Antlers still on

BSK

3/15/23: I saw four bucks yesterday and all had racks. 2 were 8s, 1 was 6, and the last was a fork. When do they fall off?
If your deer herd is very healthy, and bucks not overly stressed by the rut, you should see antlers shedding from late February into early April.

Ski

Bucks around here still holding. They always do. It's almost like they hold until new nubs push the old antlers off. Seems the biggest drop first and little guys hold on all winter. There's usually a few week to month long lapse between when I see the last antler shed and velvet nubs big enough to notice.

On my Ohio place the bigger bucks are usually all shed by February. Some begin in January. Young/small ones last until spring.

Mackey

I took this picture Sunday evening in Shelby Farms through my spotting scope. Deer was about 800 yards away. There were 2 more bucks. All about the same size. Still holding on to those horns!
mackey

Attachments

• 265271CE-715F-4F8B-AECC-FFDAA6406C26.jpeg
    265271CE-715F-4F8B-AECC-FFDAA6406C26.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 154

mike243

seen 12 in a flock yesterday in Ky and didn't see any horns, may have been all doe but were full grown big deer

BSK

Bucks around here still holding. They always do. It's almost like they hold until new nubs push the old antlers off.
For some bucks, that is exactly what happens. Growth of the new set pops the old set off from underneath.

In past years, I've seen many bucks in my area still carry at turkey opener. This year, they were all bare by January 10. Dang drought...

BSK

On my Ohio place the bigger bucks are usually all shed by February. Some begin in January. Young/small ones last until spring.
The farther north you go, the more early antler drop timing is genetically ingrained. It is actually a good survival mechanism to NOT be carrying antlers in areas that experience deep snow during winter.

rem270

I've seen 3 still carrying behind the house and my biggest I had all year has shed one side as of last week. Had a small buck chasing a doe back here last week as well.

tree_ghost

I have put in just under 20 miles as of this afternoon. Typically by this time I have at least a handful of good ones picked up by now but I'm finding no sign of bucks in my historical spots…not sure why

Latest posts