Anyone using .223 / 5.56 cal for deer hunting?

Hunter 257W

If so, they should be ashamed. :) I'm partly joking - partly serious. I love 22 centerfires as groundhog shooting was my main hunting interest for years and still would be if we still had groundhogs. But that's what the 22 centerfires excel at and should be limited to. Shooting a deer with such a cartridge is pushing the limits too far. You have to use the very best controlled expansion bullets and limit shots to broadside only and even then you barely have enough of everything to make a clean kill. In other words you have a rifle that should only be used by the most experienced hunters who are very good shots. But most of these guns are going to be used by inexperienced shooters because they are easier to shoot because of their light recoil.

I know they are legal in TN but I think it was an irresponsible decision that our lawmakers made when they took away the 24 caliber minimum for deer.

pressfit

I have killed several with a 223.. so have my kids.. its like every other caliber.... shot placement is the key to any humane kill...

Redfred16

I tried but wasn't offered the shot in WI. I was hunting in a cedar swamp, long shot was 50 yards and I figure that round would do more damage than a broadhead.

I know several people that have used them in Texas.

mathews338

No way! Yes it will kill and I'm sure lots have been but it is too small and everything would have to be perfect. I guess most people think my .338 is overkill but I hunt hard to only have a few encounters with mature bucks each year and I want to put the odds in my favor as much as I can.

-DRM-

.223 has killed plenty of deer. If you aren't comfortable and competent with your shot, you could always over-compensate with a larger caliber.

mathews338

-DRM- said:
.223 has killed plenty of deer. If you aren't comfortable and competent with your shot, you could always over-compensate with a larger caliber.
yep and you can you sit in your treestand and watch the biggest buck of your life just walk off because it didn't offer the perfect shot angle!

BlountArrow

mathews338 said:
...watch the biggest buck of your life just walk off because it didn't offer the perfect shot angle!

Personally, if shot angle is a factor then I won't shoot any deer regardless of what caliber I might be toting. That's just me. I've never shot a deer with a .223 but have a friend whose young son and daughter shoot one. They have killed deer with it, and so far have had no issue.

Bayou Buck

I shot a small deer this year with my AR. Aimed for neck and dropped it in its tracts. I've also killed 200+ lb hogs with my .22 mag. Its all about shot placement. As with all calibers, you shouldn't shoot if you dont have a good kill shot.

BlountArrow

Bayou Buck said:
...you shouldn't shoot if you dont have a good kill shot.

A very basic principle that should be in the top 3 when it comes to the "rules afield", yet I hear about or see people veering away from this all the time. Personally, respect for the animal and respect for my responsibility to kill an animal in the most humane way possible excludes me from doing anything different.

Hunter 257W

Yes a 223 can kill a deer. When the 220 Swift 1st came out people were shooting Elk, Moose and even Grizzlies. Sure you'll have some success. A 22 short is a puny little cartridge but you wouldn't shoot your favorite dog with it because there's a good chance the dog will die but that hardly means it's the best cartridge for the job. I'm not one of those guys that thinks you need a 300 Magnum either. Heck, I think a large 30 caliber for deer is a waste unless you just want one but on the other end of the spectrum the 22 centerfires are just too small. If you are looking for something with minimal recoil the 24's or reduced loads in something like the 7mm-08 or 260 Remington are a lot more responsible than a 22.

Hunter 257W

Regarding head shots with any cartridge, I used to agree that they would either be a kill or clean miss but I disagree now. It would be very easy to hit a jaw or nose and leave a deer with a horrible wound to slowly die. I just don't think head shots are a good idea unless the deer is really close and you KNOw you can make it and how do you ever know 100%. A behind the shoulder has a lot more margin for error if you wobble or the deer moves just as you pull the trigger.

Redfred16

If you plan on using a .223/5.56 on deer, please don't use standard ball ammo. There are manufacturers out there that make hunting rounds in this caliber, designed to do more damage and help kill large game.

A .223/5.56 can drop a human, a hog or a deer, but ball ammo is not made to kill quickly.

mathews338

BlountArrow said:
mathews338 said:
...watch the biggest buck of your life just walk off because it didn't offer the perfect shot angle!

Personally, if shot angle is a factor then I won't shoot any deer regardless of what caliber I might be toting. That's just me. I've never shot a deer with a .223 but have a friend whose young son and daughter shoot one. They have killed deer with it, and so far have had no issue.
don't get me wrong, I don't just throw the gun to my shoulder, find hair in the scope and pull the trigger. I have as much respect for game as anyone and I am as ethical as anyone. but stuff happens regardless of how good a shot you are. bullet placement is key but anyone who has hunted knows that you are not always gonna put it exactly where it needs to be. IMO the percentage of deer that run off wounded to never be found is much higer with the smaller calibers. people can say i'm over compensating for something all they want but I ain't lost one yet and my .338 has killed near 50. again, this is just my opinion so shoot what you want.

feldmutze

If you plan on using a .223/5.56 on deer, please don't use standard ball ammo. There are manufacturers out there that make hunting rounds in this caliber, designed to do more damage and help kill large game.

A .223/5.56 can drop a human, a hog or a deer, but ball ammo is not made to kill quickly.

Ball ammo is not legal per the hunting regulations

Redfred16

feldmutze said:

Ball ammo is not legal per the hunting regulations

Even better but I just hate for people to buy M885 and think its okay.

-DRM-

mathews338 said:
IMO the percentage of deer that run off wounded to never be found is much higer with the smaller calibers.

I'd be interested in how the researcher accounted for shot placement in their data collection for that report you're quoting. That is a research report, right? ;)