall planting.

I will probably add some buckwheat to my fall planting, but I was thinking around 5lbs per acre (but mine will be drilled).

I added 5lbs per acre buckwheat to my summer blend, and the stuff is everywhere in my plots... every single seed must have germinated.
Honestly, it looked like almost 100% germination, and I was a bit worried about it shading out other things, but the deer really ate it down quick once they showed up (my deer population explodes about mid-September). By early to mid October the buckwheat was almost gone.

BSK

Mega,

The crazy thing is, the recommended planting rate for buckwheat is 55 lbs/acre drilled and 75 lbs/acre broadcast. Can you imagine how thick that stand would be at that planting density!!!?

DoubleRidge

Absolutely a big difference. I don't know why, but the deer virtually ignored the buckwheat I mixed into my spring/summer planting (planted last week of April and first week of May). They went right for the soybeans instead. On the other hand, deer go crazy over the same buckwheat in my fall planting (usually planted in August).

Interesting....not so much that they went after the soybeans..no shock there.....but the comparison of buckwheat in summer planting vs fall planting.

megalomaniac

Mega,

The crazy thing is, the recommended planting rate for buckwheat is 55 lbs/acre drilled and 75 lbs/acre broadcast. Can you imagine how thick that stand would be at that planting density!!!?
At 5lbs per acre, individual plants in my best soils were already 2ft tall and nearly just as wide with multiple lateral branches coming off the main stem just 5weeks after planting. In the poorer soils, plants were mostly upright and spindly without much branching. I was really impressed with the sheer biomass produced with just 5lbs per acre... esp considering they were also planted with beans, sunflowers, sorgham, and millet to compete for nutrients

Latest posts