Another Gets away!! The RUT was ON this morning!!

TRIGGER

That deer is dead. And not too far either I would bet he is directly down hill of where you stopped. I agree with others I do not believe you should have taken the second shot. And the first sounds questionable. Hope you learned from this and I hope you find him.

Savage

Im guessing that you hit this deer either far back or high. That blood isnt BRIGHT pink/red, , but looks like he's bleeding out both sides. Im guessing liver or thru the tenderloin. He was hit hard, ran 5 yds and stopped. that deer is DEAD.

Marlin308

Shooting a deer with a bow in low light is challenging to say the least. If there is any chance you felt you hit the animal, it deserves a quick climb down and ground check for blood, etc. No excuse for shooting at another one before ground checking the first shot, unless you are certain you missed.

Now, go find your deer and learn a lesson from this to become a better hunter.

TNDeerGuy

bowriter said:
I don't agree it is a dead deer but I sure agree neither shot should have ever been taken.

X2, muscle hits will bleed just like this, and worse, and then just stop. I would do a grid search-type pattern and look for up turned leaves for the direction he went and yes, the 2nd shot shouldn't have been taken�live and learn from your mistakes.

encore06

RiverBuck10 said:
B He walks behind me pushing the doe, I get turned in my stand, buck is now at 30 yrds, still hard to see because of light!! I'm bow hunting and I try my best to find him in my sights and,,,,, I let it fly!! Couldn't see my shot and watch the deer jump and run about 15 yrds and stop by now I can't see him because of light!
From your description, it APPEARS as though you shot while it was too dark to make an ethical shot. Notice the word "appears." If you cant see the back after he runs 15 yards, then I have to assume the low light visibility made seeing your pins and the target very difficult. I hope you recover the buck, but I also hope he survived a bad hit.

Radar

Marlin308 said:
Shooting a deer with a bow in low light is challenging to say the least. If there is any chance you felt you hit the animal, it deserves a quick climb down and ground check for blood, etc. No excuse for shooting at another one before ground checking the first shot, unless you are certain you missed.

Now, go find your deer and learn a lesson from this to become a better hunter.

Ditto !