anyone have a good hush puppy recipe

cdw338

Go to the food network and bring up Pauls Deans best dishes for the 5th of July today she has a recipe on their today. It sounded pretty good.

Camp

When I batter fry fish I usually mix 4-5 parts corn meal and 1 part flour. Add salt, pepper, a little cayenne and a touch of garlic to taste, maybe a little lemon pepper as well. Mix it up and add buttermilk to make a consistency that's liquid enough to dip fish in and drop them in to fry.

After frying the fish, I take what's left of that and add some diced up onions (fresh green onions, greens and all are the best), a touch of sugar and more cornmeal/flour same 5/1 until it's thick almost like wet "sticky" biscuit dough. Powder your hands with flour and get scoop of batter about the size of a golfball or slightly smaller and roll it into a ball in your hands. Drop it into the hot grease and brown it up.

Sorry I don't have any "measurement" of amounts other than 4-5 cornmeal to 1 part flour. I just mix it by "feel" from over the years. :grin:

ferg

This was a secret - however my oldest and dearest friend 'Larry' passed a couple of years ago and I don't think he'd mind if I shared this with you and others - in fact - the 'Hushpuppy King' as he was known would be proud that HIS formula was alive and living to this day, even if he is not - so without any further - here is his take on the 'hushpuppy':

Larry�s Secret Hushpuppy Recipe

3 cups white corn meal
� cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 large onion chopped fine
I can �Mexi Corn� Whole kernel Mexicorn has red peppers
Canned evaporated milk

Combine all dry ingredients, then add corn and onions.
Mix well by hand.
Add canned evaporated milk until a stiff , mud like batter is produced..
Drop by teaspoon full (dip spoon into water between drops) into hot oil (about 300 degrees).
Hushpuppies should sink to the bottom and as moisture escapes they should float to the surface.
When golden brown some will turn by themselves..
Sometimes you must �Nudge� to roll them over.
Pay attention to them cause they sometimes get done rapidly..
Remove from cooker and drain on paper towels.

SERVE AND ENJOY

Larry Herring
<*())))))><

ferg....
RIP Larry -

BIGB

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup flour
one onion
three jalapenos
1 cup of chedder cheese
half a can whole kernel corn drained
a cup plus of butter milk adjust for consistancy
oil at 350 F

Boone 58

I can tell you someting that makes them special and dont knock it until you have tried it!
Dip your hush puppies in "honey butter"......you wont be able to Quit eating them! The salty greasy oniony flavor of the hushpuppy and the sweet flavor of the honey butter was made for each other!!!
Cant for the life of me figure out why i never thought of it before! Got this idea from a really great catfish place in Georgia on my way to savannah a couple of years back and it is WONDERFUL!!!

JimFromTN

Camp said:
When I batter fry fish I usually mix 4-5 parts corn meal and 1 part flour. Add salt, pepper, a little cayenne and a touch of garlic to taste, maybe a little lemon pepper as well. Mix it up and add buttermilk to make a consistency that's liquid enough to dip fish in and drop them in to fry.

After frying the fish, I take what's left of that and add some diced up onions (fresh green onions, greens and all are the best), a touch of sugar and more cornmeal/flour same 5/1 until it's thick almost like wet "sticky" biscuit dough. Powder your hands with flour and get scoop of batter about the size of a golfball or slightly smaller and roll it into a ball in your hands. Drop it into the hot grease and brown it up.

Sorry I don't have any "measurement" of amounts other than 4-5 cornmeal to 1 part flour. I just mix it by "feel" from over the years. :grin:

I have always had a theory that this is how hush puppies got started.

Latest posts