Are there any advantages to hunting day before, during, or day after cold spell?

lafn96

So far this morning just a doe and her fawn. Both have clean white tarsals. Been grazing for the past 15 minutes or so. Nice misty dreary morning seems like they should be moving better. If I didn't already have 2 in the freezer and didn't have a lot to do today, I would stay out until mid morning.

Something odd i noticed of my cows and the dogs yesterday. Cows were hitting minerals extremely hard and the dogs were digging and eating dirt. Maybe something to do with the weather coming.
Dogs were eating enough grass yesterday to make themselves puke; this is very rare for them. This morning; saw 4 muskrats in my pond for the first time. Hopefully both of these are indicators that deer are going to be moving/feeding a lot today.

tug

November 30 was a sunny cool (not cold) day after several days of rain that worked out for hunting for me, but I'm curious about cold spells. Any thoughts?
And, in case I forget, Merry Christmas.
They are out right this minute in front of my house. Had 5 in the food plot yesterday at noon.

The work I put in to get plots up and running is paying off now both for me, and for the hungry deer. Oats, rye, turnips, clover. Not much else for them for the next 4 months.

Henry

So far this morning just a doe and her fawn. Both have clean white tarsals. Been grazing for the past 15 minutes or so. Nice misty dreary morning seems like they should be moving better. If I didn't already have 2 in the freezer and didn't have a lot to do today, I would stay out until mid morning.

Something odd i noticed of my cows and the dogs yesterday. Cows were hitting minerals extremely hard and the dogs were digging and eating dirt. Maybe something to do with the weather coming.
I'm heading out now. The wife can't go because the Christmas guest is showing up late.

However, please don't tell my wife because I don't want her to get jealous, but I literally just brushed my teeth...to go deer hunting.

deerhunter10

Both can be good but after Is usually better. In my experience Sharp pressure changes before a storm you will usually have a good hunt. If it is gradually changing its not as good. Anytime generally you get a big temperature swing behind a front will most all the time be good. Even if it's 10 degrees at certain times of the year. This particular front is about a 40 to 45 degree difference. Imo if you have legit food sources tomorrow evening should be rocking if not may be slow. Being how cold it is actually going to get.

Henry

Thanks again for the update. 014.jpg

There's an area out on the front of our property the doe seem to run for birthing and raising fawns. We stopped seeing a mom and triplets a few weeks ago so I thought they were gone. But, they turned up in the middle of the property this evening up at one of the fields. Very glad to see them!

And very thrilled to see two turkey come out and then walk about 20 feet from the blind. I waited on the close up shot until they had gone by so they wouldn't see me move and missed the first one. In the spring we had turkey on the edge of the property that borders on another 200 acres where no one lives/hunts and then we saw some out front, where the doe had their fawns, with chicks in July. The area was hayed and that's when we stopped seeing them. Very glad to see these two today!003.jpg010.jpg

Came back to the cabin after dark and decided it might be a good idea to put straw in huge garbage bags and place them around and on the bee hive so they have a better chance of not freezing.

Enjoy the pics. Merry Christmas