Alvin C. York Memorial Shoot - Pall Mall, Tenn - March 27th, 2021

Wobblyshot1

Everyone who registers gets a package of burger. Beef and pork for those who place high enough. The best X center in each Match usually gets a country ham.

Wobblyshot1

IMG_20190323_182225.jpg

Rancocas

Great time to be had by all, both participants and bystanders. IMO The "Valley of the Three Forks of the Wolf" is a beautiful place. Alvin York's home is open for visitors, and often the tour guides are members of the York family. Across the street from his home is Alvin's grist mill. Sometimes it is open for self-tours. Sometimes not, but you can always walk around the little park. There is camping on site, but the only facilities are port-a-potties.
There are usually on average about 200 competitors, sometime more, sometimes less, who shoot in two relays.
I attended the annual York shoot since its 2nd year up until a couple of years ago. My eyesight went downhill so I don't compete any more. I never did much good at the York shoot anyway. Can't explain it since I shot quite well here on my home range. I blame it on wind and cloud shadows that seem to constantly be passing over that field. ():~) I still got my one pound of hamburger every year, just like all the other losers. I can still see well enough for hunting purposes.
I have a 16 pound "chunkgun" that a friend and fellow competitor built for me some years ago. However, you can use any traditional style muzzleloader with open, iron sights, percussion or flintlock, and a patched round ball. No in-lines! Any caliber is allowed, but the heavier balls seem to do better for bucking the wind across that 60 yards of open range. All the firing is done from the prone position, using a "chunk" for a rifle rest.
Competitors are supposed to wear clothing styles from the 1920's or 1930's. Most just wear bib overalls and a wide tie, but some really get into the act and go full bore with the retro look. The costume is not a strict requirement to compete, but it does add to the fun.
I won't shoot this year, but I am thinking of driving up there for the day just to watch.

Rancocas

Has to be a patched ball?
Yes, patched round ball only. And, real black powder only. No Pirodex, 777 or anything like that.
People come from all over for this particular match; Florida, Arkansas, New York, Maine, even Canada.
This type of muzzleloader shooting match is called an "over-the-log" shoot or a "chunkgun" shooting match. Such matches are more common further north up in the Midwest states. The York Shoot is one of the few that is held in the south.
There is a website that explains all about it, if you care to look it up.

Wobblyshot1

A few more tidbits....The shoot is held on the same spot that the shooting match scene in the movie "Sergeant York" with Gary Cooper playing the part of Alvin. IMO it's a great movie and worth the view. My wife bought for herself a copy at the York Store in downtown Pall Mall. Alvin's sons were there at the time and autographed it for her....tickled her to death.

If any of you all happen to show up, look for me. I'll be the guy in bib shoulder britches and wearing a brown fedora.

Antler Daddy

I looked at pics and read the rules. It looks like fun and people take it serious...I was hoping there was act7ally a big log that a person shot behind.

Maybe I will rub the rust out of the a .54 Lyman Trade rifle and try it sometime.

Rancocas

Well...rain and more rain along with lightning and hail. It was finally called around 11. Since the meat prizes are already bought it was decided to draw competitor numbers for them. I got lucky and was drawn for a big pack of steaks.
I had considered driving up there for the day just to watch, but decided against it because of the weather.
The York Shoot has a history of bad weather. Some years we froze our butts off. Other times monsoon rains swept through the valley. I remember a lot of trucks and campers getting stuck in the field. A tractor was brought in to tow vehicles out. But, then again, some of those shoots had beautiful weather.
Oh well. Maybe next year. The York Shoot is always held on the last Saturday of March.

Latest posts