Anti-Reverse doesn't work in cold weather

Model70Man

The last 3 trips I have taken to the Clinch River have been when the temps have been below freezing in the 24 to 27 degree range. I have taken 3 different friends with me on those trips and all of our spinning reels had the anti-reverse go out on them. Even on some high dollar reels the anti-reverse went out. As the temps got up in to the 40's the anti-reverse started working again on all of the reels. It really sucks when it goes out, especially when fighting a fish and it goes out when you try land the fish in a net on your own. Your spinning reel looks like a baitcaster with a bird nest and the fish is gone.

Do you guys have the same issues when the temps are that low with the anti-reverse going out? I have Daiwa reels and the other reels were Pfleuger and Shimano. The Shimano is a Stradic and we were surprised to see it fail.

easy45

Yea, my wife had a Abu Garcia Black Max that was doing the same thing, I sold it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

I got an old well worn Shinano that often slips. I've had the birds nests too. Not related to cold weather though. I once took apart the reel and cleaned and greased. This fixed the problem for a while but it started to lose anti-reverse again.

A couple years ago I set the hook on a 15+ lb grass carp and the reel spun and made a nest. Somehow I got the fish in by pulling the line by hand through the rod. Was a small pond though.

Sent from the talk of tap

paincave_2000

That's strange, I've got several Shimano Stradics and Sedonas and have used them in temperatures from the teens up and have never experienced that.

fishboy1

You will need to clean and regrease the reel with something that doesn't thicken at those temps.
The anti reverse has a light spring and thick grease will allow the pawl to stick "open" .

I don't know what brand to recommend but you should be able to find something online.

SilverFox

I only use abu reels but have never had that happen. I use Ardent Reel Butter lubes. I fish a lot this time of year... have ice in your guides.

One of Josh's bait casters did that Saturday but I don't know if the cold was the problem.

Latest posts