Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting?

TheLBLman

Hunter 257W said:
Regarding head shots with any cartridge, I used to agree that they would either be a kill or clean miss but I disagree now. It would be very easy to hit a jaw or nose and leave a deer with a horrible wound to slowly die. I just don't think head shots are a good idea . . . . .
I've personally seen this happen twice now, and in both cases, the shooter did not recover the deer, which in both cases died a lingering death several days after someone took an "easy" head-shot.

In the two above cases, the hunters were using larger calibers than a .223, but I'd hate to limit myself to a gun that's more limited to just certain shots to have high probability. Besides that, if I planned to do a shoulder mount on a buck, sure wouldn't want to shoot him in the head. Actually, good chance you just might hit the antlers, too.

My take on the .22 centerfires recently become legal in TN was that "the powers that be" figured it would have only a tiny effect on anything related to the deer harvest, while it ended the vocal few complaining that they couldn't use a .22 centerfire. Very few hunters have any desire to use a less effective weapon.

mathews338

-DRM- said:
mathews338 said:
IMO the percentage of deer that run off wounded to never be found is much higer with the smaller calibers.

I'd be interested in how the researcher accounted for shot placement in their data collection for that report you're quoting. That is a research report, right? ;)
do you not know what IMO stands for. even though it is only my opinion I still believe it is the truth. ;)

Vermin93

This will probably stir up further discussion -

Deer Cartridges from Bad to Good

"The point is, you don't want a minimum deer cartridge unless, due to extreme recoil sensitivity, you simply cannot handle anything better. You certainly do not want a sub-minimum deer cartridge under any circumstances! Looking at factory ammunition loading lists from Federal, Remington and Winchester, here are some examples of cartridges that I would regard as poor to inadequate for deer hunting:

All centerfire .22's, specifically including, but not limited to, the .223 Rem. and .223 WSSM. Regardless of their legality and anybody's advertising hype, these are varmint cartridges; they are NOT deer cartridges."

Barnes Ridge Rambler

I wouldn't hunt deer with a .22 cal. Like its been said earlier in this thread, why limit yourself? Why not set yourself up more for succes than failure? Granted, even with the largest calibers, its never a guaranteed kill everytime you pull the trigger. But id sure feel a lot more confident shooting that big buck with my .308 than any .22 cal ever made. And if you're just using a .22 cal on deer just to feel that youre superior to other hunters or to feel that youre "elite" and a better shot than the rest of us, please dont kid yourself. Too many variables to hunting a mature whitetail. And i dont plan on adding another one by limiting myself.

mike243

I would hazard a guess that 10x or more deer are lost with bows than guns every year.where's the ethical calibur with them? :)

-DRM-

mike243 said:
I would hazard a guess that 10x or more deer are lost with bows than guns every year.where's the ethical calibur with them? :)

I've lost one with a bow, and one with my 300BLK. I recovered every deer I have ever shot with a .223

mike243

Lack of Ability & Judgement get renamed as unethical ,Knowing the gun ,bow or your own ability is the hunters responsibility,sometimes we forget the limits & loose a animal & other times its a hunting thing & cant be helped.If a pattern develops of loosing game changing bows broadheads or guns wont do anything other than cost you $.Correcting problems on big game hunts are hard to do as most hunt alone with no 1 there to critique or mentor them .

GOODWIN

Shot a buck a few years ago with one and will never do it again. He was slightly quartering away and the bullet (I believe it was a 70gr Win power point) hit rib and then just tunneled under the skin all the way to in front of the shoulder. My dad shot this buck a week later and my bullet was recovered. I believe a bigger caliber would have punched on through to vitals with ease. Why do so many marines, seals, rangers, etc. say they would prefer a larger round than the 5.56? Yes they may be shooting fmj rounds but more than one shot is often needed.

On a side note...I don't believe any shot that you can take is a "hit or miss". Their is margin for error and potential for injuring a deer anywhere you take aim.

feldmutze

I started the thread just off of curiosity since the caliber is now legal and I note there are pretty good rounds made for hunting, 78 gr, Rem Corelock or Nosler Partition.

I've used a .270 for about 25 years now, before that it was a 30-06. I love the .270 for whitetail, probably if I had to do it all over again I might go .243 with the standard 100 gr.

Where I hunt in Loudon it's overrun with yotes & I take 1 or 2 per year with the .270. Often a pair of area beagles will run one by at 150/200 yards. I've got a sweet Colt AR w/Trijicon ACOG scope that would be the ticket for those situations so was just wanting opinions for those that had used it on whitetails. I've always thought 100 grain bullets would be about the minimum I'd want for whitetails....

-DRM-

mike243 said:
Lack of Ability & Judgement get renamed as unethical ,Knowing the gun ,bow or your own ability is the hunters responsibility,sometimes we forget the limits & loose a animal & other times its a hunting thing & cant be helped.If a pattern develops of loosing game changing bows broadheads or guns wont do anything other than cost you $.Correcting problems on big game hunts are hard to do as most hunt alone with no 1 there to critique or mentor them .

Good point - this year I am trying to spend more time shooting with other people who have more experience, and using them for feedback to help me do a better job.

I know my personal limits, I know when I have a good shot and a bad shot, and yes - I have let hundreds of deer walk for one reason or another, and it won't hurt my feelings if I have to let the "big one" walk when a good shot simply isn't there.

And having a different gun in my hand does not change that one bit.

Deer Assassin

Hunter 257W said:
If so, they should be ashamed. :) I'm partly joking - partly serious. I love 22 centerfires as groundhog shooting was my main hunting interest for years and still would be if we still had groundhogs. But that's what the 22 centerfires excel at and should be limited to. Shooting a deer with such a cartridge is pushing the limits too far. You have to use the very best controlled expansion bullets and limit shots to broadside only and even then you barely have enough of everything to make a clean kill. In other words you have a rifle that should only be used by the most experienced hunters who are very good shots. But most of these guns are going to be used by inexperienced shooters because they are easier to shoot because of their light recoil.

I know they are legal in TN but I think it was an irresponsible decision that our lawmakers made when they took away the 24 caliber minimum for deer.
heck they kill as good as any 243

ive seen deer killed with 204 ruger and 35 grain bergers

shot placement people loose deer with 300 rum and 7 mags

Columbia Scott

I have a .223 for home defense and the back of the patrol car. It is a proven 1 shot manstopper. I've seen it work personally. I guess I could shoot a deer with it but I'd prefer my 30.06 because at 250 yards the .223 gets sort of unpredictable out of my m4. Good for a combat and varmint rifle. Not so much when it comes to deer.

Hunter 257W

OK, to make my point regarding 22 centerfire�s for deer we have to look at who is going to be using them. The way I see it, we have two totally different types of hunters here. In my opinion, the larger group consists mostly of beginning shooters who are afraid of recoil. They mostly go to 243�s but some use 22�s � mostly 223�s as a cure for flinching. Neither cartridge has an excess of power and both require shot placement to make up for it. Yet, these beginning hunters are rarely good shots nor do they have enough experience to know when to pass up a bad shot under pressure. See the conflict there? Minimal cartridges requiring perfect shot placement in the hands of the poorest shots in the woods. A 22 centerfire is simply a bad fit for this type hunter. Yes, it is better for a beginner to choose a light recoiling cartridge that they can learn to shoot well rather than trying to compensate for poor marksmanship with a magnum. BUT, you don�t need to go to either extreme. Moderation is the more reasonable path here - there are a lot of great deer cartridges such as the 6.5x55, 260Rem, 7x57, 7mm-08, 30-30, 7.62x39 and so on. There are others in this general category that will give much more predictable/consistent terminal performance than a 22 centerfire.
Regarding dealing with recoil and learning to shoot, the best thing a beginning hunter can do is get a 22 rimfire and practice a lot shooting offhand rather than always using sandbags. A steel gong target gives instant feedback when you score a hit and keeps it interesting for kids or somebody new to shooting.
Personally, I am NOT a fan of the 24's either as I have a 6mm Remington that I have never taken deer hunting. It's just too small for me but step up to the 6.5mm's and small 7mm's and you have some great cartridges for beginners. Obviously, I like the 25�s as my �Handle� indicates but even with them, I stay clear of the light for caliber bullets to avoid grenading a bullet with close shots. As with any caliber though as you go to the slower 25�s (250 Savage, 257 Roberts) the need for controlled expansion bullets goes down.
All right, I've talked about beginning hunters - now what about experienced hunters who use 22 centerfires. I am very aware of the "struck by lightning" kills these guns can give. I've shot a lot of groundhogs with the 22-250, 220 Swift and 22CHeetah. A few coyotes too. A 50gr Sierra Blitz out of the CHeetah at 4080fps explodes inside a groundhog and they never even know what hit them. I practically never got an exit hole with these guns on groundhogs. I'm sure it would do the same thing to a deer but what happens when there is a twig between you and the deer that you don't see? What about if that twig is just a few inches from the deer? You get a spray of shrapnel blowing into the deer's side that leaves a horrible surface wound but doesn't penetrate. I know there are hunting bullets made for 22's now that are controlled expansion and that the 223 is not pushing as high velocity as the cartridges I named above which lessens the chance of bullet blow up but the fact remains that these tiny bullets are not nearly as reliable to penetrate straight and deep as a larger bullet. Even for an experienced hunter and shooter, I just can�t see risking a badly wounded deer using a groundhog gun to deer hunt.

redblood

Hunter 257W said:
If so, they should be ashamed. :) I'm partly joking - partly serious. I love 22 centerfires as groundhog shooting was my main hunting interest for years and still would be if we still had groundhogs. But that's what the 22 centerfires excel at and should be limited to. Shooting a deer with such a cartridge is pushing the limits too far. You have to use the very best controlled expansion bullets and limit shots to broadside only and even then you barely have enough of everything to make a clean kill. In other words you have a rifle that should only be used by the most experienced hunters who are very good shots. But most of these guns are going to be used by inexperienced shooters because they are easier to shoot because of their light recoil.

I know they are legal in TN but I think it was an irresponsible decision that our lawmakers made when they took away the 24 caliber minimum for deer.

i agree, but they did predator hunters a favor by allow coyote rounds (22 centerfires) to be carried on predator hunts that occur during deer season. it is legal, but people should use their own judgement. kind like cigarettes, i hate them but i believe in freedom and personal choice.

Hunter 257W

redblood said:
Hunter 257W said:

i agree, but they did predator hunters a favor by allow coyote rounds (22 centerfires) to be carried on predator hunts that occur during deer season. it is legal, but people should use their own judgement. kind like cigarettes, i hate them but i believe in freedom and personal choice.

Yeah, I always did find it a bit frustrating when you couldn't take a 22 centerfire to the field during deer season even when not deer hunting. I'm sure the law was written like that to make it easier to enforce against people who were claiming to predator hunt while they were actually deer hunting - likely with no Big Game license - but it wasn't fair to the actual predator hunters who wanted to use a 22 centerfire.

Super8

It's not my first choice, but as mentioned prior in the thread (it will do the job) if you are good enough.

tickweed

Had a friend kill one this year in west Tn, 180lbs dressed, 180 inch non typ. A brute of a deer. He doesnt usually hunt deer with it, but had a guest come in, and he loaned his regular rifle. He had a good broadside shot, eighty yds, and put it in his lungs. He did shoot him twice. He said each shot the deer just flinched, the slowly went down. No doubt the 223 will do it, but seems a little small for me.

Latest posts