Arctic Shield Boot Warmers

statelineRUT

Anybody have any experience with these things. I am thinking about trying them this year on the cold days. Yes or no on do they work as described?

Thanks.

slabhead

I'd had a pair for about 5 yrs and they do work. What I found is to wear a lightweight boot, maybe even uninsulated and once I get in my stand I put them on. They will work over heavy insulated boots too, they are just too bulky for me when I do that.

Winchester

They work great, put them on BEFORE your feet get cold!!!
That being said, we havent had any weather cold enough to need them for about 3 years now, havent had mine on in a while.

backstraps

Winchester said:
They work great, put them on BEFORE your feet get cold!!!
That being said, we havent had any weather cold enough to need them for about 3 years now, havent had mine on in a while.

Last December here, I recall hunting the second weekend and it was 3 degrees Saturday morning. I decided then I was buying some...SO I have them ready to go this winter!!
My brother-in-law has used them for years now... he has really told people how great they are

DMD

I bought some this past season. I hunted at Catoosa and it was about a mile walk - uphill- into our stands. I wore lightweight shoes in and carried my heavy, insulated boots on my treestand. I decided after that trip to buy the arctic shields and carry them instead of my boots!!!! I kicked my shoes off, dropped a couple of hand warmers in the Arctic Shields and my tootsies stayed nice and warm!!! Felt like I was sitting around the house in my slippers!

Arse

I found them to be a waste of money. My feet still got cold. I've tried everything for cold feet -- sock liners, hand warmer packets, even bought a pair of the military Mickey Boots -- after a few hours I still had cold feet.

This I have learned:

1) The number one cause of cold feet is a sock/boot combination that is TOO TIGHT! Don't wear the big thick "hunting" socks. I buy good quality (yes, expensive ) wicking wool blend socks that are relatively thin (the Cabasspro catalogs usually list the wall thickness of their socks). Then when on stand make sure that your boots are not laced too tightly -- untie them and pull them apart so that your feet are not gripped tightly. It took me years to figure this out.

2) For most people, sitting motionless for hours in freezing temperatures is going to lead to cold feet no matter what you do. All you can do is hope to minimize it so that you can still concentrate on hunting.

TNhunter

I usually wear uninsulated Danner Pronghorns all season. Once it gets cold - I'll carry my Arctic Shield boot blankets and some of those hot hands. Right before climbing into my treestand I'll loosen my shoe laces as well.

Bottom Hunter

I have a pair of boot blankets. If I hunt in an actual blind, I take my boots off, put hand warmers inside the blankets and put them on. They work great. The problem is that these boot blankets are BIG and I can't use them while hunting from a loc-on stand (what I usually hunt from). I never tried the artic shields though, but may now.

Thanks

BH