Grandslam11

Try this one:
6 squash, chopped
2 large bell peppers, chopped
4 medium onions, chopped
2 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
1/4 c canning salt
3 c sugar
2 tsp celery seed (I also use 1 tsp. mustard seed)

Recipe calls for all veggies to be chopped, or you can use a food process, depending on your texture preference.
Put chopped veggies in a large bowl and add salt. Cover with ice and let set for one hour. Drain Well. Add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes. Put in hot jars. Makes 5 pints.

I would recommend giving the jars a hot bath to ensure a good seal after canning. We made these the other night and they turned out great. We even substituted half the squash with zucchini and we like it even better. Hope you guys enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions.

WTM

ok, i found a recipe for zuchinni relish in my ball recipe book, it was almost like yours(i didnt see the reply until today and the only difference is you used 2 more onions than i did). and i think it is the same recipe that my grandmother used to use. so i just substituted the yellow squash for the zuchinni. but here is the deal, it called for 4 cups(about 6). well it was supposed to make about 4 pints when packed in jars but it only made 2. this was a double recipe like yours, so i imagine after looking at it and wondering what happened, i believe the yellow squash cooks down more than zuchinni and about twice the number of yellow squash are needed. i used 6 in squash(i dont like them any bigger because of the seeds and this size was recommended). i ended up with about an extra batch of syrup when said and done but it looks good. and also yes, you need to cook off at a slow boil simmer in a boiling water canner or pot (with water level covering the lids and bands) to ensure a good seal.

image_zpscp8nd2jf.jpeg
[/URL]

Latest posts