Made a little Memorial Day (weekend) smoke…

Smo

Fun weekend camping with Great Friends!

Lots of laughs, lots of good food and a lot of smoke & fire!

93F91445-20C6-40D6-BEA4-D807DB645C4E.jpeg
E365069E-2BD4-4FF6-923B-880DF9DD8F59.jpeg
5DC3D214-8083-4E1D-A359-D1C9C78BE6DF.jpeg
8FB1A559-8A4E-46F5-8AC4-56E7E05FA445.jpeg
C5BF2875-85AE-45FE-8DC2-C5FBE9E0A2C0.jpeg
3AD055C2-BABC-4D37-BDF5-7E46EAD211FB.jpeg
BFC1952C-5616-474D-AA92-A5D1556FD10C.jpeg
D380B366-87BB-42A3-8151-0F7C2B3ABEDB.jpeg
3DE13087-E2C7-4164-98F1-7C2342B03D91.jpeg
3665E855-D88A-4B6D-ACB3-55F5EA938596.jpeg

Rancocas

Good times.
I like to get a close look at the various bags, horns and other paraphernalia.
I do have all that stuff myself. Dang! I wish I knew of a similar group within 50 miles of me.
However, as an old handgun instructor, I can tell you that most of those guys are not practiced pistol shooters.
Glad to see a couple of lefties in the group. WE comprise about 10% of the general population.
😁
And, that brings up a question. Have any of you ever seen any documentation about original left-handed firearms of the flintlock era? I have not.
My Dad was born a Czech. Naturally left-handed as a child he was forced to use his right hand in the accepted European manner. Thus, he became ambidextrous.

Rancocas

Thanks. I had not seen that. I had been told that a left-handed fusil had been found, but no source was provided for me.
Those pistol shooters display poor form. Their stance is wrong. A heavy recoiling handgun would stagger them. Try standing like them, feet side by side, and fire a modern .44 or even a .357. You would stagger backwards. The guy in the green checkered hunting shirt has the stance about right. Curious, though, as he seems to be firing the handgun right-handed where-as in another photo he is shooting a rifle left-handed. But, of course as a police handgun and shotgun instructor I taught my people to use either hand.

Flintlocksforme

Thanks. I had not seen that. I had been told that a left-handed fusil had been found, but no source was provided for me.
Those pistol shooters display poor form. Their stance is wrong. A heavy recoiling handgun would stagger them. Try standing like them, feet side by side, and fire a modern .44 or even a .357. You would stagger backwards. The guy in the green checkered hunting shirt has the stance about right. Curious, though, as he seems to be firing the handgun right-handed where-as in another photo he is shooting a rifle left-handed. But, of course as a police handgun and shotgun instructor I taught my people to use either hand.
The fellow in green check shirt does a lot of pistol shooting. Years ago before his eyes got old he regularly won matches with a flintlock pistol at the NMLRA shoot in Friendship, IN. From the media portrayals of recent events I would not say law enforcement are very well trained at marksmanship. Most flintlock shooters try to get it done in one shot.

utvolsfan77

Fun weekend camping with Great Friends!

Lots of laughs, lots of good food and a lot of smoke & fire!
Looks like fun. Which of these fine gentlemen could "edumacate" me a bit on muzzleloading shotguns? Basically, I know what I'm going to need to buy, but just don't know where to find the stuff at. I picked up a percussion side-by-side earlier this year at an auction in Knoxville and want to get everything set and a load developed before 2023 spring turkey season begins.

Last edited:

Wobblyshot1

Looks like fun. Which of these fine gentlemen could "edumacate" me a bit of muzzleloading shotguns? Basically, I know what I'm going to need to buy, but just don't know where to find the stuff at. I picked up a percussion side-by-side earlier this year at an auction in Knoxville and want to get everything set and a load developed before 2023 spring turkey season begins.
What did you buy? Was it an old original or of modern manufacture...any choke? If it's old verify the gauge as you may think it's a 12 but it's really a 13. Below are some links that might be of interest to you.

Smo

The Skychief load definitely improved my 16 gauge patern..👍

As Wobbly said, What ya got?

I own a couple of smoothbores , ones a 1850's original 10 gauge I bought too Turkey hunt with and have found my "round tooit" yet….

Track of the Wolf and Deer Creek Products along Mid South Shooters supply..( located in Clarksville) and many others are available on the net..👍
They all carry various m/l supplies..👍

Latest posts